Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flying lizards vs the corvette

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 06:21 PM
rad_951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I saw the punt in the last turn I thought it was intentional. Also, I thought JB shoved JM into the wall, but the video in the other post shows otherwise.

It was a very exciting finish to the race. Wish I had recorded it.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:22 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
There's been a little more....

regarding driver's comments about the incident than shown here !!!

I really don't want to get into a pi$$ing contest so you might want to go over to

www.corvetteforum.com

and check the autocrossing & road racing section to see both Johnny O's and Jan's comments about the incident.

Also includes additional pictures and comments about the "accident".

I see a lot of armchair quarterback talk from obvious non-racers there...not even 10% of the factual analysis that is happening on this list.

This was my first time looking at that forum...makes me glad to be part of Rennlist.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:15 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

i did not make the pictures, a friend of mine on facebook had posted them. I read the vette forums and even posted something over there. the vettes were dirty all weekend. The last corner the vette tried to spin Joerg intentionally, look at his timing of the rear end.

I dont car, Lizards won, Porsche won, vette hit the wall GAME OVER!!!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:08 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LoanWolf
I see a lot of armchair quarterback talk from obvious non-racers there...not even 10% of the factual analysis that is happening on this list.

This was my first time looking at that forum...makes me glad to be part of Rennlist.
Hhmmmm.... I thought your post was commenting on the Driver's reaction to the "incident".
Seemed that you concluded both drivers accepted blame.

Now between SCCA T1 and NASA's top groups in club racing, a majority of drivers are jocketing Corvettes. Many also are posting in the Autocrossing and Road racing forums.

I just don't see any factual way you can estimate the percentage of racers on the Vette forum who post in their racing section, compared to Renlist.

ALMS/IMSA took their usual way out, penalizing both drivers... completely dodging the question.

The serious racers on both forums seem to agree that Magnussen was forced into the wall, even though Bergmeister had ample room to avoid the incident.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:27 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hhmmmm.... between SCCA T1 and NASA's top groups in club racing, a majority of drivers are jocketing Corvettes. Many also are posting in the Autocrossing and Road racing forums.

I just don't see any factual way you can estimate the percentage of racers on the Vette forum who post in their racing section, compared to Renlist.

ALMS/IMSA took their usual way out, penalizing both drivers... dodging the question.

The serious racers on both forums seem to agree that Magnussen was forced into the wall, even though Bergmiester had ample room to avoid the incident.

I was referring to the percentage of posts blindly bashing Bergmeister compared to coming up with a conclusion based on analyzing pictures, using their personal track knowledge, etc. I was not comparing the percentage of serious racers on both forums...I would have no way of knowing.

At first glance, there seemed more of "f'in Porsche ran the poor Corvette into the wall" posts than "let's form an opinion after we analyze the fotos, eyewitness reports and consider the events that led up to the incident" posts,
opposite of what I see on Rennlist, that's all. YMMV

Anyway, the drivers seem to have accepted the outcome and that is good enough for me.

As you said:
Old 10-16-2009, 08:28 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John H
what I meant was a lot of trash talk about Jorg but not much about the near punting he got in the last corner. apparently Jan claims that Jorg over-braked... Why he would do that when he had a good lead into the corner is beyond me. Now if Jan was all over his rear bumper, well..maybe then. Still the Porsche cannot out drag the Vette so the logic fails me...
Only the two drivers know what really happened out there.

One possibility for "brake checking" a driver who is catching you is to force him to check up his momentum. This is especially effective if the following car can easily make the pass on a straight.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:21 PM
sig_a
Pro

One possibility for "brake checking" a driver who is catching you is to force him to check up his momentum. This is especially effective if the following car can easily make the pass on a straight.

Bergmeister outfoxed the fox starting with that "brake checking" maneuver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwXugrQXaM
Old 10-16-2009, 09:46 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joerg didn't need to brake check, he was far enough ahead in the last corner, and had been faster on the straights all day. Besides a brake check from that far away would have still given the vette a chance to make a run on him if the vette actually used the brakes.

Jan just flew from way back and was headed off the track if there weren't an RSR there to stop his momentum.

Even if it were a park job, Jan never applied any additional braking to try to avoid contact, and with Joerg at the apex, that would have been his only choice. Funny how you've never seen such driving except from the Corvettes, and still only the Corvette's pulling stunts like that.

Someone needs to tell them there is nothing wrong with clean racing. Joerg's reputation is starkly in contrast to that of the factory Corvette team, and for good reason.

Not one guy with any ***** in here would say they would let a guy almost punt them off the track on the last lap of a major race, then just give up while they try to force their way by.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:30 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Dez, it's all conjecture....

neither you nor I were there.

Only two guys really know what happened on the track !!!

One has spoken... the other remains mute !!!

I didn't say Jan was "brake-checked", only offering the info (one possibility) in response to John H's inquiry.

Read Jan's comments....

then draw your own conclusions.

Controlled aggression is a good thing,

intentionally running someone into the wall is something else.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Sucks it ended under a cloud like that.

I just finished watching it and the Corvette guys played rough the whole race.

I do think Jan used Berg as a brake in the last turn.

I also think Berg and Long walk on water.

I was also disappointed to see Berg involved in an incident like this.

I can't decide if there was a wrong and a right or just two wrongs.

Can you link to Jan's comments? I can't find them and would like to read them.

I read O'Connell big tough man threats. Sucks racing other cars this season don't it Johnny?!
Old 10-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Those pictures are awesome!!
Old 10-16-2009, 10:50 PM
944CS
Drifting

I CANNOT BELIEVE people aren't smart enough to understand why Joerg drove Magnussen down to the wall (notice I did not say into the wall). This incident goes way beyond racing, down the bone it is about 1 man not letting politics decide an outcome and rightfully putting his own destiny in his hands.

Edit: The only way I wouldn't fault Jan for this incident is if he was ordered to do it. I can also understand why IMSA gave Bergmeister a penalty and I agree he should have gotten one.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:55 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

I found it at Jan Magnussen's web site.

Try: www.janmagnussen.com

Also: www.janmagnussen,com/news.asp?NewsID=

Look up... "Another competitor slams Jan Magnussen into the wall"

Streak,

I tend to agree with your assessment... more like two wrongs...

except one wrong was more egregious than the other.

I've been a Devil's advocate... trying to offer a reasonable fan's perspective.

The Macho thing really has no place on the track. This is serious business and people have lost their lives participating in our hobby.

Last edited by trumperZ06; 10-16-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:58 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Let's not forget that it's been a long time since the vet boys have been racing anyone else but themselves in GT1... maybe they're a little rusty in racing somebody for real...
Old 10-16-2009, 11:59 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Not one guy with any ***** in here would say they would let a guy almost punt them off the track on the last lap of a major race, then just give up while they try to force their way by.
Well put wanna911.

Glad JM was not hurt but if you want to race like that go back to dirt tracking.

Quick Reply: flying lizards vs the corvette