Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an older 911 an harder car to drive well........

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

depends who is driving
Old 10-24-2009, 11:01 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I used to believe that the 911 was had to drive and that it would bite you if driven poorly. I then drove one that was properly set up and had gained the skills to drive competently on the track and realized that this was not true. My 78 SC is very easy to drive. It has different dynamics at the limit than a front or mid engined car of course. I say its easy because it communicates what it's doing at the limit very clearly and behaves predictably. I have grown up with this car and would drive no other. The modern race cars look fun and interesting. Anyone have a Cup car for me to try out?
Old 10-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Early cars are certainly "different", but I'm not certain about "more difficult". I started on track with a '68 911L, then a '67 911S, then a '69S and somewhere north of 20 after that...but never anything but air/oil cooled. Having driven others' newer 911s on track, I wouldn't like the "nannies" and the weight, but you learn to drive what you have.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

The real answer is that an older car is harder to drive if the guy in front of you has a newer car. If you have a newer car and you are behind an older car, the older car is easier to drive.

It's just that simple.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:25 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to go way against the grain here and say no. An older 911 is an easier car to drive WELL. A new car nannies will not help a well driven car, ABS doesnt stop the car sooner than a car without ABS. TC doesnt help put the power down in a well driven car, it gets in the way. And it is much harder to drive a high HP car well than a low HP car. get on the gas a tiny bit early with 150hp no problem, get on it with 800 and bamm off the road you go.

Another easy answer take two equal drivers in skill both a level 10 one never drove a new car one never drove an old car. the older car driver will go faster at first, but the newer car driver will get to 100 % first. a good example of the two would be a record holding vintage 911 driver vs a record holding 997 cup driver

PS for the record i describe well as a percentage of lap records
Old 10-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny how all of the "new car" drivers think that it is all about HP. The older cars are harder to drive at the limit, especially when you add HP to them. The cars are narrower, the wheel bases are shorter, the suspension systems not nearly as good at keeping the tires planted and the brakes are typically not as good.

Ever drive a 914 at the limit? They are positively nasty, evil little cars when pushed hard. On the flip side, my GT3, even with 400 hp was one of the most docile, predictable cars that I have ever driven. The HP made it more interesting, but it didn't make it wicked.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:43 PM
NJcroc
Racer

400 hp on a 996 or later platform isn't a high HP car that is the right balance a new 997 4.0 cup runs 600 unrestricted
Old 10-24-2009, 01:15 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NJcroc
Going to go way against the grain here and say no. An older 911 is an easier car to drive WELL. A new car nannies will not help a well driven car, ABS doesnt stop the car sooner than a car without ABS. TC doesnt help put the power down in a well driven car, it gets in the way.
That is exactly why I leave my Cayman S in the garage and bring my 87 911 to the track.......

The Cayman is much harder to drive........
Old 10-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Now that i'm instructing and riding in new cars I would have to say they certainly allow you to do things that, in my car anyway, simply would spin me. So yes, I think they are easier to drive at speeds I drive my old SC but I also agree that driving is driving. I agree with Mark too..
Old 10-24-2009, 01:19 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Croc, If your saying ABS is not helping you drive deeper, faster into the turns then your not driving the car correctly. I spent another weekend with Cervelli and this is how he gets an extra 10mph of apex speed. Straight line braking? Maybe, but because of the factory ABS system limits the max g-load. Once you start trailering properly and avoid inside wheel lockup your going faster. The modern cars allow an enormous advantage to corner entry. If you can afford the motorsport ABS system it gets even more superior. Now if I can just convince my wife to spend $$$ on that little box and the brake booster........
Old 10-24-2009, 01:32 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Originally Posted by bobt993
Croc, If your saying ABS is not helping you drive deeper, faster into the turns then your not driving the car correctly. I spent another weekend with Cervelli and this is how he gets an extra 10mph of apex speed. Straight line braking? Maybe, but because of the factory ABS system limits the max g-load. Once you start trailering properly and avoid inside wheel lockup your going faster. The modern cars allow an enormous advantage to corner entry. If you can afford the motorsport ABS system it gets even more superior. Now if I can just convince my wife to spend $$$ on that little box and the brake booster........
While I agree a modern car goes much better in a corner, it is harder to drive it like a pro and get 100% from it than an older car. we are comparing ability to drive not which one goes faster.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:47 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I still don't agree. Have a pro drive your car and he will be faster one lap out than you ever thought possible. One of the PCA front runners in J had his GT3 driven last weekend and witnessed how to use the ABS system in the corners properly. His response after coming in was a blank terrified green student look out for their first ride.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:13 PM
NJcroc
Racer

I wasnt talking about my ability to drive, a good pro will be much much faster than me. the question wasnt about anyone's driving ability but a comparison of cars

the faster a car is the faster everything happens and the harder it is to drive. the same thing happens in every car from a F1 car to a SRF. reaction times in a faster car need to be faster and more acurate. A slower car the mistake is easier to correct because you have more time to do so. of course this only applies to cars driven near the limit
Old 10-24-2009, 02:35 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe, but for me I love driving my "older" 911 and running down a lot of the new ones.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:36 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

I really don't want to flame you, but I am not sure you have driven a bunch of old 911's or pushed them. I have had a chance to drive several, but not at the level the top F class racers run at. Corner speeds are not that much different, but the degree of control is a handful at the limit. You need to modulate brake pressure to avoid lock up and the rear end likes over-steer at the moment you want neutrality. Modern cars allow an advantage with 4 channel ABS controlling inside wheel lockup and the multi-link suspensions give much better forgiveness at the edge. Where I am seeing the problem in a new car is being lazy on corner entry then making it up with early throttle around the apex. If you can go WOT at the apex, then your entry speed was really low. Ask Larry how easy it is to drive a newer car vs say an old SC. Sure your going faster on the straights, but the cars suspension and electronics provide a huge safety net to slow down the car (and biggg brakes stock!!!). It would really benefit you to drive someones older car and compare notes. The original question Paolo asked was which car is easier to drive/ race and the answer is the modern car.

Quick Reply: Is an older 911 an harder car to drive well........