Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the true cost of racing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 04:36 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Looks about right for budget racing. I assume you are camping at the track.

trade out your tire cost for my increase use of brake pads and rotors and I bet its pretty close. I was keeping track last year and it was right in that range.

However, if you stack the car, all bets are off.

mk

Originally Posted by M758
I created this for 944 spec a few years back. No major changes to it.

I don't agree to a 944 spec costing 2x a spec miata. The cost factor is driven more by how you chose to race vs the car. Do you want/need to refresh every onther weekend? Some guys do and that drives cost. Other guys don't.

The cost for me to DE vs race is probably 75% DE vs 100% race. The reason comes down to when DE you can get by on old tires for longer and you can get by if the car is not perfect in DE. In race if you want to run up front where I like to you need to have the car right. You can't get by on cycled out tires and you need to spend alot more time focusing. However the costs above do represent the cost for keeping a 944 spec at the front of the class.

Now some guys like to get an aligmnet done before each race weekend. If you pay $200 per this adds up. If you don't bother or just DIY then the cost is minimal. This stuff applies to ANY race class.

Now spec miata vs 944 spec. People think spec miatas are cheaper. However at Top 5 National championship spec miata is expensive to build and to maintain in fact probably 2x a top 944 spec. However a top 5 944 spec can be maintained at a much smaller budget. I know since my 944 ran up front at National championship races in 34 car filed while spec miata had 35 or 36 cars.

Now if you are fine being a mid-packer or back marker in either 944 spec or spec miata the costs can be very close to DE levels.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:10 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

When you get bit by the competitive bug, your costs will go up. I thought I'd be happy just being out there racing. It was not long before I got tired of running for 4th or 5th place. I either had to quit to keep my sanity or spend money (more track time and mods) to go faster.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah If were in DE I would probably be in 944 Turbo or 964 spending alot more money on mods or trips to far away tracks to keep my interest. So racing is actually cheaper for me.
Wow. This is an insightful comment that truly speaks to me. It's all too easy to get caught up in the DE "swordfight" over the faster car / bigger wallet. Thanks. You may have saved me a lot of money!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:22 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and don't forget to factor in if there IS an accident and your car is completely totalled. at a DE, yer still covered under insurance in most cases (but check yer policy).
Old 11-17-2009, 08:38 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 679 Likes on 342 Posts

For me a race is much more expensive than a DE because I care a lot more about the weekend. In a DE, I know I don't run 10/10 - why bother? so tires, brakes, etc last much longer. I also don't bring a crew/mechanic for a DE - again, why bother? if something breaks that I can't fix, I load up the trailer and am done...no problem.

For a race weekend, I want to be on the track as much as possible, so getting things fixed quickly counts. I wear out brakes, tires, run through fuel, etc much more. I run the PCA enduros, so I need a pit crew for fuel. Race registrations are more than three times (in our area) than a DE weekend when you instruct.

Our DE weekends, when Nadine and I instruct, run us about $1,050 for two people ($200 registration, $200+ room, $100 food, $250 race fuel, $250 amortized for tires, and about $50 amortized for brakes), so about $500+ each.

A 3 day race weekend costs about $2,000 just for me: $500 reg, $300 hotel, $100 food, $250 fuel (I use as much in a race weekend as we both use in a DE), $500 tires, $50 brakes (they last me forever), $700 crew plus their expenses.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 11-17-2009, 09:05 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm assuming the OP is a woman, because he broke one of the fundamental Man Laws.

If you are married, and so foolish as to try to figure the cost of racing, don't forget to include jewelry, original oil paintings, new 300+ thread count linens, and kitchen remodels into the cost.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:23 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 1,991 Posts

I created this for 944 spec a few years back. No major changes to it.

I don't agree to a 944 spec costing 2x a spec miata. The cost factor is driven more by how you chose to race vs the car. Do you want/need to refresh every onther weekend? Some guys do and that drives cost. Other guys don't.

The cost for me to DE vs race is probably 75% DE vs 100% race. The reason comes down to when DE you can get by on old tires for longer and you can get by if the car is not perfect in DE. In race if you want to run up front where I like to you need to have the car right. You can't get by on cycled out tires and you need to spend alot more time focusing. However the costs above do represent the cost for keeping a 944 spec at the front of the class.

Now some guys like to get an aligmnet done before each race weekend. If you pay $200 per this adds up. If you don't bother or just DIY then the cost is minimal. This stuff applies to ANY race class.

Now spec miata vs 944 spec. People think spec miatas are cheaper. However at Top 5 National championship spec miata is expensive to build and to maintain in fact probably 2x a top 944 spec. However a top 5 944 spec can be maintained at a much smaller budget. I know since my 944 ran up front at National championship races in 34 car filed while spec miata had 35 or 36 cars.

Now if you are fine being a mid-packer or back marker in either 944 spec or spec miata the costs can be very close to DE levels.
Great break down Joe, but where is the line item for Hotels and fuel for towing to the track? Maybe your budget is local?

I don't count food because we all have to eat whether it's at the track or back at home.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

What is the true cost of racing? More than I can afford.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:20 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

(sorry for the O T)
Dan212 --where have you been?
Old 11-18-2009, 12:18 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Great comments guys. Keep 'em coming.

Just curious on Joes tire estimate. Isn't the spec tires for 944 the RA1. How many race days do they last? Shaved and non shaved
Old 11-18-2009, 07:00 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

+100 on whatever B Watts said. If you are competitive and want to win every race then it is a lot more expensive.

A race weekend can be as "cheap" as a DE if:
- You don't care about having ultimate laptime pace and run the tires you have and only replace when they are worn out.
- You dont care about packing up and going home if something breaks inn your car (dont carry spares inventory and tools (DIY) or a crew to work on your car and do rush repairs)
- You slow down or drive into the pits if you see that something is not OK with the drivetrain and decide to ease off or save it
- Take it easy for a lap or tow in the race if the brakes start to fade
- Don't check the alignment after every race, or adjust it accordingly for every track characteristics...

It is a lot more expensive if:
- Run new tires when it matters (Qualifying, wanting to get the track record, etc., leave "old" tires for practice only, and never run "toasted" tires as they add nothing to setting up the car properly)
- You don't let go and keep running the car at 110% even if the temp is a bit high or drivetrain starts having nasty noises b/c you are leading the race or have a shot at making the pass for the win
- Spend a good amount of time setting up the car perfectly for each car (alignment, shocks, wing angle, etc.)
- Have a crew with the tools and spares that can do almost any job in the 60mins in between race sessions (this was the most important factor for me this year; if I had been alone, I would have completed less than half the races I did), so the car is always at its best.
- You bring ALL the family with you, so you can do more races as you are not sacrificing family time
Old 11-18-2009, 09:42 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Marc - Work got in the way of my priorities
Old 11-18-2009, 10:08 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Looks about right for budget racing. I assume you are camping at the track.

However, if you stack the car, all bets are off.

mk
Camping at the track... Nah... I just drive home each night. (track is 50 miles from home) Although I did camp at Miller for NASA Nationals this year.

Still I did not include food or travel costs since they are so variable. Some guys two 6hrs to the track in giant RV and others driver thier car to the events. Some guys are fine with a Motel 6 near the track and others need the Ritz. Really that stuff has nothing to do with if you race or DE or what car you drive.

That estimate was created to show the costs for running 944 spec car. It does assume you don't wad up the car and don't blow parts left and right. Which despite what some 911 guys say.. you don't if you built the car right.

Here in Az NASA entry fees for a race are $10-20 more than for a DE. So that is pretty much nothing. So you can race for very little money. However it still takes money to do it. One thing that makes difference in a seaon is that once you race you tend to be more inclined to make every event in seaons vs in DE you can skip some and not feel bad. That right there drives up cost for a season, but you are getting more track time.

In the end I don't believe racing needs to cost a ton of money. It certainly can, but does not need to. Personally if you DE a "fast newer car" you can drop down to a slower car and race it for the same money or less. Also PCA club raicng is expensive. You can race for less money in SCCA or NASA and despite it not being PCA still have a ton of fun. One big savings from SCCA or NASA is you can get in more races locally thus reducing travel costs. PCA racing is great if you want to run tracks all over the USA, but if you just want to race alot PCA is not the ideal organization due to the 1 race in a region type schedule.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:20 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Great comments guys. Keep 'em coming.

Just curious on Joes tire estimate. Isn't the spec tires for 944 the RA1. How many race days do they last? Shaved and non shaved
The spec tire this year was the R888. 225/50 R15. It failed to last long enough so we are ditching it. Tires are our bigget cost besides entry fees so we are concerned about increases here.

Next year we are going back to our beloved RA-1 in 225/50 R15. My first set got me 48 heat cycles. After that I have been getting 24-32 heat cycles. Shaved or not. I actually get more useful life shaved to 4/32 since they are faster soon. Anyway the harder you push the more tire you use, but I push as hard as I can and always run near the front in one of the most hotly contested 944 spec regions in the country. Also this done moslty on a 1.5 mile short track so lots of turns per mile.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
I'd say racing is 2-3X more expensive because the entry fee is higher, the event is longer, requiring additional hotel costs, you need fresh tires and whatever costs you associate to make sure the car is perfect for the race.
That certainly depends on the venue in which you chose to race. You can race NASA or SCCA for lower entry costs than a Porsche Club DE.

Quick Reply: What is the true cost of racing?