Tow Vehicle Neede

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 12:39 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Charlie B, you may be right, but I still have my doubts.
Yeah, it's not really a reputation they can get rid of.

Granted, I just sold it and bought a diesel F250, but that's cause I don't have to deal with a wife/whoever trying to drive it.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:40 PM
manalex
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Veloce Raptor;7188446]Disagree. Diesel pickups typically cost (new) $7,000+ more than their gas counterparts. It takes an AWFULLY large number of gallons, when you are making a couple of MPG more with a diesel, to overcome that acquisition cost. In addition, modern turbodiesel maintenance costs over the long term are much higher than gas. IMO the only exception to this is if you live in and/or tow to an area with numerouns & EXTREMELY steep hills, such as the entrance road to Laguna Seca.

Two points to consider: don't think he's considering new so the differeces are much less on a lower milage vehicle. The other point, resale value. Try to sell a +100k gas v. diesel, all other things being equal you'll make up the difference easily. At +200k the deltas are much greater particularly in a well documented diesel truck as the engine is at 25% of its life.

Not sure what the difference in mpg is for <$5k lbs, but if you're towing more than that its more than just couple of mpg.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:49 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

With 5 pages of recommendations I’m surprised no one has brought up the Nissan Armada. I love mine. With 380ft/lbs of torque power has never been a problem (I tow a 6k+ open trailer). The only downside is 13mpg and it takes premium fuel. There is a factory service bulletin on the front brakes (upgraded pads and rotors) that needs to be done… I haven’t priced them lately, but my understanding is used value is through the floor, you can pick them up for peanuts.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:17 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

IMHO, the early 8.1's (2000-2002) are not ideal. In addition, those model year Subs had significant reliability issues overall. Better to spend a couple more bucks & get a later one. Plus, the later 8.1's had a lot mor epower & slightly better fuel economy, IIRC. Sadly, 2006 was the last model year for the 8.1 Suburban 2500 (3/4 ton), due to emission regulations.
Run the 6L on two turbos and e85 and everyone is happy. I am still trying to verify that the 07+ 2500s had the autoride suspension. I am still convinced the autoride saved my *** in my incident.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:33 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
With 5 pages of recommendations I’m surprised no one has brought up the Nissan Armada. I love mine. With 380ft/lbs of torque power has never been a problem (I tow a 6k+ open trailer). The only downside is 13mpg and it takes premium fuel. There is a factory service bulletin on the front brakes (upgraded pads and rotors) that needs to be done… I haven’t priced them lately, but my understanding is used value is through the floor, you can pick them up for peanuts.
Same motor as my Titan. I have never put premium in it.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 768 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendanC
Run the 6L on two turbos and e85 and everyone is happy. I am still trying to verify that the 07+ 2500s had the autoride suspension. I am still convinced the autoride saved my *** in my incident.
They do NOT. That have the Z85 (I think it is called) heavy duty/trailering suspension.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 01-02-2010, 06:40 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also throw into the mix a van. I picked up a Dodge Ram 250 Conversion van from my Father-in-law when he passed away. Plenty of towing capacity for my open trailer, a reasonable amount of cargo room, and gives me a place to camp at the track.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:57 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

They do NOT. That have the Z85 (I think it is called) heavy duty/trailering suspension.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
CRAPIOCA.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 356 Posts

4 runner SE w/ factory tow package. good for 7000#, comes w/ tranny cooler, and bigger front brakes. Works great!!!

An Armada or Sequoi was my second choices but they wouldn't fit in the garage.

When I raced keelboats a lwb 3/4 van w/ factory tow package was also a very good choice. Not so good if it doubles as a dd
Old 01-02-2010, 07:50 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
4 runner SE w/ factory tow package. good for 7000#, comes w/ tranny cooler, and bigger front brakes. Works great!!!

An Armada or Sequoi was my second choices but they wouldn't fit in the garage.

When I raced keelboats a lwb 3/4 van w/ factory tow package was also a very good choice. Not so good if it doubles as a dd
Bill,

What year and does it have 3rd row? I might be able to convince the wife to trade in the Honda Pilot.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by CornerCarver
Bill,

What year and does it have 3rd row? I might be able to convince the wife to trade in the Honda Pilot.
mine is '08 no third row, I keep the second row folded flat most of the time.

I think that you need the Sequoia for 3rd row seating, they are much bigger based on the Tundra or you could get a Landcruiser

'09 was the last year for 4runner V8 & 7k# tow rating
Old 01-02-2010, 08:55 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

I'm using a 1998 Ford Expedtion with the 5.4 triton v8 and air bag suspension, 2wd, and I pull my 24" enclosed trailer with car(944) and all the gear and I average about 7 - 8 mpg and can easily do 75mph on level ground. Between Columbus and Mid Ohio I am probably doing 65mph because going up the hills is a bitch in this thing kicks out of OD and runs about 3500rpms if not in OD. The expeditions are built on the F15 chassis and my 24" trailer is the LIMIT of what I would ever pull behind this rig. In high wind it can be squirly. My old 12" enclosed bike trailer, I pulled like not even there.

Gregg,
Since you're only looking at 4700 ish lbs, darn near any modern v6 motor would pull that. The Honda Rigline, any of the old Chevy Blazer/astro vans with the 4.3v6, probably the inline 5's of the trailblazer series. The open trailer eliminates most of the wind drag, although I've seen your setup and that overhead tire carrier at the front of the trailer will slow you down a bit; however, pulling behind a SUV will help with streamlining the air over it too. I've seen quite a few open trailers behind chevy astro vans, but I doubt you want a soccer mobile in your driveway I'm partial to astro vans for cheap tow and hauling because I used to haul my roadrace motorcycles in the back of them and the motors were good for many miles.

Diesel is what i want to move to next, mostly because it will give 'consistent' power and 'consistent' mileage and if I go dually, I'll get a more stable tow platform for my 24' trailer. Like Steward said, if you could find a good deal, even on a f250 or 2500gmc with diesel, that's a good running tow vehicle but will cost you more just because of the motor.

I tend to lean toward 2wd because you're using less running gear, but the 4x4 does come in handy when Putnam is a wet mess in that field of a parking lot so YMMV....

Sorry, guess i am just rambling on.

Tom
Old 01-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding the BMW X5 and other similar SUV's (Toyota FJ, the Ranger Rover LR3, and even the Benz ML) -- the short wheelbase on these trucks can make for a less stable setup, especially on the highways with lots of crosswinds.

OTOH, it does make it easier to swing the trailer around in tight spaces...

-Z-man.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:33 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JerryW
I'd also throw into the mix a van...

Any comment on this from the gallery? I have been looking quite a bit and vans seem cheaper than diesel pickups or Excursions. And I would prefer an enclosed vehicle anyways for security of my tools and such.

I have located a couple local diesel cargo vans... 1 is a 2006 CHEVROLET 3500 CARGO van with the 6.6L diesel, and the other is a 06 Ford E350 with the 6.0L. Both have around 75K miles and have reasonable asking prices that are 5K+ less than a F250 with 100K+ miles.

I don't care about luxury... I need a reliable tow/housework vehicle that I can take on 3hour tows to tracks around the region. I don't use it for daily driving and I don't have kids. As I said earlier, right now I am pulling ~4500lbs and maybe in a couple years would move to something enclosed. Would a diesel cargo van work for this?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:49 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schwank
Any comment on this from the gallery? I have been looking quite a bit and vans seem cheaper than diesel pickups or Excursions. And I would prefer an enclosed vehicle anyways for security of my tools and such.

I have located a couple local diesel cargo vans... 1 is a 2006 CHEVROLET 3500 CARGO van with the 6.6L diesel, and the other is a 06 Ford E350 with the 6.0L. Both have around 75K miles and have reasonable asking prices that are 5K+ less than a F250 with 100K+ miles.

I don't care about luxury... I need a reliable tow/housework vehicle that I can take on 3hour tows to tracks around the region. I don't use it for daily driving and I don't have kids. As I said earlier, right now I am pulling ~4500lbs and maybe in a couple years would move to something enclosed. Would a diesel cargo van work for this?
If you can avoid the Ford 6.0L... do it. I have a 6.0 because it is the only truck I could find with my specifications, but it isn't my first choice.

Quick Reply: Tow Vehicle Neede