Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the difference between shutting the door and a chop?........

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:39 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
Mamma mia.........

Did you stop by and say "HELLOOOOOO" to him/her afterwards?......
Old 09-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Sean, the least you could have done was reach out and clean his door handle...................
I should have reached over and smacked him
Old 09-01-2009, 10:43 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Paolo, mille grazie!

Alora, eco "Chop";

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_GsDHwT9MA
Old 09-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have to back off to avoid punting him in the rear, it is shutting the door. If you have to back off to avoid taking out his quarter panel, it is a chop.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:55 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
If you have to back off to avoid punting him in the rear, it is shutting the door. If you have to back off to avoid taking out his quarter panel, it is a chop.
Larry...... I got to say your explanation makes a lot of sense to me.....

How are they considered in PCA racing, hard racing or not gentlemanly?.......
Old 09-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
How are they considered in PCA racing, hard racing or not gentlemanly?.......
Neither of the situations that Larry describes are "allowed" anywhere...they sometimes happen when money, ego, and a race win are on the line. I consider them to be crap whether racing 13/13 or Pro Racing...that said, if it's the last lap of a Pro race that means something, I may not be so stuck to my morals.

In 13/13 they certainly aren't allowed as contact isn't allowed. Most sets of racing rules allow 1 "defensive" move. Once the lead driver has chosen the outside line, he has to allow room for the other car on the inside if it comes alongside on the way into the corner, so shutting the door or chopping isn't allowed. Keep in mind, it's not "shutting the door" if the trailing car is in the process of making a dive bomb pass that he/she has no hope of completing without pushing the lead car off the track to the outside and not respecting the lead driver's right to the line they chose when they made their move.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Shutting the door is on the verge of being overly aggressive in PCA (13/13) racing. Chopping is just plain BS. If there is contact, it is usually deemed the fault of the car trying to pass, and so the lead car unfortunately will use that rule to their advantage. If it were contact racing and I was faster, the first time you shut the door on me; ok. The second time you did it, I'd punt you off into the weeds.

Hard racing is when someone tries to come down the inside and you allow that 1 car-width at the apex but don't give up the corner, and make them beat you to the next corner.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:08 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Great points Bryan......

are the flaggers supposed to monitor and report any of these "not allowed" actions?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Hard racing is when someone tries to come down the inside and you allow that 1 car-width at the apex but don't give up the corner, and make them beat you to the next corner.
Bingo.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

are the flaggers supposed to monitor and report any of these "not allowed" actions?
Not that I'm aware of. Flaggers are there for your safety and not for enforcement of rules. If you relied on flaggers to report such violations, you'd get all sorts of opinions on what is allowed and what isn't...and the rules change from organization to organization.

If someone is driving in such a way, you need to have video and you need to take it to the stewards so that they can deal with it. Now that digital cameras are cheap and small, there's really no excuse for not running video if you are racing. It may be the difference between you getting the 13/13 for "running into" a car that turns into you at the apex or the driver who didn't leave room getting the 13/13 himself.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:34 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Like I said, the difference is worth 2 seconds.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
And an IOU punt in a corner to be named later.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:56 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

the pca 13/13 rule invites the chop since the overtaking car has responsibility for safely passing as Larry mentions. guys think this means they can chop and the guy passing has to back out. it's a clear problem of a rule in theory versus a rule in practice.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
the pca 13/13 rule invites the chop since the overtaking car has responsibility for safely passing as Larry mentions. guys think this means they can chop and the guy passing has to back out. it's a clear problem of a rule in theory versus a rule in practice.
+1. Excellent point Sean.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:01 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great points Bryan......

Paolo, they call race control and it is noted. I had this situation two weeks ago. I was left a gaping hole in T4 at Summit on the inside by P1-P2 cars and took it (last lap of the race). Three wide in the chute was crazy. Car in the middle moved over on me while we were side by side and I went farming having to brake in the grass at 100mph for T5. I survived and ended up in the lead. The paddock talk at first was a little heated, but then the middle car came over and conveyed he was told the corner workers called in his car# as hitting/ forcing me off the track. We were even closer than Sean's video so it looked like contact.

Sean brings up a extremely important point about the 13 rule. Lead car can use this as a weapon and block down aggressively with no repercussions.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:50 AM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by FredC
I am sure you know which black E 911 I am referring to...
poor Paulo

Quick Reply: What is the difference between shutting the door and a chop?........