Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 03:43 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DM993tt
this is what happened to our car...
http://www.youtube.com/v/tFN1mHV1tDg&hl=en_US&fs
I get the impression that LeMons has gotten out of the business of destroying cars. At the October Texas race they announced that failure to submit a people's curse ballot would be counted as a nobody deserves to be destroyed vote. We are probably like most teams in that we couldn't bring ourselves to vote to destroy anyone's car. Also, I did not hear of any of the near terminal penalites like they use to do, like metal shavings in the crankcase.

Cheating is controlled with prerace penalty laps. As far as I know, my team is the only team awarded prerace bonus laps because the judges were so sure that we would not finish. We lasted 5 laps that time.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:47 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did it last year with Leh Keen @ CMP. Waaaay too much fun. We had v8 mustang and were fast, Leh put down the only sub 1 min lap of the weekend. I was a couple seconds off his pace. We installed a police siren which was hillarious for all of us
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnFiMaY2Dj8

but the effect on other drivers was not so favorable, so this is what happened to our car...
it almost doesnt look like it would be fun to be in a car that superior to everyone else..... it looked like he lapped the entire field in less than 4 minutes worth of driving! i'd have thought that the smart thing to do to 'win' this 'race' would have been to open up a couple lap lead (slowly, over maybe an hours time), sandbagging big time (plus saving the tires and brakes; the car could have done that at only a 6/10ths pace) and then coast along at the front, carefully and slowly picking your way thru the traffic, and avoiding penalties and infractions?

that vid looked like you could at will pass 15-20 plus cars per lap; i'd have been expecting the 'people's curse' award for sure!

too bad about the mustang; it looked and sounded like a good runner (i owned a 96 cobra for many years, and it was a good car, except for the el cheapo interior falling apart all the time).

todd
ReidSpeed
Old 12-07-2009, 04:46 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DCP
I get the impression that LeMons has gotten out of the business of destroying cars. At the October Texas race they announced that failure to submit a people's curse ballot would be counted as a nobody deserves to be destroyed vote. We are probably like most teams in that we couldn't bring ourselves to vote to destroy anyone's car. Also, I did not hear of any of the near terminal penalites like they use to do, like metal shavings in the crankcase.

Cheating is controlled with prerace penalty laps. As far as I know, my team is the only team awarded prerace bonus laps because the judges were so sure that we would not finish. We lasted 5 laps that time.
A lot of the reason behind that is unless you have someone who is irritating everyone, the vote count for cursing a car was really low. Iirc the 944 at nelson's got it with 9 votes. And it/they did not deserve it.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I did it last year with Leh Keen @ CMP. Waaaay too much fun. We had v8 mustang and were fast, Leh put down the only sub 1 min lap of the weekend. I was a couple seconds off his pace. We installed a police siren which was hillarious for all of us
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnFiMaY2Dj8

but the effect on other drivers was not so favorable, so this is what happened to our car...
That's very cool of Leh to do the race.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:31 PM
TR6
Drifting

Ibut the effect on other drivers was not so favorable, so this is what happened to our car...
Looks like it has some chassis flex. Especially when dropped from 20 feet....
Old 12-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
I am not sure this is the right place to post but this is a real race. They just had a nice overview of this racing series in Grassroots motorsports last month. I have about 5 friends who are committed to enter this series next year. anyone who I have talked to who has done it just can't stop talking about the fun they had. Anyone hear done it! Any suggestions on the type of car that would make a good project car and yet not get dinged by the crowd or the pit marshals?
Its fun racing something you give a damn about.

This is what we all have been saying right along.

My team and I participated in every race last year and the 1st one run at CMP. It IS great fun and truly reflects a love for all things motorsports. If any of you have not run it, I HIGHLY suggest on giving it a try. Some best fun I have ever had on track has been at these races.

C.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:15 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

little bit of experience from a local guy...

We had a nice group of guys to run in the Lemons race at Nelson's this past October. End result was we got the curse because our car (porsche 944) looked too nice and the darn balance shaft belt was too tight and caused a whining noise that sounded like a super charger.

My advice, make your car look like **** and keep a lo profile, or be a complete goof.
Our car was roller painted (but looked really really smooth) and had maybe 1 dent in it, too clean, way too clean. Even after giving out a bottle of scotch and passing around team themed cookies, we still got killed. It was our incident that caused Lemons to rethink the car destruction voting. Look it up on the lemons bbs, team dragon somethin.

None the less, it was a hoot to drive in pitch black night with nothing but reflectors in the corners to guide you around. And I had fun with the rest of the team, they were all people I met on here, rennlist, but in the end it was a total let down to get slammed for no reason at all. (no, I'm not whimpering)

Would i do it again? H3ll yes I would; 'but' I would go about the car selection and preperation completely different. Again, my advice is the crappier looking the better(or more beat up the better).

Tom
Old 12-08-2009, 01:34 PM
shmark
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
This is what we all have been saying right along.

My team and I participated in every race last year and the 1st one run at CMP. It IS great fun and truly reflects a love for all things motorsports. If any of you have not run it, I HIGHLY suggest on giving it a try. Some best fun I have ever had on track has been at these races.

C.
+500

It is definitely real racing, the guys all take it very seriously...with a BIG dose of fun thrown in. The CRX is going to run its FOURTH race this February and it's still holding together, despite blowing head gaskets on a regular basis. We've managed to finish every race and at the last one proved we could run at the front...uh...before blowing a head gasket. Great fun!
Old 12-08-2009, 01:51 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
That's very cool of Leh to do the race.
Leh is a friend and had done it before, he can also wheel anything he gets in the seat of, and has an uncanny ability to get through traffic. We had tons of laughs.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:03 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by d15b7
it almost doesnt look like it would be fun to be in a car that superior to everyone else..... it looked like he lapped the entire field in less than 4 minutes worth of driving! i'd have thought that the smart thing to do to 'win' this 'race' would have been to open up a couple lap lead (slowly, over maybe an hours time), sandbagging big time (plus saving the tires and brakes; the car could have done that at only a 6/10ths pace) and then coast along at the front, carefully and slowly picking your way thru the traffic, and avoiding penalties and infractions?

that vid looked like you could at will pass 15-20 plus cars per lap; i'd have been expecting the 'people's curse' award for sure!

too bad about the mustang; it looked and sounded like a good runner (i owned a 96 cobra for many years, and it was a good car, except for the el cheapo interior falling apart all the time).

todd
ReidSpeed
Nah it was fun. We were awarded 23 penalty laps, so we went out to try to get ourselves in good posistion after the first day, but had a draw on the battery that caused our car to die when the battery was drained. We had to spend a few hours in the pits diagnosing it and getting it back on track. When we did we were hours behind and decided to just go out and raise hell with the siren. We were cautious not to make any contact and just pick our way through the field, there was no question we had the fastest car with the fastest drivers. And after day 1 we knew we were going to get crushed. Jay Lamm came over to us after the morning mtg, day 2 and told us we had 3 options
1) pack up and go home to save the car
2) go out there and pu$$y foot around and hope for the best
3) go out there and keep having fun and watch the car get destroyed

There was really no choice at that time - it was 3 all the way...

He told us that the crushing would happen at lunch time and said if we want to take anything out of the car we could beforehand. So we gave ourselves a 1/2 hour to strip the thing as best we could and we got lots of good bits out before it got crushed. We were 2 bolts away from having the motor out....

The crushing was a right of passage for us we... it punctuates the whole story.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:31 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

It was the siren really that did it for sure

I remember the first time i heard it in the last turn before the front straight. Did a massive tun of the head in surprise. It really shocked me it was so loud. Could FEEL the grin under the helmet. I think you guys had like 26 votes or something right? All good stuff and you all took it in stride.

Quick Reply: 24 Hrs of Lemons