Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing simulator format and gear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 11:00 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Racing simulator format and gear?

Ok, I have zero experience and knowledge about video/computer/tv/? racing simulation. I think it might be fun, as I understand it is pretty sophisticated now? So where would I start, what's good, great, widely used? I'd prefer a steering wheel rather than some sort of buttons, so the translation is more realisitc.
Yes, I am an older guy that hasn't done video games, be gentle.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Pedals/Steering Wheel

Logitech G27 or a used G25 to save money

Simulator

Iracing
rFactor
Old 11-26-2009, 11:41 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done some training in the Virtual-GT. Do not have the funds to buy but it is worth it.

http://www.racingsimulators.com/vide...rhead_view.mpg
http://www.virtual-gt.com/
Old 11-27-2009, 01:22 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Start your search at the top, with a Hexatech...

Cruden B.V. – world leading designer and manufacturer of interactive motion-based racing simulators – is offering its new racing simulator as an extreme alternative to popular home gaming equipment for affluent motorsport and performance driving enthusiasts. The Hexatech – a professional full motion simulator with six ‘degrees of freedom’ (6DOF), realistic g-Force simulation up to multiple g’s, seat belt tensioners and 100 per cent realistic steering feedback – is normally found in top secret Formula One factories and automotive research centres. Now, this same sophisticated equipment can provide the definitive motorsport experience at home, with prices for the base simulator package starting at £120,000.

http://www.cruden.com/motorsport/meet-our-simulator/

Well, we can dream, can't we?
Attached Images   
Old 11-27-2009, 09:58 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My son really enjoys PS3 and rFactor (PC). He runs a 50" plasma and a 5.1 surround system (sort of neat being able to hear what is next to and behind you)

IMHO, this is definitely something to get:
http://www.bobearlracing.com/

(he does go out of stock from time to time, espsecially XMAS, since they are handmade) It makes quite a difference, believe me.

And yes, my son has been waiting for the 3 display adapter (shown towards the bottom of the website) to become available and he keeps reminding me how "inexpensive" large format LCD and plasma screens have become.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Start your search at the top, with a Hexatech...

Cruden B.V. – world leading designer and manufacturer of interactive motion-based racing simulators – is offering its new racing simulator as an extreme alternative to popular home gaming equipment for affluent motorsport and performance driving enthusiasts. The Hexatech – a professional full motion simulator with six ‘degrees of freedom’ (6DOF), realistic g-Force simulation up to multiple g’s, seat belt tensioners and 100 per cent realistic steering feedback – is normally found in top secret Formula One factories and automotive research centres. Now, this same sophisticated equipment can provide the definitive motorsport experience at home, with prices for the base simulator package starting at £120,000.

http://www.cruden.com/motorsport/meet-our-simulator/

Well, we can dream, can't we?

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 01-17-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:22 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

if you want a nice setup that is not very high priced, check out

rfactor and a logitech g25 or g27 wheel
Old 11-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

Cowboy boots. The ULTIMATE droving shoes.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 11-27-2009, 10:58 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

I use the G25 and iracing. It's an inexpensive setup and tons of fun.

Is there any interest in setting up a rennlist iracing league?
Old 11-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
if you want a nice setup that is not very high priced, check out . . .

rfactor and a logitech g25 or g27 wheel
+1

I have been using the obutto seat with G25 / PS3 / GT4 / GT5P, nice set up for the price. My intent was learning tracks (Nurburg in particular) and fun.

Now the Fanatec.de ClubSport pedals my be a nice upgrade from the G25/27
Old 11-27-2009, 11:37 AM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I see words on the screen, but am clearly behind the conversation. Can we back up? So I gather there are different formats? I got on the rfactor site and was totally lost. I have no idea what that actually is. Playstation is a format? Do you do that hooked up to a computer, or is it a stand alone unit/system? I guess the logitech wheels/pedals etc. can be used with any system or format? I normally use a Mac, but also have a pc laptop that I could use if needed.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by David 23
Ok, I have zero experience and knowledge about video/computer/tv/? racing simulation. I think it might be fun, as I understand it is pretty sophisticated now? So where would I start, what's good, great, widely used? I'd prefer a steering wheel rather than some sort of buttons, so the translation is more realisitc.
Yes, I am an older guy that hasn't done video games, be gentle.
David - Need to know budget and assume you need everything including a computer capable of running a new simulator. The G25 or G27 wheel/pedal/shifter setup is fine to start with at +/- $250. A computer system that will run any of the current sims in high resolution is anywhere fro $1500 to $3000, mostly depending on the size and type of monitor you want to run. The sim frames, should you want one, can go from a few hundred to mega thousands. Finally you need a good internet connection to play online, cable being the most common. The best sim out there right now is subscription based and is iRacing.com. Following that is rFactor and GTR2, rFactor being more popular and better online. There is a new service (free or pay, your choice) called SimRaceway.com ( http://www.simraceway.com/index.php?...age&Itemid=203 ) that make playing rFactor or GTR2 a lot easier and more fun online as it loads all the "mods" and tracks with one click of the mouse on their site.

Playstation and PS3 are hooked to your TV. Racing games are available but you will be severely limited in tracks, cars, etc. You can use a G25 wheel with the PS3 though. Mac's are useless for sims and a Windows Laptop would have to be pretty high powered to run a sim.. normally they wouldn't run it smoothly enough to play.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:51 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Are there any "Raeady to Play" setups in the market for RFactor (PC + Software + Hardware; all configured). I use a Mac, so can have that gaming PC be dedicated only to RFactor.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Not to my knowledge but it's possible some of the very high end self contained simulators might come that way. It's really not hard at all to get all set up.. and i'm always glad to help.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:19 PM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

CGomez, VirtualGT has many games already loaded on their computer system, this includes RFactor and GTR, Formula One, WTCC, Racing Legends, etc.

As Gary stated above, it isn't that difficult to add these games to any PC.

Charlie

Last edited by chas911; 11-27-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Racing simulator format and gear?