Sponsored by:

DTM vs BTCC

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LoanWolf
I wish more factories would compete in the DTM (BMW for instance) and I'd love to see what a Jason Plato or Matt Neal etc could do in an international series like ALMS or even GrandAm.
Porsche has a sedan now...would you really want them competing in DTM in a prototype chassos car with a body that is supposed to look a little bit like a Panamera with a bunch of little winglets, while running a 4.0 liter V8 that shares nothing with any of it's production cars? That's what DTM is.

It doesn't fit the racing theory of either BMW or Porsche, which has always been to either race cars that are built from their street cars and street motors or to build prototypes designed to win LeMans. A prototype with a body designed to look sort of like their street cars, running a motor that shares nothing with their street motors, just doesn't fit the mold for BMW and Porsche.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:42 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Keshler
racing-underground.com

I don't have any invites, sorry.

Apparently it's on Speed also, but I imagine their coverage is delayed quite a bit.

what is this invite stuff? Can i get one? I dont understand the website
Old 12-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

As for Jason Plato, this video should sum it up. Watch to 1:50 for the real story...
You can do some silly things in FWD cars. Have seen near the same thing on World Challenge and even club racing weekends over the years...not sure as dramatic, but almost.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:55 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer WTCC to BTCC, but thats just my opinion.

DTM seems to collect alot of drivers from the GP2 ranks, and other junior formula series.

BTCC on the other hand, like British GT, has a pretty limited international following, and there isn't alot of money in it. It also attracts alot of privateer drivers, owner/drivers and gentleman/paying drivers.

As for Jason Plato, this video should sum it up. Watch to 1:50 for the real story...

I saw that...every time you catch a slide that turned you 90 degrees to the track, you're doing something right...
Old 12-09-2009, 04:59 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Porsche has a sedan now...would you really want them competing in DTM in a prototype chassos car with a body that is supposed to look a little bit like a Panamera with a bunch of little winglets, while running a 4.0 liter V8 that shares nothing with any of it's production cars? That's what DTM is.

It doesn't fit the racing theory of either BMW or Porsche, which has always been to either race cars that are built from their street cars and street motors or to build prototypes designed to win LeMans. A prototype with a body designed to look sort of like their street cars, running a motor that shares nothing with their street motors, just doesn't fit the mold for BMW and Porsche.
I am aware of their philosophy...would I like to watch them compete in the DTM? You bet!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:01 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
what is this invite stuff? Can i get one? I dont understand the website
It's a private torrent site and tracker which host HD rips of all televised racing series. Everything from ALMS to V8's. IMSA GTP classics and Asian Lemans, WSBR and FIA GT3...

However, we require members to seed as well as leech, to keep the community healthy, thus it is invite only, and members are allocated a cetain number of invited per year. I have exhausted all of mine for now, but the last one I had did go to a rennlister...
Old 12-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

I am aware of their philosophy...would I like to watch them compete in the DTM? You bet!
Given an unlimited budget? Sure, why not. Given that neither company has that, I'd rather see them continue to race where they are racing.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:35 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

No interest in Porsche racing (let alone building) four door cars. They should stick with GTs and prototypes.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rassel,
That makes good sense.

I wish more factories would compete in the DTM (BMW for instance) and I'd love to see what a Jason Plato or Matt Neal etc could do in an international series like ALMS or even GrandAm.
BMW, Citroën/Peugeot and Toyota/Lexus are all on the whiteboard. So is a regulation merger between Japanese Super GT and DTM.

But I wouldn't hold my breath for 2010 since 2010 regulations are frozen already and almost identical to 2009.

Just as you, I would really like to see more manufacturers involved in DTM. Would be great entertainment for sure.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:32 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Super GT regulations are all over the place, but that would be interesting...

Quick Reply: DTM vs BTCC