Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire trailer to tow with 997S (XPost from 997 forum)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Lblackman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire trailer to tow with 997S (XPost from 997 forum)

I'm just back from a couple of track days in Oregon, driving down from Vancouver BC. (ORP is spectacular!) For these trips I am dependent on others' good nature to haul my track wheels down for me.

Over the years I have thought about getting a small utility trailer to pull behind my Porsche -- originally a Boxster S, now a 997S.

Questions ...
1. does anyone have experience doing this with a 997?
2. if so, what are you using for a trailer? Resources and sources are appreciated.
3. what is your hitch set-up? I have seen hitches bolted into the frame behind the bumperettes on the rear of a Boxster, but haven't seen anything on a 997. It needs to be removable at the track.
4. any issues, in terms of driving experience?

Thanks for your collective input and advice.

Lorne @ YVR.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:40 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Willwood System for the trailer hitch. http://www.willwoodsystem.com/

I've not used it with a 997, but worked like a champ with my 996. I used a Harbour Freight trailer with my 996. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90153 I had to make a few modifications to allow it to haul four tires, a tool box, and a floor jack. Worked great.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Lblackman
Advanced

Thanks for the point to the Wildwood hitch system. Looks like the way to go.

What did you do for a wiring harness for the lights on the Harbor Freight trailer?

Lorne
Old 08-18-2009, 02:22 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I've seen roof racks used for this with the water-cooled cars.

In California, at least, there are lower speed limits for cars with trailers. I used to use a Thule rack to carry my tires -- then I switched to RA1s.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:20 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Lblackman
Thanks for the point to the Wildwood hitch system. Looks like the way to go.

What did you do for a wiring harness for the lights on the Harbor Freight trailer?

Lorne
The trailer comes with it's half of the wiring harness. I bought a standard four-wire harness at Home Depot for the car. I pulled the tail light assemblies, and just tapped into the appropriate wires on the car. You just leave the car end in the engine compartment when not in use, and let it out and close the engine cover on the wires when you need to use it. I never had a problem.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

RL Member Coochas (Dave) recently had an excellent post in this forum on this topic, Boxster, not Carrera, including a discussion of the electrical adapter for the lighting...

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...y-trailer.html
Old 08-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my rig. I've put probably 2000km on it. Porsches make awesome tow vehicles. u shoulda seen the look on the face of the camry driver as I passed him up the coquihalla hill at 120kph.. while he could barely hold 100kph.

But seriously, screw the tire trailer. Buy/Rent a truck and get a trailer. WAAY better.
Attached Images     
Old 08-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Lblackman
Advanced

I was intrigued by your rental setup at ORP last week, Rich, and it was certainly hand with Ian's problem. But I do not have anywhere to store a truck if I was to buy one. and the economics of renting for the number of track days I am trying to do simply doesn't work out.

I have played with this idea for years, and thinking it is time to take the plunge.

Lorne
Old 08-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where do you live Lorne? The tire trailer is a fun excercise, but it also needs to be stored somewhere. Also if your car has a booboo at the track, and needs to be towed, what happens to the tire trailer? Trailer is fine for local excursions but I wouldn't want to take it out of the country if I was heading for a track day. I don't know, maybe you have more confidence in the reliability of your car than I have in mine.

Quick Reply: Tire trailer to tow with 997S (XPost from 997 forum)