Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Timer Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

If anyone needs a Traqmate I have a couple that I need to get rid of. Brand new units in the box. Shoot me a PM if interested.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Just saw that 3 of the Bimmerworld cars FS in the back of Grassroots, any idea where the approximate pricing is Seth?
Old 12-07-2009, 02:53 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by APKhaos
The G2X is a good choice for a dual use street/track car. The display can go anywhere you like, although you need to be able to reach it when strapped in. No orientation limitations, and it can be attached with high-test velcro if you want. It will give you everything you need, including predictive lap time display.

The IQ3 is definitely better for a dedicated trackl car. It really want to be installed in the driver's eye-line, and thet typically means on teh steering column or over the stock dash. Not great for a street car :-)
Thanks for the insight Tony!! I now have to wait for the next group buy on the Racepak systems
Old 12-08-2009, 01:38 PM
crashnscar
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
If there are a minimum of six definite buyers [G2X or IQ3] I'll see if I can get Racepak and OG Racing together on another GB. No promises, but I'll try.
I'd be in for at least one IQ3 if you got a group buy going again
Old 12-08-2009, 02:39 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll talk to the Racepak guys and OG Racing at the PRI show. Can't guarantee anything, but I'll give it a shot.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:39 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,175 Likes on 412 Posts

I definitely recommend getting one that, at a minimum, gives you real time feedback. Whether it's just your last lap's time, or the predictive lap time, I find it instantly useful even in a race.

I went the G2X route and I agree the software takes time to get comfortable with, but comparing best laps, segment times and having the ability to identify the things you did differently is awesome.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpinkert
I definitely recommend getting one that, at a minimum, gives you real time feedback. Whether it's just your last lap's time, or the predictive lap time, I find it instantly useful even in a race.

I went the G2X route and I agree the software takes time to get comfortable with, but comparing best laps, segment times and having the ability to identify the things you did differently is awesome.
Not to get into a witch is better thread but all of this can be done with a Traqmate too. The display for the Traqmate is a little bit simpler than the G2X but the data software does all the same things the G2X does but only simpler. It will show you every piece of data you just mentioned. My biggest thing with the Traqmate is that it does keep things very simple so it makes it easy to use and easy to show everyone else how to use it. The G2X software has never been that easy to use. I use them both on a regular basis and I prefer the Traqmate over G2x for the this reason. What I find with most guys looking at data is that they try to look at too much and not at the simple things that matter. The simpler it is kept, the easier it is to learn and to make instant improvements on track. Either way both give you the tools and the data that you need to go faster on the track. The rest is up to you guys on which you buy.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

I have to concur with Seth about the ease of use aspect, especially regarding the analysis software. I also prefer TraqMate for this reason, although it is by no means the only good system out there. But it IS very, very easy to instantly look at and analyze the key apsects of data, and create an agenda for improvement, w/o wasting a lot of time or headaches. YMMV.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 12-09-2009, 12:53 AM
comatb
Rennlist Member

I bought the IQ3 because it has the ability to replace every gauge in the stock instrument cluster and more. I don't have to scan in different places to look at RPM, speed, oil pressure and temperature, water temperature, lap time, best lap time as well as the predictive lap time. The display is very big, easy to read and has four programable warning lights as well as shift lights.

I have not used a TraqMate so I can't comment on the software difference. The IQ3 does it all in one package. This was the key factor for me. It may not be as important or affordable for others. That's why there is such a variety of products out there. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:47 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Lots of stuff said here but I will keep it short;

First of all buy Seths used units. Are you crazy? ;-).

I think the Traqmate is the best unit for someone doing driver improvement and not into racing yet. The software is simple, it has reasonable expandability, and works well. We sell/use these units till the cows come home. If you are a BMW club member we have 10% off promo running until early next year. http://www.gormanms.com/services/bmwcca/. You must provide your BMW club # when you check out, no funny business people.

When you get into racing, get a dash product, like AiM, Racepak, or MoTeC. AiM is the strongest, with Racepak being a value leader. The Racepak software is not geared towards driver development and is not intuitive. But the hardware is less expensive. AiM is the better with software, and great quality hardeware. Tons of options. MoTeC is the king, it's what I run. It's what is in Cup Cars, it's the best, but things start at about 4k.

Well sell/support/use all the units mentioned.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kgorman
Lots of stuff said here but I will keep it short;

First of all buy Seths used units. Are you crazy? ;-).

I think the Traqmate is the best unit for someone doing driver improvement and not into racing yet. The software is simple, it has reasonable expandability, and works well. We sell/use these units till the cows come home. If you are a BMW club member we have 10% off promo running until early next year. http://www.gormanms.com/services/bmwcca/. You must provide your BMW club # when you check out, no funny business people.

When you get into racing, get a dash product, like AiM, Racepak, or MoTeC. AiM is the strongest, with Racepak being a value leader. The Racepak software is not geared towards driver development and is not intuitive. But the hardware is less expensive. AiM is the better with software, and great quality hardeware. Tons of options. MoTeC is the king, it's what I run. It's what is in Cup Cars, it's the best, but things start at about 4k.

Well sell/support/use all the units mentioned.
Wait a minute. The Traqmates I have are brand new not used.

I do think what you said is 99% correct. The only exception is that the Traqmate can be used for the beginning racer and racer that is starting to learn data. There are a lot of racers out there using the Traqmate because of its ease of use and the data they get from it.

What I think is very important in this thread is not how to get people to spend money on data they don't need. What needs to happen in the first place is the driver needs to figure out what their goals are, what they really want, and what they are really going to use it for. There are a lot of data systems out there that have every bell and whistle known to man, Motec being one of them. It shows whatever information you want down to inches on the track if you want it to. Most of this data is too much for the weekend racer. Most of the bells and whistles are too much for the weekend racer. Most of the cheaper systems on the market (Traqmate, G2X, AIM) do 90% of what a Motec will do. They don't do it as well but for the weekend warrior this suffices most of the time. The only time I have ever seen a Traqmate or similar system not work for a club racer is when the racer is already one of the fastest guys on track and he needs that last 10% of data to get the last 1% out of his driving abilities.

If you looking into data acquisition systems think about how much you will actually use it. Then get the system that matches your needs. Data is nothing if you never use it.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:27 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Well said Seth.

I think the only thing missing for the racer in the TM product line is a proper dash with alarms, display, etc. Sometimes it's too much for someone, but sometimes it's important... I am sure you know this, adding it to the conversation.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:56 PM
95ONE
Race Car

I'd be in on another Group buy for the IQ3. I love it for its versatility for my race car.. All the gauges, and acquisition. GPS included. Bang for the buck please. For now. besides.. I'm sure I'll grow out of the "Easy to read with big letters" stuff quick enough. Like when I bought a 600cc sport bike because it was so much power for a new rider, and wished I got the 750 or 900 3 months later. Crazy example, I know

Quick Reply: GPS Timer Recommendations