Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Trailer for DE

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 03:08 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Thinking about a Trailer for DE

I am thinking about going in a little deeper into DE. This is my 9th year and I usually do 15-20 days per year. Most of the days are local at LRP, but I do make a few trips to Watkins Glen and Monticello. If I had a trailer I would consider traveling to other places.

My biggest hurdle, besides the initial cost, is parking the trailer which I will have to pay since I don't have space at my house.

So, I have a 2010 BMW X5 Diesel (425 lbs torque) which says 6,000 lbs capacity, and I will be towing my 996 GT3. If will have an electronic brake controller and the BMW towing kit installed if I go forward with a purchase.

I am leaning towards a Featherlite open trailer. A closed trailer is not an option for me.

Any suggestions on what I should look for and the going price (new/used). I would prefer to buy used to minimize the costs.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1..._Trailers.html
Old 01-08-2010, 03:49 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a great 2007 Featherlite open for sale with air dam and tire rack! Stored indoors, purchased in late '08.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:49 PM
spieln
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an 07 Trailex last year for $4500. Included tire rack and tool box. It has worked out great for me.
Attached Images  

Last edited by spieln; 01-08-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Sounds like the BMW diesel will tow great, considering a Cayenne S does. Just for overkill, I would add a equalizer/anti-sway setup like the Reese Straight-Line and go!
Old 01-08-2010, 06:11 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also have a trailex 7451 and love it. Perfect for what you are after!
Old 01-08-2010, 06:46 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

First thing is to make sure there's room for a set of my wheels on board There are so many PCA junkies down there in Fairfield County that I'm sure somebody has a property where you could store a trailer. You sure enclosed isn't an option - sure would be nice to keep things dry and that opens the door to somewhat permanent storage of some of your "stuff" in the locked trailer (as long as it's in a secure location). Get in touch with the shops around us, like Dan Jacobs, to ask if they know of any drailers. When I was picking up my car a few weeks ago one of the junkies there was trying to move an extra trailer. I'll make an inquiry and let you know. There's a PCA CVR sponsor "Trailer Depot" that has hosted a few monthly meetings. Real nice people and they have what you need (Featherlite dealer), might even have a demo / used. http://www.thetrailerdepot.com/
Old 01-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Featherlight makes good stuff.

Good luck.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:38 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1...R-TRAILER.html

Can someone tell me why this is less expensive than spieln's Trailex above? I'd think that an enclosed trailer would cost more. Maybe because it takes more vehicle to tow it?

Enlighten me, I'd like to have a trailer one day.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Have you tried racing junk ?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by number9ine

Can someone tell me why this is less expensive than spieln's Trailex above? I'd think that an enclosed trailer would cost more. Maybe because it takes more vehicle to tow it?

Construction materials - steel, lauan vs. aluminum

Weight

How they are built (sidewall stud spacing, floor crossmember spacing, type of wood or wood like material used for interior walls, thickness of floor, type of doors and latches, LED vs regular lights etc. etc. etc.

The best open aluminum car trailers are more $$$ than the cheapo steel framed enclosed units.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:16 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by number9ine

Yes, aluminum trailers will weigh 1000 to 1300 lbs. Enclosed trailers are pretty heavy for towing with an X5. You should try and stay way below the 3 ton weight capacity. By the time you load up a newer 911 with tires etc, your going be just under 5000 lbs with an open aluminum. You will also find the gas mileage on a fully enclosed drops even more than an open.

The aluminum trailers have minimal maintenance and will retain value.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:22 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

All good points.
I will checkout racking junk website and the trailerdepot.
I like the idea of a 2007 Featherlite trailer, but Michigan is a little too far. I would be looking in the Tristate area.

Yes, I am hoping the BMW diesal will be a good tow vechicle. I looked at the Cayenne S and for 20K+ it did not make any sense for my application daily driver (wife & kids), and a some times tow vehicle. Moreover, comparing gas mileage the X5 was a hands down winner (26+ mpg vs. 18 for the S).

Seems like Trailex and Featherlite are the two good choices. I thought I heard the Trailex did not weigh a much, thus more expensive. Also, these are probably the only good option for my X5 because of the towing capacity.

Next Step is to find a place for reasonable storage place & price in my area otherwise the trailer is a no-go.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:37 PM
tcbrown
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an '04 GT3 and went through the same trailer selection process this past summer and ended up getting the Trailex. One important consideration with a GT3 is the length of the ramps and the ability to load without clearance problems. The Trailex came with longer ramps than the Featherlite and was much easier to load.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr

Seems like Trailex and Featherlite are the two good choices. I thought I heard the Trailex did not weigh a much, thus more expensive. Also, these are probably the only good option for my X5 because of the towing capacity.

The Trailexs seem to weigh less but I think it's due to the fact that the Featherlites have the full trailer surface and the Trailex has just the wheel area and an open middle area.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Trailer for DE