Sponsored by:

Aiptek Camera setting summary

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 03:50 PM
spieln
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aiptek Camera setting summary

I just picked up an Action HP GVS and have read just about every thread for the Aiptek camera. It looks like the camera has far more functions than I need. Here is a summary of what I think is best along with a few I am still wondering about:

Regular lense

Film in 720-60
Turn off the stabilization
Turn off the Auto off
Auto Focus - on or off or does it matter? Have tried both and have not seen much difference
White balance - auto or set to actual settings (cloudy,sunny etc.)?

I also bought a Raynox 505 wide angle lense and here is how I am trying it.

Film in 720-60
Turn off stabilization
Set in Macro mode-regular mode was fuzzy.
Auto Focus- On of off?
White balance - auto or actual setting?

BTW the 505 is a great lense. Solid mounting and does not appear to distort.

I also need to make the camera mount hack as discussed on here. the camera really does shake a lot.

Next I need to experiment with the external lapel microphone.

Anybody ever shoot in the WVGA mode, whatever that is?

Any other pointers?
Old 01-14-2010, 04:31 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your summary as I get ready to head down this path as well.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Stuff a band-aid folded up between the battery and the cover, tape it shut. How does the 505 go on, it isn't magnetic? Can't help with the other setting as mine is the A-HD+ but if I run mine in macro its so blurry you can't see much. It accidentaly got flipped, ruined the video for my best finish at NJMP.. It's superglued in place now.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:10 PM
spieln
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Stuff a band-aid folded up between the battery and the cover, tape it shut. How does the 505 go on, it isn't magnetic? Can't help with the other setting as mine is the A-HD+ but if I run mine in macro its so blurry you can't see much. It accidentaly got flipped, ruined the video for my best finish at NJMP.. It's superglued in place now.
THe 505 has spring loaded catches that hook on the inside of the front lense. Works great and really expands the view. With the 505 on, it looks like you have to set it to macro ony.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Tape something 100' or so away (like moving cars) and look at it on your computer (mine didn't look horrible on the 2.5" screen). Maybe they changed something.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:05 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Gary,
The GVS model has a larger lens diameter that takes the Raynox wide angle converter. It won't fit on the smaller lens diameters of the earlier models [dammit].
Old 01-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Gary,
The GVS model has a larger lens diameter that takes the Raynox wide angle converter. It won't fit on the smaller lens diameters of the earlier models [dammit].
Ahh, electrical tape is fine!! I'm more curious how the macro setting works on his and totally screws mine up...
Old 01-15-2010, 05:00 PM
paralleltangent
Instructor

My wife gave me the GVS,Raynox 505, IO Port mount, etc. for xmas... I've only had a chance to play with it a little, been busy getting the car back together. So far, it appears that the macro setting resets (is turned off) when the camera is powered down/back up again. Is this right? Does anyone know a way to get the camera to default to macro?
Old 01-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Still seems strange that the GVS users need to use macro mode with the wide angle lens while we A-HD+ users don't.

On the A-HD+, Macro mode is a hardware switch, so it doesn't reset. I doubt there's an easy way to make the GVS default to Macro mode if it's setup within the UI/software.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:52 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I bought an older Sony WA lens for use with my GVS. No problem with distortion or blurriness. Chris M was using one at Rd Atl and I got to see it in action. It has to be taped on but other than that it does a bang up job.

This lens was being re-designed so if you don't get the older version, who knows what it may be like.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:49 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Still seems strange that the GVS users need to use macro mode with the wide angle lens while we A-HD+ users don't.
I don't have a GVS model to check this, but its highly unlikely that the Macro could be made a default setting. FWIW wide angle adaptors generally operate in normal [non-macro] mode. For in-car use, turn auto focus off and set manual focus to infinity.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
I bought an older Sony WA lens for use with my GVS. No problem with distortion or blurriness. Chris M was using one at Rd Atl and I got to see it in action. It has to be taped on but other than that it does a bang up job.

This lens was being re-designed so if you don't get the older version, who knows what it may be like.
My taped-on lens stays there all the time, and even after removing and replacing the lens cap dozens of times, the lens hasn't moved at all. These cameras have great video and sound.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:28 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Chris, what kind of tape did you use to tape the lens on?
Old 01-15-2010, 10:55 PM
paralleltangent
Instructor

Yeah, I didn't figure there was a way to have it default to macro. I'll have to play with it some more to see if I can make it work without it, but in my short time messing with it I had the same result as Tim. I wonder if it's something unique to the Raynox? Unfortunately I don't have another wide-angle lens to test with.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:45 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts

I also use the 505 lens with my GVS - macro mode is necessary otherwise everything is out of focus. It's a great lens, by the way - snaps on really snug!

Quick Reply: Aiptek Camera setting summary