Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iRacing article in NYTimes

Virtual Racing article in NYTimes
(Registration may be required to read)
Sorry if it's a repost.
Didn't know that one had to register with your real name on iRacing.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

They just reduced their subscription rates also...

"Lower Prices
iRacing.com offers a variety of subscriptions, ranging from month-by-month to a new two-year plan that reduces the monthly cost of membership to less than $7.50. Additional content is also available beyond the three cars and seven tracks that come with every subscription. In each case, the new price is lower than its predecessor. A summary of the price reductions:

Subscription Term Old Price New Price % Reduced Monthly

1 month $ 19.00 $ 14.00 -26% $ 14.00
3 Month $ 50.00 $ 36.00 -28% $ 12.00
6 month $ 90.00 $ 60.00 -33% $ 10.00
1 Year $ 156.00 $ 99.00 -37% $ 8.25
2 Year $ 179.00 $ 7.46

Cars $15.00 $ 11.95 -20%

Long Tracks $20.00 & $25.00 $14.95 -25% & -40%
Short Tracks $15.00 $11.95 -20%

Members who have recently purchased additional content are protected by a pair of price-guarantee programs. Any member who has bought content (cars and tracks) within the 30 days preceding the new pricing will receive within 14 days via e-mail a code for iRacing credit for the full amount of the difference between the old and new prices. Similarly, members who have purchased content between 31 and 90 days from the onset of the new pricing will receive a credit for 50% of the difference between the old and the new prices.

Racing Participation Program

Finally, the new Race Participation Program, an earned credit of up to $40.00 per year ($10.00 per 12-week season) will be available to all iRacing members regardless of subscription type, replaces the previous subscription purchase incentive program. Existing quantity purchase discounts of up to an additional 25% remain in effect.

“We want to encourage our members to race more frequently, and we’re going to reward them for doing so,” Gardner said in making the announcement. “Really, it’s a win-win deal for our members. People enjoy racing against other drivers, and bigger fields just add to the fun and make the racing better. Someone who takes full advantage of the ‘Credit for Race Participation Program’ will earn $40 per year.”

The details of the “Credit for Race Participation Program” are as follows:

To qualify for iRacing credits a driver must participate in eight different race weeks in the course of a normal 12-week season in an individual official iRacing series. (Only Race Sessions in Official Series Count; sessions in Pro and Rookie series do NOT count, nor do sessions in Week 13.)
For the purpose of the “Credit for Race Participation Program” a driver satisfies the participation requirement by scoring championship points in his or her race session, and completing at least 50% of the number of laps completed by the class winner. Races with an odd number of laps will be truncated. e.g. If the winner of an individual’s car class completes 17 laps other members of that class need to complete only eight rather than nine laps.

In the case of a race with no finishers, the race will still count as an official session for the purposes of this program. Drivers who complete 50% of the laps completed by the driver in that class who has completed the highest number of laps will receive participation credit.

For the purposes of this program a driver may participate at any series for which he or she is eligible. (e.g. A driver holding an A license may participate in B, C, or D level races.)

Payouts are $4.00 iRacing credit per official C or D level series and $7.00 iRacing credit per official A or B level series. Maximum credit per season is $10.00.

iRacing Credits earned under this program will be calculated during Week 13 of that season. A promotion code will be generated for the proper amount of credit for each member and then e-mailed to the member prior to the start of next season.
“By both reducing and restructuring our prices, we’re encouraging our members to have more fun by racing more frequently, with more cars on more tracks, thereby increasing the value of their memberships,” Gardner said.

Hosted Private Sessions

As a new option in addition to the official weekly schedules of more than 15 regular rookie, regular and pro series, iRacing will now offer its members hosted private sessions.

For a single $3.00 hosting fee any iRacing member may organize a private race, using a variety of cars and tracks in the iRacing inventory, which is open to any other iRacing members, without additional charge and regardless of their license level.

At the option of the organizer these race and/or test sessions may be open to any iRacing member or made private through use of a password issued to a group of members of the organizer’s choosing. While the race organizer may maintain a point structure for a series of these events, a member’s official iRating and Safety Rating are not affected by the results of any hosted private session.

Gardner noted that the creation of hosted private sessions opened the service up to a large group of online racers who preferred racing in a private-league format.

“A lot of sim racers have organized their own leagues – groups of friends who like to race together,” Gardner said. “Our existing structure organizes races basically according to skill level, which is what our current members want. From the start we planned to eventually add private racing to the mix. We believe that the private league racers will join the service to take advantage of this new functionality, but will also try out our structured racing, like it, and add that to their schedules.”"
Old 10-18-2009, 09:10 PM
dblapex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess this is perfect place for me to plug the new Iracing simulator that I just put in a clients house for them. This thing is amazing! The pedals feel real, a real sparco wheel and seat built in conjuction with speedsource.

http://www.sim-sport.net/
Old 10-20-2009, 05:14 PM
kevin135
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to see this on Rennlist! The hosted racing is going to be great - we should get a Rennlist group racing the C6.R (sorry no Cup Car yet). I am happy to host the first few if there is any interest.
Kevin
Old 10-20-2009, 05:25 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm also on iRacing. My primary series has been SRF and some Star Mazda races. Next season I'll try the radical series. Have we raced Kevin? My name is Justin Lewicke.

If you guys set up a rennlist group keep me in the loop, that would be great fun.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:36 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

A friend of mine (and sporadic Rennlist poster) had a summer internship job with iRacing. How cool is that?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:37 PM
kevin135
Racer

Hey Justin,
We may have raced, not sure. Your name looks familiar. How long have you been racing iRacing?
Kevin
Old 10-20-2009, 05:39 PM
kevin135
Racer

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
A friend of mine (and sporadic Rennlist poster) had a summer internship job with iRacing. How cool is that?
If it is MT he still works for me!
Old 10-20-2009, 05:42 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

I've been registered for quite a while, but only really started participating more regularly over the summer. I'm still a solid midpacker, but getting faster. What series are you running?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:48 PM
kevin135
Racer

I've been here since the begining. I race pretty much anything, been running the Jetta as it is pretty fun but will hop into whatever race has a big crowd when I log on.
Kevin

Quick Reply: iRacing article in NYTimes