Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Trailer for DE

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:20 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Joe mentions above. Trailex is very much an open arrangement. I am finally getting around to selling my Motiv all aluminum trailer having to go enclosed for sleeping quarters. It is no longer economical to spend for lodging (although nothing beats pressed sheets) on race weekends. I had an older Trailex before I got this one and the Motiv tows better plus sits lower. My car is at RSR height and I can load it without scraping the front air dam.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:41 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr

Next Step is to find a place for reasonable storage place & price in my area otherwise the trailer is a no-go.
Open trailex can probably be stored in your garage. You can check the measurements at trailex.com.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Trailex resale time can be measured in minutes.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rented from UHaul to try it out. I don't do enough DEs to justify the cost to buy, store and maintain a trailer, but for one or two longer trips (VIR, Mid O, WG) I will rent from UHaul. Their trailers are heavy, but if you go to the shop and pick out a good one, they're safe. You do need to make sure your car is not too low for their setup. They have some spots on the trailer where my car was mighty close to scraping (lowered 944).

It really was nice to have room for my kids and a vehicle for bumming around.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:51 AM
fat cab
Pro

I bought all steel trailer, and it is HEAVY,also tow farm toy's with it, I get alot of use out of it.

Last edited by fat cab; 02-26-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:38 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I've owned both a Featherlite and a Trailex (which I have now). A few points, the Trailex 7541 is quite a bit lighter and really holds its value used. It also can be adjusted (axles) to work really well with the rear weigh bias of the 911 and has virtually any accessory available (tire rack, front sheild, storage boxes, etc). If you can swing the extra up front cost on the Trailex vs. the Featherlite, I would recommend the Trailex when towing with an SUV.

http://www.trailex.com/CT-7541.cfm
Old 01-09-2010, 11:42 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spieln
I bought an 07 Trailex last year for $4500. Included tire rack and tool box. It has worked out great for me.
Ours looks just like this (Midnight Blue CaymanS) except we tow it behind a Mercedes ML 320CDI. Bought last summer for pretty near exactly what you paid.

Originally Posted by dave morris
Open trailex can probably be stored in your garage. You can check the measurements at trailex.com.
Ours doesn't fit by just inches. I could punch out the drywall at the end of the garage and it would go - also the tire rack is currently too high to fit under the door, but I suppose I could lower it an inch or two. I moved the trailer in last summer and turned it 90 degrees (across the stalls) so I could jack it up and move the axles back - it was set for a front-engine car and the CS is mid so I needed more tongue weight and better balance.
If our trailex had electric brakes instead of surge, it would fit in the garage.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I rented from UHaul to try it out. I don't do enough DEs to justify the cost to buy, store and maintain a trailer, but for one or two longer trips (VIR, Mid O, WG) I will rent from UHaul. Their trailers are heavy, but if you go to the shop and pick out a good one, they're safe. You do need to make sure your car is not too low for their setup. They have some spots on the trailer where my car was mighty close to scraping (lowered 944).

It really was nice to have room for my kids and a vehicle for bumming around.
+1 on U-Haul rental (or Penske) as another option, but a Trailex is a good investment too. Tows fine on my '03 X5.
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2010, 12:05 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scraping can be an issue with lots of trailers - get long ramps if available and/or RaceRamps (we use them).
Old 01-09-2010, 12:10 PM
fat cab
Pro

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
Scraping can be an issue with lots of trailers - get long ramps if available and/or RaceRamps (we use them).
i found this to help with low car issues.http://www.tiltahitch.com/
Old 01-09-2010, 12:17 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I love the Trailex 7541 I purchased 5 years ago. Great engineering with high quality components and a breeze to move around. Some of the newer ones come with a solid floor, certainly an upgrade but a nice option.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:36 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Garage would be a good option and a trailer might fit. However, I don't think the trailer would fit with the car on it (enterence is about 6" 5""). Also, I would like the p-car to live in the garage especially since I already have two cars in my driveway. I probably could park the trailer in my driveway, but my wife would have a cow, and I am sure the neighbors would not be too happy.

The rental option from Uhaul is another potential, and will be the most economical with no storage concerns. One concern would be the weight of the heavy trailer, and not knowing what I get until I arrive at the place. Also, my car is lowered so I might run into scraping issues.

Good to hear an 03 X5 could two a heavy u-haul trailer. I am guessing Kenin_Ersatz's X5 has a V8?

I like the idea of the longer ramps on thr Tarilex for loading without clearance issues.

In any case, once the winter chil is over I will probably install the tow equiptment it least this way I will have an option to rent or purchase a trailer.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought a new trailer from Trailer World. Great trailer and a good company.

www.trailerworld.com
Old 01-09-2010, 03:17 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
Garage would be a good option and a trailer might fit. However, I don't think the trailer would fit with the car on it (enterence is about 6" 5""). Also, I would like the p-car to live in the garage especially since I already have two cars in my driveway. I probably could park the trailer in my driveway, but my wife would have a cow, and I am sure the neighbors would not be too happy.
6' 5" should be no problem; ie, a GT3 sitting on a trailex backed into your garage shouldn't be more than that height. But measure stem to stern. That will be the issue probably
Old 01-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Accelerator
Racer

Trailex made mine with the tongue 6" shorter and it fits nicely into my garage. I was also able to lower the tire rack 4" to clear the door. That's one of the nice features of the Trailex. Everything is bolted together and can be moved around to suit.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Trailer for DE