Sponsored by:

Cool Shirt/F.A.S.T question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 01:44 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Cool Shirt/F.A.S.T question

I'm looking into buying some sort of cool shirt unit. I'm a little surprised how expensive these units are, so I thought I'd ask for some guidance before I do the wrong thing.

Comparing Cool Shirt and F.A.S.T., which unit do you prefer and why?

Longest period on the track is 1 1/2 hours. Will the 12 quart chest be sufficient or will I need 24? Does anybody out there use the 24 qt chest? I'm planning to mount it on the passenger side floor. Space-wise the 12 qt chest is probably my preference.

I'm guessing I need some sort of on/off switch. Do you recommend I also get some form of temperature control mechanism?

Do you recommend I get the tray mounting piece?

Any other general advice/issues you think I should be alert to?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by dave morris; 09-18-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a FAST system with the 8 quart cooler. If I add ice to it in the late morning, it easily lasts for 3 30-minute sessions throughout the afternoon. I mounted mine in the from trunk as I sometimes give students rides (and I refuse to give up cooling for a student!).

I've run a 4-hour enduro with it.

The cheaper 8 qt system has worked well for me for 5 years with about 10 weekend per year. The nicer, buckle closed, "pro" system looks nicer and may last longer, but is a bit pricey.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:15 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,193 Likes on 423 Posts

Just bought a FAST 13qt system. I'd like to mount it up front, but I'm pretty sure the cooler is too big. Another option, although not ideal, is behind the passenger seat. Anyone have pics of different mountings (up front, passenger floor, etc)?
Old 09-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Regardless of the system or size don't underestimate how well block ice works vs. smaller cubes.

I found some Tupperware containers than are close to size of my Cool box. Even in +95F ambient Ga heat it pretty much lasts all day, whereas cubes need to be replenished a few times. One more thing to do the night before, but less to do the day of an event.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:14 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a fast system and really like it, got the 13 quart system and a fill in the morning of the day last for a full race day in 90 degrees. Best thing I have ever bought
Old 09-18-2009, 09:26 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the smaller Cool Shirt system. Love it. Second the suggestion for blocks rather than cubes - it really makes a difference. The other think I do is start the cooling set up Fri Night so that when I add the Ice Sat morning the water and the cooler are already cold. 1 Addition a day does me normally (Thunderhill in August sometimes needs help)
Old 09-18-2009, 09:49 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I have the larger Cool Shirt system. I use it from spring through fall. I love it.

This is the unit I bought. http://www.coolshirt.net/racing-pro-air.html

If you can swing for the full monty I don't think you will ever regret it. I don't have an 'Air Helmet' yet but I will have to upgrade next year and I'll add that feature to the new lid.
Air will be feed through my Smart Racing Air Intake System. This brings in outside air for the front vent.

Mine is mounted in the passenger footwell. Only draw back is taking it out when I have company. I wanted to put it up front but the older cars don't have room. If you are handy at fabricating make the mounting braket if not buy one and be done with it.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Someone asked about placement (behind passenger seat). I really doubt it in my 964 tub there was no room on the floor and putting it on the rear shelf doesn't work either due to cage clearance issues. You want it mounted in a place that gives easy access. That usually means the front trunk or the passenger floor (seat removed).
Old 09-18-2009, 11:07 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

I've got the large F.A.S.T system (including helmet blower) in my Cayman, and the smaller system in my spec Miata. They work great, never had an issue with them. The larger cooler and helmet blower are nice to have, but even the smaller unit works well (you'll just have to refresh it more often).

As others have said, block ice is best.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:26 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave-

Both systems are good. I have the 24 Quart Cool Shirt System mounted on the floor where the passenger seat was. IMO, get the 24 quart... Here are the major differences:

1) Fast has a much different helmet cooling option. They actually have a mini-radiator inside the cooler whereas the Cool Shirt system is just a pvc loop. I think the Fast System is better here. By the way, spend the money and get the helmet cooling option. You may have to send off your helmet to modify it ($75-$100 but WELL WORTH IT).
2) Fast shirts have more cooling tube per shirt than the Cool Shirts and the Fast shirts also cool the shoulders. I have a Cool Shirt with a hood that actually cools my head which is NICE!!!
3) Cool Shirt has a thermostat of sorts to control the flow of water (therefore temperature) as does FAST. Having gone through about 4 of these control units from Cool Suit, I think they're junk. I've never used the FAST system.

The only problem I ever really have with my system now is when the hoses get kinked inside my suit when I sit in the car. You'll think the thing isn't pumping. It is but little tubes may be kinked....
Old 09-19-2009, 11:04 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks guys. Very helpful.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:12 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dave morris
Will the 12 quart chest be sufficient or will I need 24?
That will hold a 6-pack just fine.

Quick Reply: Cool Shirt/F.A.S.T question