Sponsored by:

GPS Timer Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:56 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
There are couple of others that I know are thinking for buying Racepak, I'll direct them to this thread.
I contacted Steve Wu at OG Racing and he said the group buy price is not available anymore because it was a deal with both Racepak and OG We may have to put a new GB together in order to try and get that price again.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:54 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by fc-racer
I contacted Steve Wu at OG Racing and he said the group buy price is not available anymore because it was a deal with both Racepak and OG We may have to put a new GB together in order to try and get that price again.
If there are a minimum of six definite buyers [G2X or IQ3] I'll see if I can get Racepak and OG Racing together on another GB. No promises, but I'll try.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:40 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Tony, I'm in for G2X if there is a group buy.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:36 PM
wwmeatman
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RLC is a good choice

I race PCA and looked at all the options for about a year and could not decide as each had drawbacks. I wanted to be able to get feedback while I was driving as well as have data to analyze on the computer off the track.

I ended up getting the RLC Track Commander. It has a big display and predictive lap times that I can read easily in the car. It has really made a difference in my driving. I am very happy with the system.

I have loaned the system to two friends to try and they both bought one.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:18 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wwmeatman
I race PCA and looked at all the options for about a year and could not decide as each had drawbacks. I wanted to be able to get feedback while I was driving as well as have data to analyze on the computer off the track.

I ended up getting the RLC Track Commander. It has a big display and predictive lap times that I can read easily in the car. It has really made a difference in my driving. I am very happy with the system.

I have loaned the system to two friends to try and they both bought one.
thanks for posting -- this is the first feedback I have received on the Track Commander and it is the one that looks the most promising from my de needs.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:48 AM
BelMaseto
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2 cents...

Just I've upgraded Performance Box to a complete Race-Technology system with DL1 GPS & accelerometers data box, fully configurable DASH3 compact display and VIDEO4 video recorder box. Car data can be obtained from some ECU via CAN bus, although they don't have Bosch Motronic interface, so for P-cars you are restricted to the information provided by OBD-II interface.

AIM systems can read Motronic ECU data, but I dont like the software, the display option is poor unless you go to full Motec-style dash screen.

Not installed the new system yet, but I've download the software and some demo files, and IMO this is one of the best solution available. Complete system, including 2 bullet cams, cables, mounts, etc, is about £1.800.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:48 AM
Rene
Racer

Im in for the GB on the IQ3. Does anyone know if it will talk to a GM ECU? Il doing a LS1 swap?
Old 11-15-2009, 04:52 AM
95ONE
Race Car

my experience and opinion, the IQ3 is the biggest bang for the buck hands down. Like the Aim... Its software is pages deep and hard to learn at first. But Integrated GPS Predictive lap timing, split timing, Programmable display, with rev and whatever you want warnings, Its a complete package for $1500.. I'd be shocked if it didn't work with a GM ECU...
Old 11-15-2009, 01:48 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

A good friend and fellow RL'er just finished the build on his ground-up lightweight 911 GT race car. We talked about data and instrumentation, and settled on a plan that used the Racepak IQ3 as the single display/instrumentation/warning device for the car. The result has worked extremely well.

Aside from the the more obvious things like predictive lap timing, the the IQ3's integration of sensor displays and warnings really works well.
- We have the all of the sensor displays set up on the second page of displays, so with a single button press you can see sensor values like oil pressure and temperature, brake pressure, throttle position etc.
- We have warning thresholds set for oil pressure and temperature, and will add fuel level over the winter. The warning setup is 'smart'. All warnings can combine two channels which means an oil pressure warning will only be displayed if the oil pressure is above or below the threshold values AND the RPM is above 500RPM [or any RPM you choose]. You don't get a swag of warnings unless the engine is running and there's a real problem.
- When a warning is set, the assigned warning light on the dash comes on [there are four LED warning lights] the channel and value is displayed on the dash - flashing on/off too. Eg Oil Temp = 240 flashes on the lower line of the main dash screen.
- All warnings can be tied to an external warning light - the big red trouble light.

All things considered, it really worked well in this 'all in the dash' application.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:22 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Tony, I was on Racepak's website and it looks like there is a new LCD dash for the G2X, is that correct or am I not understanding the rather confusing site?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:23 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Tony, I was on Racepak's website and it looks like there is a new LCD dash for the G2X, is that correct or am I not understanding the rather confusing site?
Yes, its a confusing site. The standard G2X display has not changed - its still the multi-function LED display:

There's also a display-only version of the IQ3 [no GPS, no logging] that can be connected to the G2X and used as a display. I suspect that's what you might have seen?
Old 12-07-2009, 12:15 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Thanks Tony, for some reason I thought this was the new dash: http://racepak.com/Road_Racing/LDX.php

Old 12-07-2009, 12:37 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Tony, while you're here, how do you think the IQ3 compares to the G2X w/dash. I love the IQ3, but am concerned about how to mount it in a street car, given the axis requirements. The G2X seems easier to deal with in a street car. Your thoughts and insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:57 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Tony, while you're here, how do you think the IQ3 compares to the G2X w/dash. I love the IQ3, but am concerned about how to mount it in a street car, given the axis requirements. The G2X seems easier to deal with in a street car. Your thoughts and insight would be greatly appreciated.
The G2X is a good choice for a dual use street/track car. The display can go anywhere you like, although you need to be able to reach it when strapped in. No orientation limitations, and it can be attached with high-test velcro if you want. It will give you everything you need, including predictive lap time display.

The IQ3 is definitely better for a dedicated trackl car. It really want to be installed in the driver's eye-line, and thet typically means on teh steering column or over the stock dash. Not great for a street car :-)
Old 12-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The standard G2X comes with the LED dash. You can also buy the G2X without a dash, and then buy the IQ3 Dash and connect the IQ3 Dash to the G2X via a V-Net cable.

- or -

You can buy the IQ3 (not "IQ3 Dash"), which is the dash display and data logger all built into 1 unit.

Quick Reply: GPS Timer Recommendations