Sponsored by:

24 Hrs of Lemons

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:31 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 24 Hrs of Lemons

I am not sure this is the right place to post but this is a real race. They just had a nice overview of this racing series in Grassroots motorsports last month. I have about 5 friends who are committed to enter this series next year. anyone who I have talked to who has done it just can't stop talking about the fun they had. Anyone hear done it! Any suggestions on the type of car that would make a good project car and yet not get dinged by the crowd or the pit marshals?
Its fun racing something you give a damn about.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:54 PM
betegh9
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank, You might resurect your '97 GT-3 as long as you bought it back from the insurance company for $500.00 or less. The idea of LEMONS is to have fun for the least amount of $$$. there is no limit as to safety equipment expense, but the rest........... watch out!!

Go to a junk yard and wait for someone driving an old car (still running) in, and buy it for as little as possible before parts get pulled off.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:02 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We did it last year at the Nelson Ledges event. It was a ton of fun. We ran a 94 celica, which did okay. Front wheel drive celicas don't tend to do very well at all, but ours ran for 21 of 24 hours, though it did start overheating about 5 hours in, so we had to turn it down a bit. Blew the coil up early on sunday, but managed to get another one, and we finished. Finished about halway down the field. The judges and organizers want to see the strange and wierd on track now, so any of the cars that you think would do well, like e30's and miata's they are pretty tired of. We will be at 4-6 events next year, with the celica and our new race car, an 82 LeCar. There are actually about 3 series that are being run with about the same rules, which are Lemons, Chumpcar, and it looks like the organizers of Nelsons are running a couple of events there under the UsedCar banner. Both the lemons and chumpcar main sites have forums associated with them, and they are full of good info. Scour craigslist for the offbeat, trust me, you will find some goofy stuff near you for cheap. You just have to go into it with the right mindset. Most people who go are not there to win. But they are all there to have fun, and just about everyone there will pitch in and help to get you back on track when you break. It's addictive, and a good way to get a bunch of track time for fairly cheap. Pm me if you have any questions.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:04 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

I have read the rules. Looking for some advice on car selection. I have been told, no miatas, or real heavy cars best to get an automatic, good headlights so on.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:09 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DAVISRILEY
We did it last year at the Nelson Ledges event. It was a ton of fun. We ran a 94 celica, which did okay. Front wheel drive celicas don't tend to do very well at all, but ours ran for 21 of 24 hours, though it did start overheating about 5 hours in, so we had to turn it down a bit. Blew the coil up early on sunday, but managed to get another one, and we finished. Finished about halway down the field. The judges and organizers want to see the strange and wierd on track now, so any of the cars that you think would do well, like e30's and miata's they are pretty tired of. We will be at 4-6 events next year, with the celica and our new race car, an 82 LeCar. There are actually about 3 series that are being run with about the same rules, which are Lemons, Chumpcar, and it looks like the organizers of Nelsons are running a couple of events there under the UsedCar banner. Both the lemons and chumpcar main sites have forums associated with them, and they are full of good info. Scour craigslist for the offbeat, trust me, you will find some goofy stuff near you for cheap. You just have to go into it with the right mindset. Most people who go are not there to win. But they are all there to have fun, and just about everyone there will pitch in and help to get you back on track when you break. It's addictive, and a good way to get a bunch of track time for fairly cheap. Pm me if you have any questions.
Shoot me a Pm about any event you hear Nelsons running we were hoping the Lemons was going back there this year but its not and we are only two hrs away. We will have to travel to Detroit to do this which does not excite me.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:34 PM
TR6
Drifting

Just curious... why no miatas? I mean, other than the gay factor....
Old 12-04-2009, 12:39 AM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

The NorCal 944Spec guys have a car and have run lemons a few times. Last event we suffered the standard 944 #2 rod bearing issue during the test and tune the day before the race !
It's a bunch of fun
Old 12-04-2009, 02:59 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Would any of the teams on here like to hire drivers?

They require 4 to 6 drivers. Might help out some of the guys around here that aren't sure about building a car, and want some track time....
Old 12-04-2009, 03:25 AM
lig
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've run LeMons three times now and it is a lot of fun. They guys I'm running with bought a couple of Festivas - slow as hell but they won't die.

I'd love to run a Miata but what are the chances you could get one for $500? Pretty slim.

The cheating on the $500 rule is getting pretty blatant nowadays. If this were a real claiming race I bet that would cut a lot of the fudging on the $500 rule. Jay Lamm ( the organizer of the LeMons races) just "claimed" his first car at the recent event @ Thunderhill - he picked up a nice Merc S600 Coupe for five hundred bucks!!!

No real suggestions on what car to run other than what has been mentionen before - find something interesting to run and have a theme or you run the risk of not even getting accepted into the race.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:34 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TR6
Just curious... why no miatas? I mean, other than the gay factor....
Miata's are allowed, and many go, but Jay and the judges are pretty tired of them, and they sweat them pretty hard in bs judging. Same with E30's. LeCar's on the other hand.....
Old 12-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Add Porsches to Jay and gang's ****-list. You'll get flack from the beginning, even with a 944.

I thought the Soviet Lada at this years Nelson Ledges was awesome - and it won an award (least likely to finish).
Old 12-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Add Porsches to Jay and gang's ****-list. You'll get flack from the beginning, even with a 944.
Not in our case. Both times we ran our 944, the judges just laughed and said that 944s never finish the race anyway. They were right both times! We'll give it a third try in February.

To the OP, LeMons is a great experience. Frankly, I think car selection is a bit of a crap shoot. After all, these are $500 cars (kind of).
Old 12-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Frank,

Keep me in mind if you have room for a driver or "wrench".

Ken
Old 12-04-2009, 10:29 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Van

I thought the Soviet Lada at this years Nelson Ledges was awesome - and it won an award (least likely to finish).
You guys got screwed, end of story. Though getting kicked out of the tech barn in the middle of the night with swords was pretty funny. And yes, the lada was a thing of beauty.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

How do the judges feel about Hondas? That's one of the cars on our shortlist for this year.

Quick Reply: 24 Hrs of Lemons