Briatore Banned from FIA Competitions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by the flyin' scotsman
This, I believe, is the fundamental reason he wont work at Ferrari despite how well he may race the car. He wont fit into the family.

Ferraris dillema as discussed is the Massa unknown............if he can't make it back to F1 (I hope he does) then the teams options are limited.

If Massa doesn't come back and KR moves on then what? sign FA and keep Fisi as the 2nd driver?

IMHO Ferrari should ignore FA, keep KR around for at least next year and give Massa as long as he needs to hopefully make a full comeback.
I completely agree, I would never sign Alonso because of the baggage he brings but am starting to think more and more it will be Kimi & Fernando at Ferrari next year.

I read an interview where Keke (Rosberg) said Fernando will be in Ferrari next year and when he says so, he must have inside information about it. He doesn't speculate.

He also said Ferrari absolutely wants to keep Kimi which means they have to find a way to dump Massa and with the current situation, it would make them look bad and with Todt's son as his manager, it makes it more tricky.

Rosberg will be in McLaren next year so Kovalainen might end up in Renault, best place for him would be Brawn but Kubica needs a good seat too so that might go to him.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

We could all hold our collective breaths in the hopes that MS' neck would heal itself! That would solve Ferrari's missing driver dilemma.

Not saying this would ever happen, but it sure would jazz things up. MS might regret the "comeback" if he's a back-marker (hard to imagine, but possible). Then Maranello is right back where they started.

You have to admit, it *is* fun to speculate though.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:24 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Hypothetically speaking.......

I know some of you don't care for Alonso. I don't either. He's an *** clown. With that said, do you think Alonso helped to contrive this whole thing, or was simply 'ordered' as Piquet was?

Given what has transpired, I am rather shocked FA has not been implicated if he was in fact part of the scheme. Thoughts?

C.

Now way Alonso had no knowledge of the plan. Whether or not he helped in the execution of it is another story. All he did was get in the car and drive, probably wasn't his idea, he probably wasn't at the meeting contributing ideas either, but he sure as heck knew something was up.

Don't know if that's against the rules or not.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If Alonso was indeed aware that "something" was up, I would have expected him to notify the FIA (terms of holding a Superlicense) since clearly "something" was against FIA rules.

Then again, Little Miss Sunshine is the center of the F1 universe, so she did nothing, knowing full well she would once again skate past the FIA.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:35 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 354 Likes on 209 Posts

He didn't know? He didn't question why his car only had fifteen gallons of fuel? That as soon as he came into the pits for fuel his teammate crashed, the pits shut down and he miraculously came out in the lead?

Puh-leez. That boy is about as honest as a Chicago politician. And craftier to boot.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I asked this before.. was Alonzo on light fuel as part of qualifying strategy? also team radio said they were bringing him in early to get around another car holding him up. Was that plausible? I am not a fan nor a hater of FA, just curious.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,487 Likes on 787 Posts

Amazing also that the team incurred zero penalty, nor any sacrifice of the Barcelona win, its points, or their 2008 WC standings. IMO, this "punishhment" is nothing but a slap on the wrist. These Eurotrash asshats running F1 and the FIA are 100% corrupt to the core.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-21-2009, 04:02 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I asked this before.. was Alonzo on light fuel as part of qualifying strategy? also team radio said they were bringing him in early to get around another car holding him up. Was that plausible? I am not a fan nor a hater of FA, just curious.
FA didn't make it into quali 3, car stopped on track with an issue and FA had a little temper tantrum.

He/ the team could use any fuel strategy they wanted.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree...it's pretty light punishment for a stunt that put others at risk.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Amazing also that the team incurred zero penalty, nor any sacrifice of the Barcelona win, its points, or their 2008 WC standings. IMO, this "punishhment" is nothing but a slap on the wrist. These Eurotrash asshats running F1 and the FIA are 100% corrupt to the core.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I asked this before.. was Alonzo on light fuel as part of qualifying strategy?
Bob,

In Q1 & Q2 teams can qualify with whatever fuel load they want AND start with whatever fuel load they want. The only teams that are restricted are those teams that make it into Q3.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

also team radio said they were bringing him in early to get around another car holding him up. Was that plausible? I am not a fan nor a hater of FA, just curious.
You really need to read the team radio transcripts to understand the subtle controversy here. Flav and Symmonds seemed to be saying that another car was holding Alonso up, but at least one of their own engineers seemed to be disagreeing with them on the radio and openly questioned the decision to bring him in on lap 12 rather than 14 or 15.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:01 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

Dave,

The egos and politics in F1 are beyond what we can conprehend. Billionaires fighting amongst each other on the world stage.

Two things are in play here. First off, Max is out of office starting next month. He is going to take down as many of his enemies as possible. The person who is alleged to have set up or at least had cameras when Mosley had the **** hookers around is Ron Dennis. RD is out.

Briatore also turned on Mosley and received his lifetime ban. If Mosely could get something on Luca Di Montezemelo before next month, he would.

The 2nd thing is that Bernie doesn't want to lose Renault as a constructor or engine supplier, especially after losing Honda and BMW within a years time. Hence the "non penalty/Suspension" against Reanult.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Followed by....

KABLAMMO !
Old 09-21-2009, 10:19 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who sells the t-shirt:

F1 - Politics As Usual
Old 09-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
...The 2nd thing is that Bernie doesn't want to lose Renault as a constructor or engine supplier, especially after losing Honda and BMW within a years time. Hence the "non penalty/Suspension" against Renault.
+1
This is also the reason why FIA "couldn't find anything that would prove Alonso was aware of this"...
FIA determined that Alonso is too valuable for Formula 1 to ban him so their "search" came empty. I'm sure they searched really hard...

It's a shame there's as much bull**** there is and then some gets punished, while others don't. Alonso should've been penalized of course and even more so, Piquet JR. In JR's case, at least he will be "punished" because no team in F1 will hire him although he was so ****ed up & slow that that would've been very unlikely anyway but in ALonso's case, he escaped without any penalty while Briatore gets a lifetime ban.
(We all know there is no way he was not part of this)

Quick Reply: Briatore Banned from FIA Competitions