Sponsored by:

Thinking about my first DE

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 04:59 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Liceman,
If you have not already, I recommend you join PCA. Your region is Northern Ohio and is a great group of people. You can check out their web site at www.norpca.org. They have a DE page with information regarding requirements. The site also lists Bob Bryant's contact info, Bob is the Chief Instructor.
They have a DE at Mid-Ohio on October 3rd and 4th, which I highly recommend. If you are unsure of starting out this quickly you can always drive down and observe/talk to people.
It has already been noted that Nelson's Ledges is not in great condition. Mid-Ohio is excellent and BeaveRun is not bad.
Good Luck and enjoy.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:08 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can also consider NASA.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/

They are a DE & Racing orgnaization and are open to all marques. So there will be many varied cars on course. NASA is a good group and they have and Ohio/Indiana region that runs Mid-ohio and tracks in the area.

NASA runs and HPDE program similar to PCA's with classroom and on track instruction. Some guys perfer PCA and other like NASA. I have been running with NASA for many years and in Arizona we have many PCA guys also do track time with NASA. The local PCA scehedule is more limited than the NASA one. Anyway it something to consider if PCA does not match your schedule.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:15 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Maybe I can be a little more helpful.... per the original question...

1st time out green student - Make sure regular maintenance is up to date, Change brake fluid, borrow a helmet
2nd time out (you are hooked now) – Have your own helmet and fire extinguisher

Blue student – scrap the stock brake pads, get track pads, better fluid, better tires, start pricing suspension…..
White solo – Seats, roll bar, harnesses, suspension
Black solo – Second set of rims, dedicated track tires, aggressive brake pads, trailer, tow vehicle
Red/Instructor – Scrap it all and buy a dedicated track car
Race – Sell the house, pimp the wife, it’s all downhill from here
^^^^^^^

I laughed for 5 minutes when I read that post.....printed it too....!

T
Old 09-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm here to report that it is possible to go slow and steady. You need a car-hating wife, a big mortgage and three little kids.

My first DE was about 12 years ago.
My second DE was about 7 years ago.
Bought my first (and current) track car two years ago.
I've done the suspension, seats and harnesses, keeping the car comfy for street use (occasional).
I manage 6 or 8 DE days each year.
I plan to be out there racing, but it ain't happening for at least 3 or 4 years. No rush.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:02 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Arkadi
1. Dont ever add up what you spend, EVER! Several reasons but mostly--plausible deniability.

Proceed with caution......and welcome to the dark side.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:14 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 257 Posts

Not to rain on the parade, but my 2 cents...

If you can't afford to write it off (as a total loss), you shouldn't put it on the track. You may want to consider on-track insurance to mitigate your losses. $#it happens, even to the best drivers.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 931guru

If you can't afford to write it off (as a total loss), you shouldn't put it on the track. You may want to consider on-track insurance to mitigate your losses. $#it happens, even to the best drivers.
There is NO room for rational thought in a thread like this ...
Old 09-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

For a new driver in the novice group, driving conservatively, I think you can and should feel confident that you will bring the car home. If it rains, then all bets are off. And there are tracks where the likelihood of damage is MUCH lower than others. NJMP - Thunderbolt is such a track. Lots of run-off and wide pavement.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:03 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I will maintain that it's more dangerous to drive to the track than on the track.

Good advice from others - but really the only question you will ask yourself after a DE event is "why didn't I do this earlier?" That and it will take about three days for the stupid grin to fade.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:20 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
advice has been given many times before, but DONT do it. !
Don't do it. It's a virus with no known cure...
Old 09-23-2009, 09:53 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by FredC
Don't do it. It's a virus with no known cure...
and you are infected more than most!!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:06 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_cocaine

Edit:

- the above is cheaper in the long run and less addictive

Last edited by DaveM993; 09-24-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:05 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree for those with bug. However novice first time DE is well controlled and the risks are low. As you move up two things conspire. Pushing harder and trying to go fast while simply being at the track more often.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:05 AM
8ball
Track Day

One other thought to add to what everyone else has said. If you can do an autocross before your track day, do it. You'll begin to get an idea of what the limit of traction feels like but at a much lower speed than on the track. I think it's a good idea to slide around a little at a slower speed before doing it on the track. I'm not saying it's a must, but like chicken soup, it couldn't hurt.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:11 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Ignore the jaded comments from people who like me went way way down the slippery slope

NASA was mentioned and what I will say is that when I get a first time DE student in NASA they almost invariably know what turn in, apex, track out are. PCA the newbies have no idea. If you know that much then it will be much easier for your instructor. If you understand what "the line" means theoretically, then you're ahead of the game. If you don't know what they are then you'll spend the entire first event driving the cones, assuming they have cones.

Also, as said, check ego at door

Quick Reply: Thinking about my first DE