Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:50 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SCCA Double National at Sebring this weekend

1) REALLY Cold
2) RAINY Saturday (all day)
3) LOTS of racers. 55 racers in my run group alone and there were 6 run groups.

Despite the cold and rain, yesterday's sessions were a lot of fun and I had one of the better races with someone that I've had in a long time. I also had the scariest rain race of my life on Saturday. Pouring rain as Sebring during a race...not for the faint of heart.

The only reason I'm posting this is that I started in SCCA and then didn't run any for a couple of years as I stuck to PCA, PBOC, NASA, etc. However, after this weekend, I'm reminded that there is really good racing and most of the time, the races are probably run better than other a lot of other organizations....

The worst thing about SCCA for Porsche guys is that there's not a lot of Porsche's and the rulebook/classification system is a bit cumbersome. I do think I talked someone into registering for the 48 Hours in 3 weeks though who wasn't planning to come.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you still coming to Winterfest this weekend ?. It was freezing at PBIR too with the instructor school. Pure misery.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:36 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Did you run GT2 class in a stocl GT3 cup? What were the fastest GT2 times?
Old 01-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
1) REALLY Cold
2) RAINY Saturday (all day)
3) LOTS of racers. 55 racers in my run group alone and there were 6 run groups.

Despite the cold and rain, yesterday's sessions were a lot of fun and I had one of the better races with someone that I've had in a long time. I also had the scariest rain race of my life on Saturday. Pouring rain as Sebring during a race...not for the faint of heart.

The only reason I'm posting this is that I started in SCCA and then didn't run any for a couple of years as I stuck to PCA, PBOC, NASA, etc. However, after this weekend, I'm reminded that there is really good racing and most of the time, the races are probably run better than other a lot of other organizations....

The worst thing about SCCA for Porsche guys is that there's not a lot of Porsche's and the rulebook/classification system is a bit cumbersome. I do think I talked someone into registering for the 48 Hours in 3 weeks though who wasn't planning to come.
Sounds like pleasure & pain!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 01-11-2010, 01:41 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

come to ny i will show you what cold and misery is!!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:43 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Peter,
I saw your name on the entry list.. wondering if you ran your cup or gt-4 car? Agreed that SCCA provides some great racing. My gripe with SCCA is amount of track time, but at a double weekend you can't beat the level of competition/track time/entry fee.

Mitch
Old 01-11-2010, 03:46 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

It was extremely cold for the turkey trot as well... thankfully we at least had no rain though. I wanted to go this past weekend, but I only have a regional license right now.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:51 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Mike-

I ran my GT4 car ('86 911). Really outmatched in SCCA GT2 considering 996 Cup Cars are in GT2. The fastest 996 Cup time was a 2:15:1 which was pretty good. That will probably be top 3 at the 48 Hours.

Erik-

I'm only doing the 6 hour night race at Winterfest this year. My Cup Car isn't quite ready so rather than run my blue car all weekend, I'm just co-driving with someone else in the 6 Hour.

Mitch -

Yeah, we didn't get a ton of track time. Friday we had two qualifying sessions, Saturday was a qualifier and a race, Sunday was qualifier and a race.

Peter
Old 01-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Barfly
Racer

You think you had it bad. I was in group 1 in a SRF. It was mid 30 degrees with constant rain. I don't want to experience that again in an open cockpit car.

______
Jason
Old 01-11-2010, 07:32 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Oh man Jason, I remember those times in my SRF. I came into the pits once during a test session for a set-up change. I think this was 1994 or 5. It wasn't raining hard, but when I went back out I realized how cold it was even wearing a Simpson suit! First and only time I ever wish I was in a closed cockpit car! That wind went right through that wet suit.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Barfly
Racer

Originally Posted by srf506
Oh man Jason, I remember those times in my SRF. I came into the pits once during a test session for a set-up change. I think this was 1994 or 5. It wasn't raining hard, but when I went back out I realized how cold it was even wearing a Simpson suit! First and only time I ever wish I was in a closed cockpit car! That wind went right through that wet suit.
I could barely move my fingers or toes. It was rough. I wouldn't have run had I not qualified 2nd. If I was outside of the top 10, I would have stayed in the hotel, especially given we had a 2nd race on Sunday. I think only about half of the 56 registered raced that day.

______
Jason
Old 01-11-2010, 09:27 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Peter
Thanks for taking one for the team, I think the weather is going to clear and be absolutely sterling. Look forward to your input on the mighty Demi-Cup. I will email details
Old 01-12-2010, 01:26 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Barfly
You think you had it bad. I was in group 1 in a SRF. It was mid 30 degrees with constant rain. I don't want to experience that again in an open cockpit car.

______
Jason
I gotta tell you, I went upstairs in the stand area and watched your race. I kept thinking the whole time that you guys were CRAZY and some of you were going to get hypothermia...

Originally Posted by VERBOTN125
Peter
Thanks for taking one for the team, I think the weather is going to clear and be absolutely sterling. Look forward to your input on the mighty Demi-Cup. I will email details
Looking forward to it Christian!

Quick Reply: SCCA Double National at Sebring this weekend