Sponsored by:

Dzus fasteners?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dzus fasteners?

I need to attach a thin fiberglass splitter to a thick fiberglass bumper.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:37 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

They may work if you need to take it on and off a lot, but also may not be reliable for this application. They are more for top side and interior panels. Anything you do that is not permanently applied will need to be checked a lot to make sure the fasteners are not loose, unless you use some sort of self locking fastener.

Are you experiencing front lift?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:53 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like to use plastic bolts. I use lots of them to hold it firm but the bolts give way when the splitter hits the ground. Not if, when. Each bolt is by itself less strong than the bumper materal but in mass they are strong enough to hold the splitter. When you hit something the bolts fail one after the other zipper like. This keeps the bumper from getting torn off with the splitter or the bolts from pulling out the holes. Sometimes the splitter survives too. Another way if plastic bolts are not in hand is to use steel. with steel bolts I like to use large fender washers on the bumper side and no washers on the splitter side. In a hit the splitter pulls out from under the bolt heads. This will cause damage to the splitter but reinstalling with fender washers on the splitter side as well can give a second life.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Todsimpson
Racer

I like the plastic bolts idea. I've been told to regard the splitter as sacrificial...given it's thinness I think that will take care of itself.

Some areas will be blind though, so I need a fastener that is permanently installed at least on one side.

John-Regarding lift-everything I read says even the RS bumper and ducktail still allow significant lift at high speeds. I don't have the tools to determine of this is a real issue for me or not, but I figure less air under the car is a good thing.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:45 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Plastic bolts, eh?

Kurt; I used the same reasoning when I put my new fiberglas bumper on this winter. After all the HOURS & HOURS & HOURS I spent making it FIT, I wanted to give it every chance of surviving that I could. Of course, the best way is to stay on the pavement!

Tod; You have everything what you need to test for front end lift. DRIVE IT! If you drive the car and you get lift, THEN do your splitter. Otherwise, you are probably just slowing the car down, for nothing. Yes, splitters usually cause a lot of drag. If you need one, then you accept that and install one. If not, why bother? They are a HASSLE!
Old 08-12-2009, 01:55 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed my AIR fiberglass splitter with rivets. It is fast and effective. I have broken more than one spoiler and replacement takes about 15 minutes. The key is to obtain a broad head rivet.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:11 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a washer on the back if you use rivets ....
Old 08-12-2009, 03:22 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Use rivnuts in the blind hole areas. You drill a hole and set the device in place leaving a threaded hole behind. The cheap china import ones are to be avoided.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

I used the following bulb-type blind rivets for brittle materials from McMaster Carr - worked great.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

This is the "splitter" in question. It has to be removable or I can't get the car on the trailer.

I suppose this is as much an air dam as it is a splitter.

Here's what's on there now.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

It may be better just to attach the splitter with rivets or whatever and make the bumper itself removable, that's what we did. 4 Dzus fasteners, 2 up front and 1 by each fender. We welded some exhaust tubing to the chassis to interface with the brake ducts. Works like a charm. Sorry no pictures handy.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:42 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 292 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Todsimpson
This is the "splitter" in question. It has to be removable or I can't get the car on the trailer.

I suppose this is as much an air dam as it is a splitter.

If you need to be able to quickly/easily take the front spoiler (or spoiler extension -- couldn't quite tell from the pic), do yourself a favor and either use a small number of blind screws, or quick release fasteners like Dzus. Otherwise you'll soon be cursing every time you have to remove and re-attach the thing just to get on/off the trailer.

Scott
Old 08-13-2009, 05:09 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

I used to work for this company back in the day so, if money is no object, I would recommend the titanium structural panel fasteners used on the SR-71 Blackbird:

http://http://www.alcoa.com/fastenin...ce/en/home.asp
Old 08-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Tim
Racer

Ha! thats my car...

I held that splitter on with four Dzus fasteners, and two pieces of bent stock on the bumper that recieves the splittler.. so in effect it is held in place in six locations.

The one on my car need to be removed to get the car in and out of the trailer.

I haven't gone agricultural in a few years, I do know that the splitter is history when I go mowing the lawn etc..

Also my bumper is removeable by removing four bolts... easy to remove also..
Old 08-13-2009, 10:59 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Looks like a Buddy Gregg type splitter. Not so easy to make detachable due to limited access. Can you redo your ramps a bit?

Quick Reply: Dzus fasteners?