Sponsored by:

HANS question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:00 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
In an ideal world I have come to the assumption that if building up a car with cage and seat that you should take your HANS (or similar device) with you when designing and fitting cage / seat? Having never used a HANS I am wondering if this is a good idea or necessary?
Absolutely necessary. In fact, the preferred safety hierarchy would be to have your entire world built around your HANS device. Check with your physician to determine if this requires any body mods.

(Sorry Lewis.)
Old 12-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 99 Posts

When I bought my HANS back in 2006, I did not think the lighter weight unit was worth the extra money, and I would probably make a similar decision amongst their offerings today. Of course there are other products on the market now so I'd take a look at them too.

I used mine with the 3 inch shoulder belts for a couple of seasons and had no issues (nor accidents).

In my experience, like all safety products, and like many products in general, it is important to install/use the HANS per their instructions.

A lot of engineering and other technical effort went into the HANS, just like its competitors. I consider it a great product. Several similar products might be as good or better-- I wouldn't know. It is up to the companies that make and sell these things to compete, and like many folks, I believe that fair competition improves things.

As a professional marketing executive, I prefer a sales approach which addresses the needs of clients and customers and does not contain any untoward remarks about competitors' products. The only caveat for me (since I work in the medical arena) has to do with products that are known to be unsafe and/or ineffective as evidenced by their status with FDA.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:46 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^well said^ I am thankfull for any and all the effort spent by many clever people working to make car crashes more survivable. Just look back at cars from the 60s to see the many improvements. There seems to be a lot of sniping with little hard data other than some paid for park bench sled numbers. I like the fact that there is more than one device out there and it seems that improved system design is ongoing.
Hans slip off! OK, the thing does not work. Fair play or not there should be some data on the failures and suits filed considering how long and how many are in use.

Defcon 5.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:48 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
When I bought my HANS back in 2006, I did not think the lighter weight unit was worth the extra money, and I would probably make a similar decision amongst their offerings today. Of course there are other products on the market now so I'd take a look at them too.

I used mine with the 3 inch shoulder belts for a couple of seasons and had no issues (nor accidents).

In my experience, like all safety products, and like many products in general, it is important to install/use the HANS per their instructions.

A lot of engineering and other technical effort went into the HANS, just like its competitors. I consider it a great product. Several similar products might be as good or better-- I wouldn't know. It is up to the companies that make and sell these things to compete, and like many folks, I believe that fair competition improves things.

As a professional marketing executive, I prefer a sales approach which addresses the needs of clients and customers and does not contain any untoward remarks about competitors' products. The only caveat for me (since I work in the medical arena) has to do with products that are known to be unsafe and/or ineffective as evidenced by their status with FDA.
Good points all. Especially that about putting the needs of the patient first and foremost.

It should be noted, however, that most medical advances are first implemented overseas, primarily in France and Japan. By the time a "new" product receives FDA approval it is considered within the industry to be obsolete.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:50 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Weston
If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy a DefNder, even though it looks like something a Honda ricer puked up... slightly less over-priced, and probably better at keeping the belts in place.

Caution on the defNder - We've had some of the DefNders returned in exchange for a HANs because the stabilizer bars that sit on top of the shoulder yolks to hold the belts were too high and customers either couldn't pull their helmet down all the way over their head or turn their head side to side once the helmet was on. If you have a short neck or a helmet with a lip, the stabilizer bars can be a problem.

Regarding Hans sport versus pro, 3 differences -

1. weight

2. Lip on the pro is slightly higher but really doesn't affect the performance between the two units.

3. You can also get your choice of colored pads & anchors with the pro.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 99 Posts

Defcon 5??? Laugh out loud. I thought this thread was about HANS weight... and whether it makes much of a difference between the two available models. I am sure there are plenty of opinions on this expressed all over the internet, perhaps even in other Rennlist threads like this one. Hopefully the original poster has received some helpful info here.

I have been involved with medical devices and equipment for over 30 years, including many "firsts" that received FDA clearance or approval and were introduced here in the US. I do not believe that most medical advancements are first implemented overseas... but that is a topic for some other place and time.

Since there are now several commercially-available alternatives to HANS, I would rely on scientific information published in peer-reviewed journals if I wanted to know as much as possible about head and neck restraints for racing. If there aren't any/many articles/abstracts, then I'd make my best educated guess as to what was best for me, and for my wife.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

5W-40 diesel
Old 12-02-2009, 02:49 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

I have been involved with medical devices and equipment for over 30 years, including many "firsts" that received FDA clearance or approval and were introduced here in the US. I do not believe that most medical advancements are first implemented overseas... but that is a topic for some other place and time.
If by implemented you mean mass marketed, that may be true. But after decades of developing medical devices -- which have been approved by various regulatory agencies, including the FDA -- I can note with confidence that by the time something is approved by the FDA someone, somewhere else in the world is offering an improved design. This is why surgeons who perform cutting-edge procedures joke that FDA approval is a stamp of obsolescence. But, as you say, that's another subject.

Since there are now several commercially-available alternatives to HANS, I would rely on scientific information published in peer-reviewed journals if I wanted to know as much as possible about head and neck restraints for racing.
http://www.sae.org/servlets/SiteSear...=PAPER&x=0&y=0
Old 12-02-2009, 04:44 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Defcon 5??? Laugh out loud. I thought this thread was about HANS weight... and whether it makes much of a difference between the two available models.
It is and was. There is a Rennlist DE and racing forum tradition of long sometimes fact and shall we say, consensus free threads on H&N. Some questions remain unanswered behind a cloud of smug and some folks have axes to grind.

I am just glad that we have evolved past 4 point belts, stock seats and foam collars.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I hate to stray so far off topic, but I suspect the original question has been answered or the asker has retired or expired.

With the evolution of full-containment seats, how long will it be before a full roll cage becomes redundant? With a modest modification, a full containment seat is the functional equivalent of a single-seat racer cockpit. If you fortify the seat, with a structural halo of steel tubing, and integrate it with the floorpan, then doesn't a lot of the cage become unnecessary? It would save a lot of weight and make race car prep a lot easier and cheaper.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:22 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

I know this is controversial but I would seriously consider a Hutchens Hybrd, I have no affiliation, I was sold on the fact that it has increased lateral support for side impacts. More so than the Hans. http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail...HutchensHybrid
I can say from first hand experience after taking a side impact hit at 56mph, that it works. I did not even get a sore neck out of the deal. Just saying check out your options before you buy. Oh and if safety is your thing go with a Halo seat too.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by todinlaw
I know this is controversial but I would seriously consider a Hutchens Hybrd, I have no affiliation, I was sold on the fact that it has increased lateral support for side impacts. More so than the Hans. http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail...HutchensHybrid
I can say from first hand experience after taking a side impact hit at 56mph, that it works. I did not even get a sore neck out of the deal. Just saying check out your options before you buy. Oh and if safety is your thing go with a Halo seat too.
Well, it can't be more controversial than not wearing a HAN restraint at all.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:11 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Oh and if safety is your thing go with a Halo seat too.
Most of the head & neck manufacturers recommend their product to be used along with a headwrap seat, window net, right side net, SFI harnesses, etc. for maximum protection. Their product is part of the safety puzzle.

Quick Reply: HANS question