Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the difference between shutting the door and a chop?........

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:54 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
poor Paulo
.....Dan I have a black F 911.....
Old 09-02-2009, 10:09 AM
dmwhite
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
If you have to back off to avoid punting him in the rear, it is shutting the door. If you have to back off to avoid taking out his quarter panel, it is a chop.
well said!

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
I generally don't consider it "shutting the door" unless the driver then makes a 2nd move when they realize that the other driver is trying to take advantage of the line they left them after choosing their lane and making their "move". And then it becomes a chop if they make that blocking move too late to the point that the other driver has to be a hero to avoid hitting them.
imo "shutting the door" on someone isn't necessarily blocking...if you're first defensive move is shutting the door, then that's just hard (and agressive) racing...if it's your second move, then i agree that it's blocking (and illegal)

here's another example of getting chopped...turn 2 at cmp after the start:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1E9skQO2ak
Old 09-02-2009, 10:18 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 774 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
the pca 13/13 rule invites the chop since the overtaking car has responsibility for safely passing as Larry mentions. guys think this means they can chop and the guy passing has to back out. it's a clear problem of a rule in theory versus a rule in practice.
I have to disagree somewhat on this. Most of the Stewards constantly emphasize the 'co-exist' concept and police it accordingly. Besides, what's the sense in hiding behind a rule and being able to say "it was his fault as the rule states, not mine" but then having a wrecked car? Are principles worth that?

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 09-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
the pca 13/13 rule invites the chop since the overtaking car has responsibility for safely passing as Larry mentions. guys think this means they can chop and the guy passing has to back out. it's a clear problem of a rule in theory versus a rule in practice.
I think I read that in the Gideon Bible... or at least I should have.
Right on.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
I have to disagree somewhat on this. Most of the Stewards constantly emphasize the 'co-exist' concept and police it accordingly.
I agree that it is the intention of PCA to have you co-exist. Unfortunately that sometimes is not what happens out on the track, and it is well know that if you are the car behind you REALLY have to have a preponderance of evidence showing that you were chopped so as not to get a 13.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:43 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For crying out loud, guys, this is Club Racing! Give an inch, it won't kill ya.....
Old 09-02-2009, 11:02 AM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
For crying out loud, guys, this is Club Racing! Give an inch, it won't kill ya.....
lol, always back to the "we here for fun!" idea. Go back to winning DE's.

You give them room, not anything else. The video posted earlier, 911 and white 914 isn't that bad. He gave you room, not a lot, but space.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:14 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_M3
lol, always back to the "we here for fun!" idea.
Wait, am I missing something here? Are we in this for the money?
Old 09-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

You give them room, not anything else. The video posted earlier, 911 and white 914 isn't that bad. He gave you room, not a lot, but space.
You must be watching a different video than me. I see a 914 that choose the outside and then decided to chop down and take the inside away after the 911 got alongside during the turn entry. He most definitely didn't leave room for the 911 on the inside of the turn. Is that an "ok" move in 13/13 racing? No. Is that an "ok" move in non-13/13 racing? Depends on the driver who is being chopped and whether the battle is for a class position. If I'm the 911, that 914 is going to find itself spinning to the outside of the track because there's no way I'm backing off or going agro over that particular curb just so he can chop down to the apex and take up space that I'm already there occupying. The 914 had the chance to take the inside line into the turn and decided to move over just before the braking zone.

I'm more than willing to leave you as little room as possible (which may mean less than a car width of pavement if the inside curb is one that you can straddle), but I will always try to leave room for us to both navigate the turn if I've chosen the outside as my defensive move and the other car has come alongside under braking/turn entry. If I didn't want you to have the chance to get under me, I should have choosen the inside line on the way into the turn.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by gums
Wait, am I missing something here? Are we in this for the money?
No, but two free Hoosier R100 slicks is a pretty decent payoff for a race win.

Besides, unless we're talking NASCAR or higher, the money you get for winning is way less important than the winning itself. I doubt the Koni Challenge or World Challenge guys really drive more aggressively because of the difference in payout between P1 and P2. They drive aggressively because they are competitive and they want to win.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:39 AM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

You must be watching a different video than me. I see a 914 that choose the outside and then decided to chop down and take the inside away after the 911 got alongside during the turn entry. He most definitely didn't leave room for the 911 on the inside of the turn. Is that an "ok" move in 13/13 racing? No. Is that an "ok" move in non-13/13 racing? Depends on the driver who is being chopped and whether the battle is for a class position. If I'm the 911, that 914 is going to find itself spinning to the outside of the track because there's no way I'm backing off or going agro over that particular curb just so he can chop down to the apex and take up space that I'm already there occupying. The 914 had the chance to take the inside line into the turn and decided to move over just before the braking zone.

I'm more than willing to leave you as little room as possible (which may mean less than a car width of pavement if the inside curb is one that you can straddle), but I will always try to leave room for us to both navigate the turn if I've chosen the outside as my defensive move and the other car has come alongside under braking/turn entry. If I didn't want you to have the chance to get under me, I should have choosen the inside line on the way into the turn.
I don't condone the 914's actions, and its not a move I would make. But I don't think its as awful as everyone makes it out to be. Good heads up driving by the 911 though, could have been much worse. ex: that yellow 944 video in another thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OTG6j_t-gI

Thats a worse chop in T1 than the WGI video.

They drive aggressively because they are competitive and they want to win.
Agreed, just because you are a club racer doesn't mean you have to stop being competitive. I guess i'm in the minority here, but I spend way too much money and time to just go have fun. I want to win.......hear that Dave White!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 AM
dmwhite
Instructor

I want to win
it's healthy to want things...
Old 09-02-2009, 11:54 AM
JClark
Instructor

I want to win....
Then stay in Texas?
Old 09-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Thats a worse chop in T1 than the WGI video.
Agreed...though the inside was much kinder at Putnam than the curb at WGI would have been.

I guess i'm in the minority here, but I spend way too much money and time to just go have fun. I want to win.......hear that Dave White!
Everyone knows that if Ryan could just find a JP car to rent, he would wipe the track with all of y'all at O'fest.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just my observations, but the kind of moves shown in these videos (except for the cup car having to go agro to avoid) has happened to me (and I've watched happen to others) at every PCA or NASA race. I just considered it inexperience on my part to take that move away from the other driver by figuring out a way to force the car not to turn in when he wants. Most times I consider it as having slowed down too much and losing momentum which allows the other driver the opportunnity to get on the gas faster.

Quick Reply: What is the difference between shutting the door and a chop?........