Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cheap camera recommendation for 996 cup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 12:29 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts
Default cheap camera recommendation for 996 cup?

I ran video in my car for the first time this weekend, and the picture/sound went all crazy at high rpm's. It's just a small JVC handheld (new) that I borrowed, attached to an IO Port mount. I've heard that chase cam is pretty good and easy to use/store data, and Race Cam is better quality picture and durability, but have to convert tape to digital. Both seem to be around a $1000 though, and for now I'd like to go w/ something less, as long as it has a usable picture. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:55 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Aiptek - search for more info than you will ever need on the various models and hacks.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:26 AM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought (used airmile points) to get a canon FS200 digital camera. Cheap but has great picture with little vibration, battery lasts 4 hours of recording and card can take 7 hours of video at highest resolution of 9mb. Only about $200
Old 10-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Greg Phillips
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Video=Digital camera

Originally Posted by David Edwards
I ran video in my car for the first time this weekend, and the picture/sound went all crazy at high rpm's. It's just a small JVC handheld (new) that I borrowed, attached to an IO Port mount. I've heard that chase cam is pretty good and easy to use/store data, and Race Cam is better quality picture and durability, but have to convert tape to digital. Both seem to be around a $1000 though, and for now I'd like to go w/ something less, as long as it has a usable picture. Suggestions?

Thanks!
I use an inexpensive (S600) Sony digital camera (4.1 mp). It has 640x480 at 30 fps and works well on my IO Port mount. Only hassle is memory sticks are not as cheap or available as SD cards. Uses AA NIMH and just needs one change at lunch for 2 drivers. Supports manual focus which is nice as I can set it ti 7 meters or infinity and not worry about the autofocus hunting as I drive.

Check out the video specs on your digital camera and it might work out well for in car video.

Greg
Old 10-07-2009, 12:24 AM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Aiptek - search for more info than you will ever need on the various models and hacks.
Also - GoPro Hero - very small, very lightweight, comes in a kit appropriate for automotive mounting. Have seen some very nice videos from these - but alas not HD (at least not yet). You'll also find lots if you search on this one.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:08 AM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

Track Daze has a group buy going on the new GoPro Hero HD for $275. It looks good in demo videos. I am going to try one. Delivery looks like November.
We'll see...

Quick Reply: cheap camera recommendation for 996 cup?