Chasecam video from Carrera Cup race

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:39 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

why and where in this race footage?

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Great footage, thanks! Interesting that he doesn't left foot brake. Plenty of places where it might actually help him.

LOOK AT HOW FULL THE STANDS ARE!!!!!!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-13-2009, 07:29 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Interesting, I paid to unlock the dash on my '08 cup and later added a new Chasecam. Do I just need to buy software to put the data onto the video now or is it some hardware that does it in real time?
There is a kit that 'embeds' the motec data onto the video real time, but honestly the post processing programs are much better at it.

To post-process it, you can purchase Dashware and make the display just like the video posted with the MoTeC display and all.

If you want the video to be sync'd (aka: you don't need to manually sync it in the post processing program) then you need to wire it up as such. Just PM me and I can give you the skinny. This is how we run the SDL in our boxster, we have the SDL tell our chasecam when to start/stop recording and the video is sync'd. Then we post-process using Dashware.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:09 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dumb question from the cheap seats....

Its a sequential shifter obviously...so just pull to upshift...no fuss, no muss.

But for the downshifts are the clutch and throttle blips necessary...or just easier on the tranny? I thought the seq. tranny automatically blipped the throttle for downshift based on sensing the forward pressure on the shifter???

Or was someone pulling my leg so I would come on RL R&DE Forum and ask a stupid question......
Old 08-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveM993
Dumb question from the cheap seats....

Its a sequential shifter obviously...so just pull to upshift...no fuss, no muss.

But for the downshifts are the clutch and throttle blips necessary...or just easier on the tranny? I thought the seq. tranny automatically blipped the throttle for downshift based on sensing the forward pressure on the shifter???

Or was someone pulling my leg so I would come on RL R&DE Forum and ask a stupid question......

That is by no means a dumb question! On this car, downshifts require clutch & blip. On some vehicles, the electronics do the clutch + blip for the driver.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:15 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank-you sir.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:19 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

If I remember correctly, there is an excellent article on the feeling/proper usage of using the shifter in the recent issue of Excellence where the author is driving the Lizard RSR.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

thank-you sir.

My pleasure!

Apologies to the OP and others for responding to Mark. These posts have been deleted. I should have known better, sorry.

Mark, I think it is obvious to many drivers and most racers here why LFB could have been an effective competitive advantage for the video car, and where. I am sorry but I lack the interest in explaining it to you. No slight intended. The OP got it, that's what's most important IMO.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I would say that most racers do not left foot brake, but there are many that do. I wanted to see your opinon of the advantages, as I get a different answer from many high up in motorsports. Actually, I was talking about this with Pobst a while ago and he wrote an article about it. He had some interesting comments about the technique.

My pleasure!

Apologies to the OP and others for responding to Mark. These posts have been deleted. I should have known better, sorry.

Mark, I think it is obvious to many drivers and most racers here why LFB could have been an effective competitive advantage for the video car, and where. I am sorry but I lack the interest in explaining it to you. No slight intended. The OP got it, that's what's most important IMO.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:43 AM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Still waiting to see the race queens! Lived in Japan for 5 years. Need a fix!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I would say that most racers do not left foot brake, but there are many that do. I wanted to see your opinon of the advantages, as I get a different answer from many high up in motorsports. Actually, I was talking about this with Pobst a while ago and he wrote an article about it. He had some interesting comments about the technique.

IMO a greater of a percentage of the good ones do than the percentage of the good ones who don't.

My opinion of the advantages, when situationally appropriate: quicker transitions from gas-brake-gas; much higher ability to use slight brake pressure, while on some measure of throttle, to subtly adjust attitude and/or rotation and/or balance of the car; much hig;er ability to do what I talked about in the Could I Have Saved It thread, namely to guide the center of the car's mass serenely with subtle adjustments to the front and rear of the car, sometimes simultaneously.

IMO, if one never uses LFB, one is leaving times & position on the table big-time. CAVEAT: some cars, such as those with e-Gas, make LFB more difficuult....but not impossible.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:32 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

It might also help a high rear brake biased car in high speed corners where you would want less rear braking force, and the opposite for those that didnt.

certainly getting from brake to throttle faster is a small plus too.

IMO a greater of a percentage of the good ones do than the percentage of the good ones who don't.

My opinion of the advantages, when situationally appropriate: quicker transitions from gas-brake-gas; much higher ability to use slight brake pressure, while on some measure of throttle, to subtly adjust attitude and/or rotation and/or balance of the car; much hig;er ability to do what I talked about in the Could I Have Saved It thread, namely to guide the center of the car's mass serenely with subtle adjustments to the front and rear of the car, sometimes simultaneously.

IMO, if one never uses LFB, one is leaving times & position on the table big-time. CAVEAT: some cars, such as those with e-Gas, make LFB more difficuult....but not impossible.

Quick Reply: Chasecam video from Carrera Cup race