Sponsored by:

GPS Timer Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Liquidcooled
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Timer Recommendations

I am looking for something to keep track of lap times, wanted to go with a GPS timer because most track days do not allow beacons to be used at the track. Can anyone recommend a decent, and hopefully inexpensive timer.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

A lot of people have the Traqmate. It's one of the cheaper ones, it's pretty intuitive to use, and you can easily swap data with your friends (who are also using Traqmate).

DA has been discussed at length here - you'll find lots of good info if you search.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:21 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Traqmate Basic

Traqmate Basic is $699 retail. Set it and forget it. It will record your lap times and you download to a laptop.
http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/prod-1892.htm

The $999 version includes the display mount so you can view your lap times live.
http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/prod-1476.htm

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook

Last edited by ApexPerformance; 09-15-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Add URL
Old 09-15-2009, 04:53 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't have the Traqmate, but a lot of folks do and really like them.
I have an AIM dash, which inlcudes timing capabilities, but is way overkill for just that.
I would not be as happy with a timer that does not display current lap times, though, which means the more expensive Traqmate would be my choice if cost was acceptable.
Does the mythical SmartyCam provide real time timing? If so, that might be an excellent option when it is released in the U.S.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As it stands right now the SmartyCam doesn't have a StandAlone display setup so to get the lap time setup you'd need one of the AIM dataloggers with a dash to get a readout.

The Traqmate is a very good middle ground for datalogging/lap timer. Was using one just this weekend in 5 or so cars at a DE and everyone was able to learn from it.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Of the $1000 or less GPS based data devices out there, so far Traqmate is the easiest to use and the most used for a reason. It can be shown how to use it in the first 30 minutes after installing the software. It is all about keeping it simple.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:08 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep looking at this one but have not pulled the trigger yet...
(no affiliation)

http://rlcracing.com/Documents/Track_Commander.pdf

Trending Topics

Old 09-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I like my Traqmate but the software is total crap. The data is in there, but it's sort of flaky and the UI makes it a real chore to get useful information out of it. I'd still recommend it, though.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 157 Posts

MaxQData works pretty well and is quite economical, especially if you find a good used PDA cheap..
Old 09-16-2009, 12:40 AM
Liquidcooled
Advanced

Thanks everyone, I'm going to start researching the timers mention above and hopefully have one soon.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Weston
Racer

Traqmate is awesome, widely used, easy to use, and holds its value well. It was very useful at NASA Nationals last weekend... I showed up with garbage tires for qualifying and was a few seconds off the pace. I compared data with another racer and it very quickly validated my feeling that I needed to be braking deeper, but I was doing some other sections well, and that the tires simply didn't perform in several areas. I picked up a couple of seconds by the second day, then switched to somewhat competitive tires and instantly picked up a few more seconds.

Although much of what it told me was stuff I pretty much already figured out, having that validation really saved me some time and kept me from second-guessing myself, and then it told me some other smaller things on top of that. It's really nice to be able to have solid data rather than operating with a best-guess approach. It saves me from having to blow $$$ on Test & Tune track time. It's also very helpful to know as soon as I run a good lap time, and if my current lap is shaping up to be better or worse than my others. I used that to determine when to take cool down laps in qualifying, and when to call it good and just conserve some tires and the car.

It's an expensive piece of hardware, but it pays off by helping me get the most of my track time and race on a reasonable budget.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:18 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

http://www.rumblestripracing.com/index.html

A friend of mine designed and built these. Predictive lap timer is excellent.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:32 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do people feel about the Racepak G2X? I've been researching it online, but there aren't many reviews of the unit. The dash/logger combination seems to be reasonably priced and the software seems ok too. Any thoughts?
Old 09-16-2009, 07:14 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Traqmate and it works pretty well... but I am hoping to pick up a logging dash one of these days. Definitely some cool new stuff out recently!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:23 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fc-racer
How do people feel about the Racepak G2X? I've been researching it online, but there aren't many reviews of the unit. The dash/logger combination seems to be reasonably priced and the software seems ok too. Any thoughts?
Great choice. Quite a few guys bought the G2X and the IQ3 on a GB here a few months ago. Software is far more capable than the Traqmate stuff [G2X & IQ3 use the same DatalinkII software].

Quick Reply: GPS Timer Recommendations