Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hill Country PCA DE at TWS Oct 24, 25

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 06:39 PM
BlackRain
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You are looking out front and I'm looking in my mirrors behind you hoping the other see whats about happen. Thanks for the lead follow Russell, next time I'll try and keep up a little longer!! I'll have more than 300 miles on the OD.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:47 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx

http://cafephoto.smugmug.com/Hill-Co...28_hwMRA/Large

I just noticed that you can see me looking right, towards the pit lane, saying "WTF?"

I just took a look at the shots from Blue. I think the best shots were of the cars as we left the pit after the black flag Sunday morning.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:47 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

VR was there, he's just not admitting it. But I have proof. Here's his trailer parked right next to the sign that says "Track Vehicles Only. No Support Vehicles, No Trailers"
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2009, 09:32 PM
jsh
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Glad I could help out.
Next weekend I need to go for a ride with you, maybe even drive your car myself and show you a few different ways around the track. I still pedal ok for an old guy. If you need a reference ask John, we had a fun run on the last session of the day.
Oh Yea, he can still drive! First event in the SM & he really showed me how much I was leaving behind in the car. Thanks again to Viking & Mike for instruction & great to see all the gang....Greg, Russell, Joost, et al...
Old 10-26-2009, 10:51 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Sorry I missed it, had to cancel the last minute
Old 10-27-2009, 12:41 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Highlights from the weekend:

Hanging out with deep_uv: an unplanned bonus! It was great to see you, man. Next time, you gotta drive!
Damn nice thing to say, Russell. It was great to see you and all the gang again too. What a great group of people that make up the Texas PCA regions. It won't be long before I'm driving again and I'm REALLY looking forward to it too. Love your new car dude. Very cool.

Congrats.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:34 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackRain
You are looking out front and I'm looking in my mirrors behind you hoping the other see whats about happen. Thanks for the lead follow Russell, next time I'll try and keep up a little longer!! I'll have more than 300 miles on the OD.
What a mess that was. I'm all for lead/follow with another driver, but trying to get 30 or 40 people to do it all at the same time - while not informing all instructors or those who didn't attend the classroom session - was a bad idea. Concerns about traffic mgt were raised in the classroom but were downplayed. Then I saw how much grid time was spent getting the pairs identified and headed out together, and I had more concerns. Then we had slower cars not letting whole pairs go by on the shorter straights, which led to the front straight looking more like a club race than a DE.

So, once we got separated, it was a pretty easy decision to just run at my own pace. But had it worked out, it was my job to maintain a pace that worked for both of us. I knew you were on street tires and knew that I would have to let up a bit to make it work. I did slow down at one point to see if you would catch up, but the black car coming up from behind turned out to be one of the 944's, and so I figured that you had gotten bogged down in traffic.

Next time, we need to do it the old fashioned way. Thanks for keeping an eye on those guys behind us... I knew that you would stay behind me since we had been paired together, but I didn't know what the other guys were up to. For a moment there, I thought they were going to just cut underneath us without a point-by.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:56 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paralleltangent

Viking, I saw your car but you weren't near it at the time. I'd still like to take you up on your offer to ride with me at some point.

I didn't have any of my cars there, although I tow a white and green Miata up there, which is a car I built from the ground up, and also take car of another so maybe thats what you saw. I saw you on grid once and was going to go talk to you to see if you wanted a ride but I had another student who drove up at that moment and I had to jump in with him. Next time lets find each other. Looks like I will be there this Saturday, possibly Friday also.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:07 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Yes, lets do it next time for sure. I can right seat again and then left seat as well. The car seemed good from the rt seat. There are lots of mods that can be done on a 996 to make them faster although they run surprisingly well stock or with just a few mods.

Originally Posted by flyingpenguin
Viking,

It was a pleasure having you in my right seat. I wanted to ask you to drive my car for some feedback and maybe some of your secret sauce, but I corded my front tires and headed out before the last session.

Maybe next time.

Joost
Old 10-27-2009, 12:09 PM
paralleltangent
Instructor

As one of the slower cars, it was difficult to manage getting everyone by in pairs and hoping that my partner leading me (for the first half of the session) would do the same. Once he and I switched places I tried to keep an eye on him, to make sure I'd spot him giving points so I could move to give the point on the same side to avoid forcing two cars to zig-zag between us.

Ironically, even though we were likely the two lowest-powered cars on track, I had to back off pretty much that entire session just to manage letting folks by and do my best to not bog anyone down. Thankfully by about the last two or three laps of the session we seemed to get some open track, but by then I was just ready to park it and get some lunch.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:27 PM
paralleltangent
Instructor

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I didn't have any of my cars there, although I tow a white and green Miata up there, which is a car I built from the ground up, and also take car of another so maybe thats what you saw. I saw you on grid once and was going to go talk to you to see if you wanted a ride but I had another student who drove up at that moment and I had to jump in with him. Next time lets find each other. Looks like I will be there this Saturday, possibly Friday also.
Yeah, I saw the Miata.

Can't make this weekend... as a matter of fact with all the stuff I've got going on for the rest of the year and the car needing a little attention I'm trying to figure out if I can even get to another event before next year. Hopefully I can and if you're there we can get together. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:52 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's pretty clear from that experience that lead/follow will only work well if a couple of pairs of cars are doing it in a given session. Trying to get everyone to do it at once isn't manageable. Again, as it turned out, that was the session that I was probably better off having missed.

Quick Reply: Hill Country PCA DE at TWS Oct 24, 25