Sponsored by:

thoughts on private track memberships like Harris Hill Road

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:30 AM
jberb55
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default thoughts on private track memberships like Harris Hill Road

I've been in Austin for over 5 years now, recently picked up a mostly-for-track car, and I keep torturing myself trying to figure out if a membership at Harris Hill Road (H2R) is a good thing.

My biggest concern I have is that after spending the money to join + monthly dues, I'd be less inclined to participate in DEs (PCA and others), and less inclined to visit other area tracks (TWS, MSR)

One big plus for me is that H2R is only 50miles away, which drastically reduces my concern w/ driving to the the track on R-compound tires. The other tracks are 100mi and 180mi away, which forces thoughts of trailers, chase vehicles, hotels.

I'm hoping others can share their thoughts, experiences, would-you-do-it-again of joining H2R or other membership tracks like it. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2009, 10:46 AM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about getting a membership there. It's a nice track and a lot more cost effective than the other track in Austin. If you go to H2R 1 weekend a month that would be $180 for 2 hours ($90/mo + $90).

I would not stop the PCA DE weekends but use H2R to practice between DEs.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by jberb55
I've been in Austin for over 5 years now, recently picked up a mostly-for-track car, and I keep torturing myself trying to figure out if a membership at Harris Hill Road (H2R) is a good thing.

My biggest concern I have is that after spending the money to join + monthly dues, I'd be less inclined to participate in DEs (PCA and others), and less inclined to visit other area tracks (TWS, MSR)

One big plus for me is that H2R is only 50miles away, which drastically reduces my concern w/ driving to the the track on R-compound tires. The other tracks are 100mi and 180mi away, which forces thoughts of trailers, chase vehicles, hotels.

I'm hoping others can share their thoughts, experiences, would-you-do-it-again of joining H2R or other membership tracks like it. Thanks!

I have had a hard time justifying something like that at HHR for similar reasons. In addition, i get a lot of track time at various tracks anywayy, so there isn't enough free time to use a membershiip.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 11-20-2009, 10:56 AM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,197 Likes on 425 Posts

I like to hit different tracks. A membership would commit me to using the time I've paid for -- all at the same track.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:30 AM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a MSR member, and have not regretted the membership. I think member days and DEs are simply different, and one needs to decide what one wants. I find my member days allow more track time and at higher level (speed) and greater scheduling flexibility than DE days. DE days offer more social interaction with other Porsche friends etc, and the opportunity for instruction if desired. I like to do them both, however since I keep my car at MSR and don't own a trailer, I find myself pretty much staying at my "home" track. I don't find that a particular negative, as I continue to learn on that track, and don't think I will ever get to the point where there are no longer challenges there.
I am also fortunate that I can be at the track in 35 minutes from my house. I have gone out and done 3 track sessions before lunch and come home for the afternoon. That way I don't have to make the time or $ commitment for an entire weekend like I would for a DE.
I do find myself feeling a little guilty when I am unable to get to the track for long periods of time, as I am still paying my dues. Fortunately my dues are quite low, and it isn't a really big deal.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:11 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a H2R member and like an addiction, the more track time I get the more I want. The advantage of having a local track membership is being able to take an afternoon off to run few hours after lunch, or get away from the kids on a Sunday morning and not have it be a weekend away from the rest of your life.

Last edited by consolidated; 11-20-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Equiraptor and I have a family membership at H2R and I enthusiastically recommend it. I don't how other tracks are, but the group of members and particularly management at H2R really contribute greatly to my enjoyment and satisfaction.

Many days we'll go out and run for a few hours in the morning but end up spending the whole afternoon at the track just getting caught up in whatever random shenanigans or interesting things are taking place. It's a great group of people and Bo really does a good job fostering a great atmosphere both out on the track and in the clubhouse.

We moved to Houston earlier this year, so the drive to H2R went from being 45 minutes to more like 145 minutes. Some months we don't make it out, so I guess that's wasted money spent, but I have no intention of suspending our membership.

I also find that I get different things from the non-DE track time I spend out there, which I've found to be invaluable as a relative novice. Sometimes it can be really useful to just focus on one or two corners for an hour without the added stress of a rigid schedule and a densely-packed track.

Plus it's a really great and rewarding track to drive.

Edit to add: Membership at H2R hasn't quenched my appetite for more formal HPDE events (we usually do The Driver's Edge events, not PCA). It can be hard to carve out an entire weekend, though and I'm glad we can just make a day trip to H2R as a less-involved day spent at the track.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:33 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a member at ECR but still do a lot of PCA DE's. And I still drive other tracks as often as I drive my home track. I look at member days as additional track time on my own schedule in a more casual environment, but not as a full on substitute for PCA DE's. I value the PCA DE's for the instruction (most importantly) and for the social interaction.

As David pointed out, member days are a completely different animal than DE days. Member days are much more casual and you typically get a LOT more track time at a member day than at a DE. That may vary from track to track (I have no idea about H2R). Member days (at least at ECR) also tend to have a more open approach to passing zones which is great as far as I'm concerned. It is good experience and really forces you to ratchet up your vision and awareness. I think member days have really helped me develop as a driver in ways that just DE's alone cannot offer. And I'm much more likely to be willing to experiment at a member day since 1) there is more track time available and 2) there are usually fewer cars on the track.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:55 PM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

I'd like to echo what David and Nugget have said. I'd also like to say a bit more addressing memberships at H2R specifically.

I'm not sure if other tracks are like this, but H2R has special events for members. There's always a twist to the events and they're a lot of fun. One recent event was an endurance race. Rather than being a simple long-race, the enduro didn't allow refueling. The race ran for 3 hours, if I remember correctly. Multiple members finished, so the winner had to balance fuel economy and speed to make it across the finish line first.

Another event involved an Autobianchi A112 Abarth. The car was driven by one member at a time, on various different days. We'd take the car out on an empty track (and the track would be closed to others during the challenge). The driver would do an out lap counter clockwise and have a flying start. We'd do the one counter clockwise lap and, after crossing the finish, do a U-turn to come up pit lane. We'd come up pit lane in the clockwise direction, go out on track, and do a clockwise lap. Timing stopped when you crossed the start/finish line after the clockwise lap. Members did not get practice time in the car (but could pay for multiple attempts).

These are just a few of the nutty member-only events that Harris Hill does. Bo always has something planned to make life more interesting and more entertaining. I couldn't ask for a better crew of people, both the track workers and the members. I'd live at H2R if they'd let me!

Edit: Oh, I forgot to add... H2R organizes their own HPDE events. Members get a discounted rate at these events.

Last edited by equiraptor; 11-20-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:57 PM
jberb55
Instructor

thanks for the replies everyone... Hadn't really considered member days as being yet another different (but still fun) way to play cars and drive on track. You guys that are H2R members: do you, and maybe other Porsche owners, try to synch your monthly track days?
Old 11-22-2009, 11:13 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does H2R cost to join and what are the monthly and per use fees?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:03 PM
jberb55
Instructor

2500 one-time non-refundable, then min 150/mo which includes one 2hr weekday session. 180/mo if you want 2hr session on weekend. Further tracktime is 100/150 for 4hr blocks. This and more at their website: harrishillroad.com.

For perspective, two-day weekend DEs with Lonestar Region, usually at TWS, are 265
Old 11-22-2009, 10:01 PM
boss351
Instructor

Just to throw another option in (or spanner in to the works), TWS has open track days (no membership). They have so far been on Friday afternoons, very good value for money. Easy to get as much track time in one afternoon as you'd get in an entire DE weekend. $115 a pop.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Originally Posted by jberb55
2500 one-time non-refundable, then min 150/mo which includes one 2hr weekday session. 180/mo if you want 2hr session on weekend. Further tracktime is 100/150 for 4hr blocks.
This sounds very reasonable, especially if you like the track. The 2 hrs/month minimum probably gets you out at least once a month so skills don't get too rusty. As others have mentioned, you can get out for a morning of track time and still have 3/4 of the weekend left for family and other comittments. With a membership you probably never have to drive in the rain again, as where with a DE weekend you get the weather you get. Wish we had something similar close by.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:24 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

DE=2 day commitment for 2.5 hours of track time, maybe 7 hot laps a session

Membership=5 hour afternoon, any day of the week, 2.5 hours of on track time given 30 minute runs with 30 minute breaks.

Yes, folks get together thru the website and member sign-up calendar.

Lots of members are instructors. Ability to bring in coaches for one on one instruction. I think they just had or will have a reduced cost membership special, perhaps worth a call.

Quick Reply: thoughts on private track memberships like Harris Hill Road