Sponsored by:

R888 Rear tire wear on 996/911

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:50 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default R888 Rear tire wear on 996/911

This may have already been covered, but I thought I'd throw this out there.

Just finished a track weekend and I saw similar wear patterns on the rear of mine and three other 996's and 911's. That is, the inside half of the rear wears out twice as fast as the outside half.

I run more camber than the other cars I saw, but the result is basically the same: bald to corded inside half of rear tires while outside half still has grooves left.

Anyone else seeing this with the R888's.

(BTW rear camber -2.6 toe -3mm's)
Old 10-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go faster or use less camber?
Old 10-26-2009, 09:51 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren
+1...also how much rear toe do you have? I do not know the proper specs for you car but toe will wear out a tire faster than camber.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren

Also perhaps rear pressures are too high.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 10-26-2009, 10:38 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1/8 " of toe. Is this total? (both sides). Measured off the rim or tire? (likely the rim). Have the alignment confirmed including the kinematic toe. You also may be trying to hard to drive the back end of the car. eg slowing down too much for the turn, then hard on the gas at the apex grinding the rear tires.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:04 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

When 944spec made the switch from ra1 to 888 we all had to take camber out front and rear to get wear and performance out of them. Higher pressures as well. I have a set on my 964 as well, not very happy with them, lots of guys are running nitro nt01s back to back with hoosiers and love them. The spec series dropped the 888 and is going back to ra1, (spec miata and e30 as well) and I'm burning this set down and going to the nittos..sad because our of the box they were fast, but faded quickly...

Interestingly our race director did exhaustive testing an early on found that they were cording tires on the edge because pressures were TO LOW. It was seen as a product of the stiff sidewalk. That seems to be part of the issue with these tires. Set them up for the best feel they wear poorly. They also heat cycle out quickly many racers are tossing tires with tons of tread left. The best solution was shaving them which seems to help feel and balances the HC/treadwear...
Old 10-26-2009, 12:13 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't we sort thru this conversation this weekend, or maybe you didn't believe me.
LESS CAMBER FOR THE R888's

Here it is from Toyo, this bulletin is more specific to the SM guys but it discusses WHY the tire is this way as compared to the RA1's (and others) http://cache.toyotires.com/sites/def...Guidelines.pdf

Here is more info from Toyo, check out features and watch video. http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-r888
Old 10-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Weston
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, R888's don't like much camber. Tread wear isn't that big of an issue on R888's though... they'll heat-cycle out and turn to garbage before you wear through much rubber (which is a big part of why everyone's dumping them).
Old 10-26-2009, 10:07 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
When 944spec made the switch from ra1 to 888 we all had to take camber out front and rear to get wear and performance out of them. Higher pressures as well. I have a set on my 964 as well, not very happy with them, lots of guys are running nitro nt01s back to back with hoosiers and love them. The spec series dropped the 888 and is going back to ra1, (spec miata and e30 as well) and I'm burning this set down and going to the nittos..sad because our of the box they were fast, but faded quickly...

Interestingly our race director did exhaustive testing an early on found that they were cording tires on the edge because pressures were TO LOW. It was seen as a product of the stiff sidewalk. That seems to be part of the issue with these tires. Set them up for the best feel they wear poorly. They also heat cycle out quickly many racers are tossing tires with tons of tread left. The best solution was shaving them which seems to help feel and balances the HC/treadwear...
Useful info Richard. Thanks for the observations.

I ended up running something like 41 lbs hot trying to get wear sorted out. And I used a temp sensor to help determine if I was going in the right direction. Three of us saw the exact same problem. The other two (rear engine cars) did not have that type of wear on the previous branded tires they ran, even though the alignment settings remained the same.

I've yet to run into anyone who had positives to say about this tire.

I plan to go to the BFG R1's or Nitto's.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:25 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Didn't we sort thru this conversation this weekend, or maybe you didn't believe me.
LESS CAMBER FOR THE R888's

Here it is from Toyo, this bulletin is more specific to the SM guys but it discusses WHY the tire is this way as compared to the RA1's (and others) http://cache.toyotires.com/sites/def...Guidelines.pdf

Here is more info from Toyo, check out features and watch video. http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-r888
We talked, but before I spend $600 on a new set of rear tires I'd like to be really certain. I did get on the Toyo site when I came home and found those exact same links.

The other two cars had the same wear that I had, even though they did not see that wear pattern with other tire brands. Globe mentioned the same thing. This get's me to thinking about the brand of tire I want to use. If this is a problem, I'm going to Nitto's or BFG's.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:48 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything about car racing is a compromise, pick your poison. There is no tire that will last 2 years, be stickier than a slick, cost less than $100. per tire, provide even wear, never fall off, etc , etc.
You must realize that each tire has certain compromises, the R888 is ok, since it is a new tire many people haven't yet figured out how to make it work and many do not like the compromises with that tire vs other tires. I have used and seen it work on a variety of cars now, and also seen others that havn't taken the time to change set up that hate them.
It's not a bad tire once you get the right setup. I would still prefer the RA1 for a similiar class of tire for it's characteristics. I prefer Hoosiers over the Toyo's on a cost is no issue, and slicks in certain instances where allowed and optimum for a certain race class.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what it cost you.
Viking

Originally Posted by trackjunky
We talked, but before I spend $600 on a new set of rear tires I'd like to be really certain. I did get on the Toyo site when I came home and found those exact same links.

The other two cars had the same wear that I had, even though they did not see that wear pattern with other tire brands. Globe mentioned the same thing. This get's me to thinking about the brand of tire I want to use. If this is a problem, I'm going to Nitto's or BFG's.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:10 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

I have two R888's that will fit the rear from my first purchase. I'm gonna throw these on with maybe .5 degrees less camber and see what happens.

You know, this may have been some of the reason my car was a little loose.....too much camber for the R888's. The fronts, BTW look perfect.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:49 PM
TR6
Drifting

For what it's worth (which ain't much), I like the R888's on my spec miata. So far, no complaints.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:31 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Another thing to keep in mind is these tires do not like to be slid, they tend to get greasy which = more sliding = more greasy = more sliding... not a good combo with the nature of a 911, particularly the butt end...
Old 10-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the same problem on my 2002 996TT. Had the rears at -2.08 and they wore the edge off. The fronts at -2.25 are wearing very evenly. Just dialed back the rear camber to -1.5 and will see how that change affects the tires this coming weekend.

Quick Reply: R888 Rear tire wear on 996/911