Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy SpecBoxster

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everything you list if fine to do with the exception of the LN developed IMS bearing. That is one of the items that Jake has submitted for approval. It should be accepted imho.

All of that and more is also in BRAG's build kit you asked about earlier.

Originally Posted by Gary R.
It wasn't Spec Boxster specific Paul, just seems I read that they had figured out how to rebuild the stock M96 motor for better longevity, which i'm sure (since they aren't sealed) wouldn't violate any SB rules.

Edit: a quick look at the LN site shows a couple things. Replacing the IMS bearing with their bearing and carrier seems like a smart idea along with running a 160F thermostat. With a 3rd (center) radiator the car should run cool in even the hottest ambient temps. What are the other weaknesses? I would run the sport oil seperator, deep sump baffled oil pan, and underdrive pulley. Also seems an oil pump gear is an issue, not sure how much of one though..
Old 01-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

The IMS isn't a performance gain, but is a reliability gain so I would think it would be embraced! Brad's kit is quite comprehensive and if I build a car it would be the way I go.

What are the "normal" failures? Is it IMS? Blown head gaskets from running too hot? Just curious..
Old 01-19-2010, 08:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,626 Likes on 2,311 Posts

most of nor cal BSR motors are over 100k miles. only one went bad.
cost 3500 to find one, why bother rebuilding?
that's like the cost of two set of hoosier for my GT3. if the motor can last one season, i am happy. and mine did.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:59 PM
VB997
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
The least expensive route is to buy a crate motor and accusump. Other than that you are gambling. I tried to go the used motor route and they didn't last. I ended up installing a crate motor and then selling the car. They are a blast to drive but the motor issues can bite you.
After receiving my third e-mail about this post I’ll have to ask. Why would you say you put a crate engine in the car I bought from you when you know it was a used engine. I don’t understand what motivated this post…
Old 01-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VB997
After receiving my third e-mail about this post I’ll have to ask. Why would you say you put a crate engine in the car I bought from you when you know it was a used engine. I don’t understand what motivated this post…
Old 01-20-2010, 02:11 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by VB997
It was a remanufactured engine from Porsche. I did not race the car after this engine was installed. to my knowledge it was new. I am not going to get into this on a public forum with you.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New is New, remanufactured crate engine is NOT NEW! Some of these engines are just as likely to blow up as an engine with 150,000 miles on it.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:35 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

What do you consider a new engine? A brand new 0 mile engine from Porsche was not available.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My biggest problem is that the motors are known time bombs, regardless of how many or few miles are on them. I hear guys talk about how cheap they are, but I do not see any $5000 cars or $3500 motors out there. I think that I might wait to see how this season pans out, but I see it costing around $30K to build a front running car (with a lot of personal labor) and then it could average out to a motor a year.

I would feel a lot better if we could build one right, and then not have to worry about it for a few hundred hours. That's where tha aircooled motors in the stock classes have a big advantage.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:33 PM
VB997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
It was a remanufactured engine from Porsche. I did not race the car after this engine was installed. to my knowledge it was new. I am not going to get into this on a public forum with you.
You referenced our transaction in a public forum. I had no interest in making anything public however several good friends that know what happened read it and e-mailed me. It’s factually incorrect, you know it, and that’s why I asked the motivation of your post. You didn’t have to say anything about a crate engine in your post and this would have been a non issue…

I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree that just because once upon a time Porsche remanufactured an engine that went into someone’s street car that ultimately came out with 30 K miles and went into the Spec Boxster you sold me that it’s no longer a crate engine. Maybe it’s just me, but to me, when someone advertises “Brand New Crate Engine” in a For Sale ad and during pre sales conversations the seller says “it has zero miles on it” and it’s a “Remanufactured engine from Porsche” then the buyer finds out it has thirty thousand miles on it after he bought it…it’s not really a crate engine anymore.

…it was probably just my misunderstanding of the whole transaction; clearly my fault for living in Virginia and buying a race car in Texas that I didn’t inspect personally.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Werkstatt
New is New, remanufactured crate engine is NOT NEW! Some of these engines are just as likely to blow up as an engine with 150,000 miles on it.
Now it sounds like this engine was:
A. A reman from Porsche, not new as stated
B. Was run in a road car for 30,000 miles
C. Was put in a Spec Boxster (or was the road car converted?)
D. Was sold as a new crate engine with 0 miles on it.

Back to my
Old 01-20-2010, 05:36 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I always thought that a crate motor is a new motor, you get them from a parts catalog, but a reman'd engine has miles on parts of it. That's how it worked way back in my FoMoCo days.

More to the topic:
Originally Posted by Larry Herman
My biggest problem is that the motors are known time bombs, regardless of how many or few miles are on them. I hear guys talk about how cheap they are, but I do not see any $5000 cars or $3500 motors out there.
Larry, you're singing the 944SuperCup theme more than you know it. I ran upfront all year last year and have just as much car left for this year, I'm in it for well under 20K and never had so much racing. Just move the engine up front and add water.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:40 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

A remanufactured engine from Porsche was installed in the car before it was sold. It was later discovered that this engine had 30K street miles on it. In an effort to make John feel better about the deal, once this was discovered, I purchased a set of wheels and tires for him.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:37 PM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

a used 944 motor is < $1000
steel control arms $40 bucks each !
cant beat it...
Old 01-20-2010, 07:09 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the going rate for a sorted and in-good-shape SB?

Quick Reply: Looking to buy SpecBoxster