Sponsored by:

Cervelli Coaching at the track

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:48 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cervelli Coaching at the track

I have been fortunate enough to work with Chris a couple of years back as a Pro Coach and we were able to get some of his time again this weekend at Thunderbolt. Despite the rain and limited track time, Chris was able to quickly evaluate car handling/driver issues and resolve them in my case along with another club racer's GT3.

The revelation for the other racer was having Chris drive his car faster than he has into the corners after just two laps (with two people in the car of course). His apex speeds were almost 10mph faster and this is in podium racer's car!

On a wet track with old scrubs I ran at the same pace as the dry times for podium in my NASA GTS class. I can only tell that you are wasting time and money not have a Pro set up and instruct you in your car. BTW my fuel economy and brake wear was improved by a good 25%.

Chris thanks again for developing the suspension and fine tuning. Can't wait to continue the process.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

Chris is a good egg, and he really knows his set-up stuff!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 10-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

I need another Cervelli fix to take my driving to the next level. Bob, what event did you do this past weekend?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Riesentoter event at Thunderbolt.

I also got to talk to Chris after the classroom session and got some good setup advice. Thanks Chris!

Thanks also to the organizers. Great event despite the weather.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:28 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You were able to get Chris to talk much?
He is always so quiet, lol. He is an awesome guy!
Raj
Old 10-19-2009, 02:13 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Chris did an informal hour long discussion of cornering speed with Red/Black group only drivers. He also provided some entertainment with a drive in a new Panamera in the rain.

Mark, I had Chris come to our Tbolt event this weekend. Despite the rain it was very productive. As you know he does a lot to remove bad habits. The best analogy I can give is a tacky budget commercial for a gadget that does everything. In this case the gadget is legit.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:48 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I never had the pleasure to watch him drive. Why can't someone sponsor him for speedvision or some pro series. Would love to watch him in action.
Raj
Old 10-19-2009, 02:56 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Just send a check to: Chris Cervelli Fund. Leave off "Fund" though. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed, Chris is much like Leh Keen very laid back, but a heavy drinker of ........... Sprite Cola.

I do not suggest hiring him unless you are willing to change the typical DE style of early throttle at the apex with slow in fast out. Instead your turn-in is slightly early and insanely fast so that after the apex early throttle would put you off the track because your already going much faster. End result is a car pointed more up the track with full throttle at the proper moment.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
I do not suggest hiring him unless you are willing to change the typical DE style of early throttle at the apex with slow in fast out. Instead your turn-in is slightly early and insanely fast so that after the apex early throttle would put you off the track because your already going much faster. End result is a car pointed more up the track with full throttle at the proper moment.
This is a HUGE transition for a lot of people, but IMO it makes the sign of a really fast driver. It is one of the basic pillars of what a good coach will teach. In fact, another poster here (SG_M3) spoke of this a few months back. The synopsis is that drivers who make the transition from fastt to VERY fast change some fundamental habits like the one you mention, Bob. They find a way to get into the corner MUCH MUCH faster, adjust the car's attitude mid corner, and then rocket out aligned perfectly. So they spend a whole lot less time in the corner than the typical DE drover.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:38 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

...... Instead your turn-in is slightly early and insanely fast so that after the apex early throttle would put you off the track because your already going much faster. End result is a car pointed more up the track with full throttle at the proper moment.
Bob, did you catch any of the action on video?....
Old 10-19-2009, 04:46 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob you should post Chris's contact information for anyone who might be interested.....

I've never had him next to me, but I've followed him many times and it's always educational and entertaining. He's damn quick....
Old 10-19-2009, 04:51 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I hired Chris a few years back w/ Mark and a few others and highly recommend him. Insanely fast, vast amount of setup knowledge and all other P car knowledge/platforms/motors/gearboxes/lsds/etc and best of all, an excellent coach. So far beyond the normal PCA instructor in all the above areas.

Agree w/ Bob that you might need to change your driving habits...I did....although my car was so far out on handling we spent most of our time working on that. He really forces you to pay attn to what the car is doing in every part of the turn of every turn.

Hope to get him in the right seat again next year.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:08 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim, Let me know if you want to go in on a Pro day sometime in the coming year. One thing I knew and the new car strongly pointed out is I stink after too many years puttering around in a no hp car.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:15 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Bob you should post Chris's contact information for anyone who might be interested.....

I've never had him next to me, but I've followed him many times and it's always educational and entertaining. He's damn quick....
JR, I will ask permission. Chris is the most laid back racer you will meet. His driving speaks for him.

Paulo. I purposely did not put a the camera or data for the first session or two. To solely focus. I did run data for the later sessions and may post up some results.

VR, it's interesting when you get the reinforcement that LFB past the apex is acceptable for super fast entry, but your better off rolling if you did everything correctly. eg most drivers were using 2 and 3rd gear entries into T1-T2 and T5, I was having to stay in 4th and hold on. There was a fast running GT3 there and I was running similar lap times with a lot less straight line speed less a 100hp.

BTW Larry is from the Cervelli school also.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

VR, it's interesting when you get the reinforcement that LFB past the apex is acceptable for super fast entry, but your better off rolling if you did everything correctly.
Heck, yes!!!!!

Quick Reply: Cervelli Coaching at the track