Sponsored by:

Opinions please...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 07:37 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Opinions please...

Guys, any thoughts on the Lotus Exige Cup cars (255 or 260) ? Thinking about a track car as opposed to a 'multi-tasker' so I'm starting to look over all the options. I ran with one at a Bertil Roos event and was impressed.

I know I could ask the guys at the Lotus Forum (and will) but am looking for multiple opinions. Anyone know these cars ? I realize this is a Porsche based site, but how would you compare the same to the Cayman Cup series cars (http://www.napletonmotorsports.com/) which would you prefer and why?

TIA

Last edited by cello; 11-17-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: fixed link - thx BostonDMD
Old 11-17-2009, 07:42 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Lotus are supposed to be great track cars till you wreck them......then it gets expensive......

I myself would like to hear the input on this.....

BTW, your link has a few extra items on the end of it..... like an extra slash, a parenthesis and a semicolon......
Old 11-17-2009, 08:03 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

^Yes, I've read the front clam is $10K; fixed the link, thx
Old 11-17-2009, 08:19 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cello
Guys, any thoughts on the Lotus Exige Cup cars (255 or 260) ? Thinking about a track car as opposed to a 'multi-tasker' so I'm starting to look over all the options. I ran with one at a Bertil Roos event and was impressed.

I know I could ask the guys at the Lotus Forum (and will) but am looking for multiple opinions. Anyone know these cars ? I realize this is a Porsche based site, but how would you compare the same to the Cayman Cup series cars (http://www.napletonmotorsports.com/) which would you prefer and why?

TIA
The Napelton Caymans are a pretty good deal. I have looked at the Exige Cups and even the 2-Eleven. My issue is hitting a 2x4 on the road will total the Lotus. However there is a video of a head on - miata vs. exige on the track and I think everyone lived.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:35 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

There are a few guys running them out here, in TT and some of the higher DE's. They are typically fast, obviously because they are light and are race tuned out of the box. That said, a while back one tagged the wall at the end of the straight at PIR, probably a fix in a cayman, the lotus was a total, that carbon fiber and aluminum did what it was supposed to do...crush... They do look like fun, I don't know if I would race one with mixed traffic, a mustang or M3 could do some damage, but then guys are in mixed classes with radicals and SR's so I guess its whatever you're comfortable with.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

I've seen two explode where a 911 would have had relatively minor damage.. there were plastic pieces everywhere!!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:41 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yo Paolo, what's not expensive? The last few newer P-cars that friends have bumped into tire walls etc weren't exactly cheap to fix. Backing in cost upwards of 20/K, almost 40/K in one instance. That's what I wanted when I bought the Boxster but the other half said it looked like a bug and was too small to be safe on the road. Oh well
Old 11-17-2009, 10:56 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Ariel Atom is faster than anything Lotus makes, at a similar price, and can be street legal in most states. I've seen Exige Cup & 211's on the track many times, and they're several seconds slower.

However, if you plan to race, the Atom doesn't fit into any of the usual classes so isn't race legal in SCCA or NASA.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I had a chance to drive an Exige S at Watkins Glen a few years ago - it was a fantastic experience! It's such a rewarding car to drive on the track. I've thought about one very seriously now-and-then.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:07 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
The Ariel Atom is faster than anything Lotus makes, at a similar price, and can be street legal in most states. I've seen Exige Cup & 211's on the track many times, and they're several seconds slower.

However, if you plan to race, the Atom doesn't fit into any of the usual classes so isn't race legal in SCCA or NASA.
But how dry is it in the rain?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
But how dry is it in the rain?
Surprisingly dry. Just spent 6 hours last Friday giving people rides at the VIR Holiday Laps and it was raining/misting the entire time and the track had a fair amount of water on it throughout the day. I had a rain jacket on to keep me dry whily people were getting belted in but other than that my jeans were dry except for one instance where I had a pool of water that had built up during a long delay dripped onto my knee.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

lotus cup are GREAT track cars. i driven them as well as their street brothers. they are safe, but if you do crash them, it's very $$$ to fix, easily totalled. but until then, no cayman (inc the napleton HSR) comes close. driving a 1700-1800 lbs car is something else compared to caymans, which i logged over 5000 track miles on and loved.

aerial is another option. very fast.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:14 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a ride in one last year and the gear shift lever broke off in the guys hand when he went to downshift....
No thanks, I'd take a Cayman Cup in a heartbeat
Old 11-18-2009, 01:29 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After having seen them all apart in a large bodyshop I maintain I would pass if it were my choice. Little given to impact protection and hard as hell to repair even small dingers. One lingered around for 7 months waiting on parts.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:35 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

The only thing I really have against the Lotus is it is a car that you wear. If you are any where near around 6' and if you have to get out in a hurry you are in a world of trouble. Other than that when they are driven properly they are truly an amazing machine. If I had to choose between it and a Cayman, I would chhose the Croc. I have tracked mine and it is a truly delight to drive on the track.

Quick Reply: Opinions please...