Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the allure of the SPBox class?.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:18 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I look forward to seeing how this class grows during the 2010 season. This might end up being what the 944's have been for the past 10-15 years in PCA racing. Nothing beats tightly controlled, lower budget race craft with awesome and abundant competition. I hope F class participation doesn't disappear.....
Old 01-13-2010, 10:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,694 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
Are the B-spec cars that much cheaper or are there running costs that much cheaper. I understand tires and engines are alot cheaper than air cooled 911s and cups But are the cars themselves that much cheaper. I have seen -B-spec "podium" cars that are advertised for 35-50k. And is this the kind of car that you're going to need if you want to be competitive? Just wunderin.
if you have a car built, it's 35-40k. that will be a very nice car.
in theory you can do one with 20-25k. but i dont build my own cars so i ended up paying more.
and at 35-40k, your car should have the potential to be a winning car.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
But you would. Learn from the mistakes of other Spec classes before you. Choose one chassis, one engine, one etc. and EVERYTHING is better in the long term. Spec Miata is a disaster in some senses because of the multiple 'chassis' that are running in the group. Everyone is complaining/campaigning for the 1.6/1.8 issues. The class is diluted in that sense. The second you add to the choices you begin a class that should be named Similar Boxster not Spec Boxster.
I see your point now, Joe. I'm with ya.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:01 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKraut
GTS-2 is correct. Min weight for SPBOX is 2650 (w/drover). One SPBOX driver ran NASA last year and had to add 50# of ballast (dyno was 192 hp). I believe that he ran the R888 and was still a second or so faster than the rest of the GTS-2 class in Texas.
I dyno'ed at 190 and the GTS-2 multiplier is 14.5 so min weight for my car is 2755 lbs. I threw in 50lbs of lead for ballast and carried 55 lbs of fuel (1/2 tank) to bump me up from my PCA weight of 2650.

Against air cooled 911s and mid-90's BMWs the car dominated. I did one event on R888 and had a second or two on the field. Ran one event on Hoosiers and quali'ed 3 seconds faster than the field. For perspective I only run in the top 1/3 or top 1/4 of the SPBOX field, so with a better driver the gap would be even more impressive.

It really is a great platform for NASA. And with the weights close enough between NASA and PCA it is easy to run both. Just another reason to jump on board.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by M_Weining
Gary, if D is shrinking, just put that euro SC engine in your D car and race with all the cars in E !
Just saw this Mark.. The engine in my 73 RSR clone would put me in a GT class of some sort. As for D, hopefully it will stay a strong class and my car will stay fairly local. I have always admired the Boxster engineering and I really think that is the direction I want to go. The fact that it will run and be competitive in NASA is icing on the cake!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:12 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
The Werkstatt Cville Spec Box ran GTS-2 in NASA. Can use Hoosiers.
I got a chance to drive this car at VIR in Septmber. Huge wood. I qualify this as a lowly 944 drover, I am not fully worthy. Car was also set up by a pro. First class and a comfortable drive.....See how the race fields develop....
Old 01-14-2010, 08:38 AM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Just saw this Mark.. The engine in my 73 RSR clone would put me in a GT class of some sort. As for D, hopefully it will stay a strong class and my car will stay fairly local. I have always admired the Boxster engineering and I really think that is the direction I want to go. The fact that it will run and be competitive in NASA is icing on the cake!
I hear yeah. And yes, the SPBX seems to have a lot going for it. Being a front runner in GTS-2 is a nice plus to help round out the racing season until there are lot's of SPBX races in a given area like the 44Cup series.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:47 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Running GTS 2 with NASA and trying to maintain stock status with PCA is a pain in the ***. SB seems like a nice way to have the best of both worlds. I need to be 2906 with PCA but can be 2740 with NASA. That's an awful lot of ballast to go back and forth. I would also love to upgrade my brakes for NASA but can't for PCA stock class. The Boxster comes with pretty damn good brakes compared to the 911 and the weight ratio looks to be much better.

Now you guys really got me thinkin.....
Old 01-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Scott,

I'll give you a test ride once my car is finished

Originally Posted by good hands
Running GTS 2 with NASA and trying to maintain stock status with PCA is a pain in the ***. SB seems like a nice way to have the best of both worlds. I need to be 2906 with PCA but can be 2740 with NASA. That's an awful lot of ballast to go back and forth. I would also love to upgrade my brakes for NASA but can't for PCA stock class. The Boxster comes with pretty damn good brakes compared to the 911 and the weight ratio looks to be much better.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:09 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Gents, Is the official site / forum the best place to get info? Are there other forums dedicated to this platform and creating SPbox car?

It seems like the Midwest is always the last place for these spec classes to catch on. Anyone here planning on running SPbox in the Midwest?

Andy
Old 01-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands

your just getting scared of Hunt arent you?? and me too yeh thats it.
Just start out here and boom they throw this into the mix. Im really liking the 911 now, i dont want to be a secretary.
but boy this seems like it could be alot of fun and some very large events if everyone decides to go wtih the switch, ill be taggin along.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy,
We are finishing a build for a gentleman in Chicago right now and will be taking it to Sebring in 3 weeks for him to race. That Spec Boxster will be back in the Mid West by the end of March, he might be waiting to run Road Atlanta before bringing it home. We jumped on the Boxster platform 18 months ago after doing our homework and realizing the ease of dual sanction racing. You will never have the best of both worlds but this is the closest car we have found. We live in a NASA rich area and the only thing we do to the car to run GTS-2 is add a little weight and put on a set of Hoosiers. These cars are get in and go, very little maintenance.
Scott
Old 01-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

" i dont want to be a secretary."

Don't let Costa see that comment, he might ram ya up the butt!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:40 AM
BigKraut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Gents, Is the official site / forum the best place to get info?
You be the judge.

Official

UnOffficial

Last edited by BigKraut; 01-14-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Figured out how to rename the link! :)
Old 01-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

Scott and Kenny build nice cars. I have been in their shop numerous times and have seen the attention to detail first hand. Scott let me drive the #186 car at VIR during its development and it was a fun ride like Ted A said. I also have started pondering selling my F car to get into a Spec Box. I think we are going to see a good sized increase in the number of these showing up on the east coast.

Quick Reply: What is the allure of the SPBox class?.....