Sponsored by:

HANS question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 04:06 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is torque that makes them slide off, not HP.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Weston

That's a common problem with 3" wide belts (it's apparently meant for 2" belts), and I believe it applies to all HANS models.
Entirely NOT true. The issue is shoulder belt geometry. The device was designed with a 3" belt in mind.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:16 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
It is torque that makes them slide off, not HP.
Trail braking is the primary culprit, followed by too much camber.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's been a while since we've had a good H&N restraint or Danica Patrick "discussion", so I guess it was inevitable.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Weston
Racer

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Entirely NOT true. The issue is shoulder belt geometry. The device was designed with a 3" belt in mind.
While belt geometry is certainly a factor, I find the fact that 3" belts don't properly fit over the HANS as compelling evidence that it wasn't really designed for them. The 3" belts are wider than the surface area meant for them on the HANS. And then there's the fact that are 2" belts that are specifically manufactured for use with the HANS, and sanctioning bodies allow them only when used with a HANS.

It can be compatible with 3" belts if done right, but saying that it was specifically designed for them would reflect poorly on the abilities of the designers, because there are obviously widespread problems with that. It's a good product, but it simply doesn't handle 3" belts as well as others. And back to the actual topic at hand, the other HANS models seem to have just as many reports of this problem as the Sport model does.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

While belt geometry is certainly a factor, I find the fact that 3" belts don't properly fit over the HANS as compelling evidence that it wasn't really designed for them. The 3" belts are wider than the surface area meant for them on the HANS. And then there's the fact that are 2" belts that are specifically manufactured for use with the HANS, and sanctioning bodies allow them only when used with a HANS.

It can be compatible with 3" belts if done right, but saying that it was specifically designed for them would reflect poorly on the abilities of the designers, because there are obviously widespread problems with that. It's a good product, but it simply doesn't handle 3" belts as well as others. And back to the actual topic at hand, the other HANS models seem to have just as many reports of this problem as the Sport model does.
Again No

From the HANS guide

Note in the picture how the belts are supposed to go up the side of the yoke and the outside edge of the belt is at the lip.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Weston
Racer

Too bad that doesn't work so well in the real world. The simple fact remains that the installation specs are not news to racers, and it's not uncommon for people to have issues with belts sliding off of the HANS, and that's not limited to the Sport model.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy a DefNder, even though it looks like something a Honda ricer puked up... slightly less over-priced, and probably better at keeping the belts in place.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Too bad that doesn't work so well in the real world. The simple fact remains that the installation specs are not news to racers, and it's not uncommon for people to have issues with belts sliding off of the HANS, and that's not limited to the Sport model.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy a DefNder, even though it looks like something a Honda ricer puked up... slightly less over-priced, and probably better at keeping the belts in place.
If that's the case then why are over 90% of the shoulder belts I see in cars PCA, SCCA, NASA, GrandAm NOT installed within those specs or the FIA recommended specs (which are the same DefNder recommends as well)
Old 11-28-2009, 09:35 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Defcon 4! dive dive dive!
Old 11-28-2009, 09:54 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The world is actually flat and carried on the back of a giant tortoise.

HANS (pick a revision, any revision) devices always stay underneath the belts.

I love good bedtime stories.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:55 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Didn't Danica look great in that latest GoDaddy ad?
Old 11-28-2009, 11:22 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I think Danica is hot, and a good driver too.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:43 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I'd Hit it.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:51 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

In an ideal world I have come to the assumption that if building up a car with cage and seat that you should take your HANS (or similar device) with you when designing and fitting cage / seat? Having never used a HANS I am wondering if this is a good idea or necessary?
Old 11-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by 333pg333
In an ideal world I have come to the assumption that if building up a car with cage and seat that you should take your HANS (or similar device) with you when designing and fitting cage / seat? Having never used a HANS I am wondering if this is a good idea or necessary?

The best route would be to get the FIA belt mounting recommendations and go from there. They have the relative locations mapped out for a number of distances behind the driver that the shoulder harnesses can be mounted.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public..._HANS_2007.pdf

Last edited by Circuit Motorsports; 11-30-2009 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: HANS question