Sponsored by:

Aiptek Camera setting summary

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
I also use the 505 lens with my GVS - macro mode is necessary otherwise everything is out of focus. It's a great lens, by the way - snaps on really snug!
Boy it almost sounds like the settings are reversed. Without the wideangle, is a long distance shot blurry when not in macro?
Old 01-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Chris, what kind of tape did you use to tape the lens on?
Electrical.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Nice to have a bit of a compendium on this. I have perused many of the Aiptek-related threads and they have been helpful. I have not, however figured out which is the current, preferred wide angle lens for the A-HD+ camera which I have. Whatever it is, I am sure it must be taped on, but which of the various wide angles mentioned in the past is the current favorite for the A-HD+?
Old 01-16-2010, 06:22 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Boy it almost sounds like the settings are reversed. Without the wideangle, is a long distance shot blurry when not in macro?
Hey Gary - without the lens attached, and with no Macro enabled, everything is normal. But with the lens on, it needs Macro otherwise it can't focus.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Racin44
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mahler9th, I too am using the A-HD+, and will be looking for an appropriate wide angle. I figured that since unlike many of the other Aiptek models, ours has the threading in place for the lens cover, that we'd be in a better position to add a lens in the more traditional way, sans electrical tape. If you find a good solution, please do let me know.

Nick R.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Racin44
Hey Mahler9th, I too am using the A-HD+, and will be looking for an appropriate wide angle. I figured that since unlike many of the other Aiptek models, ours has the threading in place for the lens cover, that we'd be in a better position to add a lens in the more traditional way, sans electrical tape. If you find a good solution, please do let me know.
Threading? I have 2 A-HD+'s and neither of them have threading. I've seen probably 30+ other Aipteks and none of them have every had threading at the lens. And none of the pictures at the Aiptek website show threading. Can you post a picture of your camera so we can see what you've got?
Old 01-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Threading? I have 2 A-HD+'s and neither of them have threading. I've seen probably 30+ other Aipteks and none of them have every had threading at the lens. And none of the pictures at the Aiptek website show threading. Can you post a picture of your camera so we can see what you've got?

Yup, no threading. Most aftermarket wide angle lenses are magnetically attached, and you should also use electrical tape to make sure it doesn't come off. Below is a video I shot at TWS in November just after I attached the WA lens to my Aiptek. Sound still sucks, but the picture is good to go!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Old 01-18-2010, 12:30 PM
spieln
Rennlist Member

Hey Gary - without the lens attached, and with no Macro enabled, everything is normal. But with the lens on, it needs Macro otherwise it can't focus.
This is the same result that I have experienced. Might try turning off the autofocus and then attaching the lense but I think it will still be blurry.

I bought a lapel mic and tried it Saturday. Works great with little wind noise.

I get a high pitched whine when I record using the internal mic. Anybody else notice this? I have sent Aiptek an e-mail to see what they say.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by spieln
This is the same result that I have experienced. Might try turning off the autofocus and then attaching the lense but I think it will still be blurry.

I bought a lapel mic and tried it Saturday. Works great with little wind noise.

I get a high pitched whine when I record using the internal mic. Anybody else notice this? I have sent Aiptek an e-mail to see what they say.
Did you do the "put a piece of band-aid over the mic" mod? Worked great for many of us.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:35 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, I also have that high-pitched whine - very annoying and limits this camera to race-car usage! Is the whine gone with the external microphone?
Old 01-18-2010, 12:35 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Did you do the "put a piece of band-aid over the mic" mod? Worked great for many of us.
Oooh, I need to try that!
Old 01-18-2010, 03:26 PM
spieln
Rennlist Member

Yes, I also have that high-pitched whine - very annoying and limits this camera to race-car usage! Is the whine gone with the external microphone?
No whine with external mic. Plus it has a long cord so you can put it about any place in the car.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Racin44
Advanced

I'll try to snap a picture soon. It has the model V5VP on the decal under the battery. It has a lens cover that snaps in place INSIDE the bezel of the lens assembly, and there are threads there for it to grab on to.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:57 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Racin44
I'll try to snap a picture soon. It has the model V5VP on the decal under the battery. It has a lens cover that snaps in place INSIDE the bezel of the lens assembly, and there are threads there for it to grab on to.
Same model number on both of my cameras...but no threads for a lens attachment. On mine, there's a ridge that the lens cover will clip into, but definitely no threads for a wide angle lens to screw into.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:24 AM
Racin44
Advanced

OK, I looked better at the camera under good lighting and realized that what I was seeing was was just an imperfect casting edge to the 'lip' that the lens cover grabs, which at a glance looks like an outer thread circling the inner circumference at the end of lens shroud. Sorry for the commotion! So, how's that electrical tape go on then???

Quick Reply: Aiptek Camera setting summary