Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What has happened with Williams F1 and Sir Frank???

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 10:40 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts
Default What has happened with Williams F1 and Sir Frank???

First they break away from FOTA and don't stand strong against Bernie and the FIA. Okay, I can see that, but now Williams F1, and of all people, Campos F1, is denying the former BMW Sauber team entry to race next year!! The team was bought by an investiment group from BMW, but will be headed by Peter Sauber as an independant team once again and based in Hinwil as it always has been. Why would Sir Frank do this!!???

In other news, Kubica will replace Alonso at Renault...

Haug fuming over Campos decision
06 October 2009

Campos has followed in the footsteps of Williams by failing to accept the request for a fourteenth team to join the grid next season. Spain's Campos, set to make its own Formula One debut in 2010, must - like all other teams - give the all clear for the Qadbak team's proposal in order for the Hinwil outfit to stand a chance of remaining in the sport.

With BMW Sauber having been bought by the Swiss investments company, it lost its place on next year's grid by failing to sign the Concorde Agreement on time, allowing Lotus to seize its chance of entering. However, governing body the FIA has granted the Qadbak Sauber squad an entry, providing all other entrants agree.

Williams owner Sir Frank Williams has already explained that he desires to learn more of the company before accepting its admission and, with Campos having now followed suit, a large shadow appears to have been cast over Qadbak's 2010 entry.

Norbert Haug, on the other hand, is irritated over Campos' position. "How dare Campos, as a new team with no track record whatsoever, vote against Sauber," the Vice President of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport told Swiss publication Blick.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Campos...they're Spanish you know. So's Alonso. Maybe it's something in the water?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
...In other news, Kubica will replace Alonso at Renault...
Also, have you heard what's boiling in the background of the silly season...?

Still just early discussions but my "dream team" (from the previous thread) might become a reality next season...
It would be so sweet to see these two close friends as team mates...
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2009, 11:21 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts

Finn, so are you saying Webber might be out of Red Bull????? Kimi and Vettel at Red Bull would be STRONG!!

It is curious that there has been no announcement that Kimi is going to McLaren after the confirmation that he is no longer a Ferrari driver...
Old 10-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

Finn, so are you saying Webber might be out of Red Bull????? Kimi and Vettel at Red Bull would be STRONG!!

It is curious that there has been no announcement that Kimi is going to McLaren after the confirmation that he is no longer a Ferrari driver...
Wow. That would be a bombshell.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 10-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Lothar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Also, have you heard what's boiling in the background of the silly season...?

Still just early discussions but my "dream team" (from the previous thread) might become a reality next season...
It would be so sweet to see these two close friends as team mates...
That would be very cool. Kimi deserves a ride of that quality. VET and RAI would be a great pairing. I'm all for it!

Weber has been a big disappointment this year. Sometimes he just mentally checks out. Unfortunately, his momentary lapses leave a lot of disappointment in the team. I would not be surprised to see WEB out.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lothar
Weber has been a big disappointment this year. Sometimes he just mentally checks out. Unfortunately, his momentary lapses leave a lot of disappointment in the team. I would not be surprised to see WEB out.
Yeah, I really like Webber and he is as quick as anyone (witness his fastest lap at Suzuka), but he has not shown that he can sustain that speed over the course of a race throughout the season.

I wish that they would publish the times for every lap for each driver like My Laps does.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Wow. That would be a bombshell.

That would be very cool. Kimi deserves a ride of that quality. VET and RAI would be a great pairing. I'm all for it!

Webber has a contract with Red bull (by now we all know how much they mean) but they are interested in Kimi, Robertson's had a meeting with Red Bull management in Suzuka... Or maybe they were just discussing about the weather...?

IMO would the strongest pairing you can have in F1 at the moment. Those two are very quick, are similar personalities and friend on & off the track and I think Kimi with his cool & calmness could teach Vettel with that side of being F1 driver.

Not to mention Kimi could teach Vettel how to drive a rally car since that's what he wants and conveniently Red bull is a sponsor of Citroen's WRC rally team...
Old 10-06-2009, 12:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Would it be possible that Webber drives for Toro Rosso next season, which is for all intents and purposes, Red Bull Racing?

Kimi and Sebastian.....and Newey....throw in a Mercedes engine (Vettel is German, Haug would support that) and now you've got something.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman

I wish that they would publish the times for every lap for each driver like My Laps does.
Yeah, MyLaps does that. BerniesLaps doesn't.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:15 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Webber's been out to lunch since the Hungarian grand prix up to which he looked like a legit contender and had more points that Vettel and with second hand race strategies for almost the whole season, that's quite a feat.

However I think FM + FA + Ferrari > KR + SV + Red Bull. Ferrari will build a better car next year and has a stronger lineup if Massa returns to pre-accident productivity.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wanna911
Ferrari will build a better car next year...
Maybe. They have had some dismal cars in the not too distant past. I am very impressed with what Red Bull and Newey have done this year. Not only has the car gotten faster, but it has become more solid. Remember last year when Webber's car practically fell apart and now Buemi grinds it all the way down the guardrail and the car can still be driven back to the pits!
Old 10-06-2009, 12:49 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

It is fascinating how cut-and-thrust the issue of signing drivers in F1 is. Contracts are nothing more than likely indicators of where a driver will be next season. Everything can be negotiated.

Red Bull said they were staying with Vettel and Webber as they were the best driver pairing you could have a few months back (or something to that effect). But I can see how this new rumor could be true. It would make for a very strong team.

If that were all to fall into place, Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull would share most of the top drivers in F1. With Kubica spoken for at Renault, I wonder where this will leave Brawn. Barrichello and Button are both good, but neither is at the same level. Both can win with car superiority, but if Brawn does not have that next year, they will really struggle with Hulkenberg (new guy, bit of an unknown) and either Button or Barrichello…
Old 10-06-2009, 02:14 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was looking forward to Webber getting stronger as his bum leg heals.
Well, guess it wasn't his leg injury holding him back.

Did he have 6 pit stops at Suzuka. I lost count.

Newey chassis with Mercedes Powah. May Vettel grow up as a driver like Hamilton did.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:07 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

my impression was that red bull was pretty loyal to their drivers as evidenced by their development program...but once "development" is done, all bets are off?

Quick Reply: What has happened with Williams F1 and Sir Frank???