Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding tickets at a racetrack????!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
My son was on his way to work last Saturday morning when he saw the Corzine motorcade closing in on his ***. OK,so he moves over. Some guy in a Hyundai decides to get into the fast lane in between two of the unmarked cars in the motorcade. The unmarked car behind the guy moves up a kisses his bumper. The dude moves over and a marked trooper car pulls out of the motorcade lights him up. WTF

I hate to say it, but this is standard practice for dignitary protection/VIP motorcades. You never know from where a legit threat will emerge...that Hyundai could just as liikely have been full of explosives.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 11-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I have run 13 DE track days at NJMP with 3 PCA regions and have never experienced any police presence. Hopefully this past weekends activity was an isolated incident. I will be down there again next weekend.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It is interesting that the track even let the police into the private property. I would think that they could simply deny access without a warrant of some type from the police.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:48 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 177 Posts

[QUOTE=Veloce Raptor;7038719]I hate to say it, but this is standard practice for dignitary protection/VIP motorcades. You never know from where a legit threat will emerge...that Hyundai could just as liikely have been full of explosives.

You have to be pretty dim to pull into the middle of a motorcade in the first place.

I was psyched to go try out NJMP now that I'm back in the NE but I don't think I can go 5 mph unless I ride the clutch so I think I'll give it a pass. Looks like VIR is my home track again.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:00 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

There is ALWAYS a cop at NJMP, often the same guy. Apparently, and this is only a rumor I've heard, the troopers have an office on the property. Prior to this, he only drove around, occasionally walking through the garage, maybe looking for someone in shorts on the hot pit (state law regulates that, too, in NJ), and seemed to do little other than waste the state's money. Guess they decided he has to pay his own way by writing tickets.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:07 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Whole thing is hard to believe.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Every single person that was issued a summons should pleasd not guilty and contest the ticket. Maybe even get just one lawyer to fight for all of them.

Total bull****.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:11 AM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Riad
Every single person that was issued a summons should pleasd not guilty and contest the ticket. Maybe even get just one lawyer to fight for all of them.

Total bull****.
and do what... waste a whole day (trackday??) to sit in some town in court all day for $20?? i betcha the cop also made sure he only ticketed the cars w/ out of state, waaaay out of state, tags and none from nj got tix. just a hunch.

personally, i'd just start parking my car on the hot side of the pit wall.

Last edited by RonCT; 11-03-2009 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Language
Old 11-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
and do what... waste a whole day (trackday??) to sit in some bum**** town in court all day for $20?? i betcha the cop also made sure he only ticketed the cars w/ out of state, waaaay out of state, tags and none from nj got tix. just a hunch.

personally, i'd just start parking my car on the hot side of the pit wall.

^^^^^^^^^^^---------------NIPPLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Also, to quuote Patrick Long: if youdo what you've always done (nothing), you'll get what you've always gotten (**** by the PRNJ). So good luck with that strategery!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Last edited by RonCT; 11-03-2009 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Language
Old 11-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
and do what... waste a whole day (trackday??) to sit in some bum**** town in court all day for $20??
You don't show up to traffic court with your lawyer.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:50 AM
}{arlequin
Pro

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
You don't show up to traffic court with your lawyer.
huh? you don't or i don't? if it's bad enough then you do.

then again, having a traffic attorney w/ you for $1k/day for a $20 tix still seems wasteful. that attorney fee will cover a lifetime of njmp seat belt tickets
Old 11-02-2009, 12:23 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Yep, no BS. NJMP has State Troopers show up on site. This weekend they issued seatbelt violations to DE driver that were more than 2 years old (regardless of expiration it seemed). Ironically they did not bother the rest of us in the race group because of the annual inspection log books. They also clocked cars exceeding 15mph in the paddock and gave out citations!

Next will likely be a ticket for crashing on track for driving at "unsafe speeds".

Are you certain about the stated facts above? Is it possible that word-of mouth storytelling kinda exaggerated what actually may have happened?

I have spent about 30 days at NJMP in the past year and I have often seen troopers there. However, to the best of my knowledge (and in accordance with existing state laws), they do random checks on seat harness installations and ensure that the belts are not out-of-date. My understanding is that in the event of a "violation" (for example, expired harness dates) the worst case scenario is likely that the car is not allowed on track. Never heard of a "citation", as in a ticket, being issued to the drover. Also, never heard of a ticket being issued to anyone driving in the paddock around 15 mph or slightly over.

I'm not disputing what you have stated here, and not defending the actions of the trooper if they are indeed true, but simply inquiring if these are hard, known facts or if the story just grew as it got passed around from mouth-to mouth. I have spent enough time at NJMP and often observed this trooper, and find the issuance of tickets quite hard to believe.

Best...
Old 11-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Brian,

If you look at the header it mentioned DE along with racing. Worded such that DE seems to be included. The paddock speed of 5mph is going to be broken every minute of the day.
I think this is the section that deals with DE guys (it's listed immediately before the previously quoted section)

§ 13:62-3.7 Safety belts, shoulder harness and crotch belt
(b) Safety belts for driving schools, time trials, lapping days, and promotional and tour events must meet the standards required by the sanctioning body or event organizer. At a minimum, original vehicle equipment DOT FMVSS 208, incorporated herein by reference and available at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...VSS/index.html, seat belts or DOT FMVSS 209, incorporated herein by reference and available at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...VSS/index.html, aftermarket seat belts shall be required.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
My understanding is that in the event of a "violation" (for example, expired harness dates) the worst case scenario is likely that the car is not allowed on track.
I'm willing to bet that if someone from far enough away showed up and was told that they couldn't run on the track, then some words might be exchanged, and a ticket might then be issued.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:51 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Y'all keep that yankee BS up there.

Quick Reply: Speeding tickets at a racetrack????!!!!!!!!