Michael might have to shed a few lbs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009...injury-ferrari
Time/Age is a BIATCH, six packs are for the young-guns
Old 08-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Hey, just saying. I thought you were going to try and be less of an axx?

Wouldnt you feel a little exposed with the chance of someone in a tree or a building with a sniper rifle? Its your world, granted, just asking.

Mk
LOL! They are not there to protect themselves. They are there to project force to protect someone else. Big difference.

As to the topic here and NASCAR drivers, I would challenge you or anyone here to drive at 175-200mph, inches apart, for 3-4+ hours, with no drivver changes and only brief stops for fuel and tahrs, in a 3,700 lb car with 15" tires and proportiionally tiny brakes, and 800hp, in summer heat, in 3+ layers of Nomex, and then tell me that top level physical conditioning is not key. Again, do NOT confuse body shape with physical condition.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-04-2009, 10:31 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
LOL! They are not there to protect themselves. They are there to project force to protect someone else. Big difference.

As to the topic here and NASCAR drivers, I would challenge you or anyone here to drive at 175-200mph, inches apart, for 3-4+ hours, with no drivver changes and only brief stops for fuel and tahrs, in a 3,700 lb car with 15" tires and proportiionally tiny brakes, and 800hp, in summer heat, in 3+ layers of Nomex, and then tell me that top level physical conditioning is not key. Again, do NOT confuse body shape with physical condition.

<-- Well said. Not everyone can have a figure like Carl and I...

Speaking of Body shape.. Nice Avitar
Old 08-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 007DT
<--

Speaking of Body shape.. Nice Avitar
Wait until you see the next one...heh...

Old 08-04-2009, 10:44 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm going to make a big effort not to fire off on you, so why dont you do the same. You see, that response was easy wasnt it? yes, that sure is a projection of force, unless you are in east LA, then it just looks like some guys out for a sunday drive.

Now, back on topic, yes, I would agree IF that track for 2-4 hours was sears point or watkins Glen. . Now, physical conditioning is important, no doubt, but no where near what could be called athletic type fit. They have a level of fitness to drive a car for long periods. 200mph, inches apart, in the heat, and in a 3 layer suit doesnt require fitness, it requires acclamation. Playing basketball for 2 hours in a hot gym rerquires fitness. I have more respect, physically for the guy that flips burgers in Austin in a diner that doesnt have air conditioning , or a roofer pounding nails every day for 8 hours in the summertime heat!! Hey, im making light of the discussion. Yes, driving those brutish cars is tough, but these guys are not particularly fit.

mk

Old 08-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Old 08-04-2009, 10:47 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

That goes away after a few months of breast feeding. :roflmao"

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Michael might have to shed a few lbs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009...injury-ferrari
Old 08-05-2009, 12:40 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We did our last race at Pocono and on day 2 ran the high bank NASCAR turn 1 and 2, I was damn near full speed. I gained a lot of respect for those roundy round guys; the road was not so smooth and the car was dancing under heavy g-loads.

Now that settles it, so make with the avatar, VR!
Old 08-05-2009, 01:44 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

It all reminds me of discussions the gang in college used to have about who were athletes and what sports really athletic competion. After years of bantering with each other, we finally all agreed the following:

A true sport requires speed, strength, coordination, team on team or one on one competion and a more than remote chance that serious injury or death can occur directly from the actual competition.

Auto racing: Athletic sport
tennis, football baseball, hockey, soccer track and field, motoX: all althletic sports.
golf, bowling, badmitton, horseshoes, autocross, etc: not athleteic sports.

So, are auto racers athletes? Yes. Are they fit? sure, they are fit to do the job. They are not as "Fit" as other athletes in other athletic sports. Fitness would equal speed, strength, endurance and physiologial abilities. In otherwords, HP. All, an opinion. VR, respect those of us adding to the discussion with thoughts, ideas or experiences.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:30 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
It all reminds me of discussions the gang in college used to have about who were athletes and what sports really athletic competion. After years of bantering with each other, we finally all agreed the following:

A true sport requires speed, strength, coordination, team on team or one on one competion and a more than remote chance that serious injury or death can occur directly from the actual competition.

Auto racing: Athletic sport
tennis, football baseball, hockey, soccer track and field, motoX: all althletic sports.
golf, bowling, badmitton, horseshoes, autocross, etc: not athleteic sports.
Did you and your college buddies actually know what real badminton (note the correct spelling, btw) is or were you just picking on the stereotype? I'm not sure I see how it is that different from tennis in some respects.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:40 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Did you and your college buddies actually know what real badminton (note the correct spelling, btw) is or were you just picking on the stereotype? I'm not sure I see how it is that different from tennis in some respects.
Solid reply.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:21 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

this according to my buddy Webster:

Athlete: a person who is trained or skilled in excersizes, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility or stamina
Old 08-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lewis, with respect, I would put NASCAR driver fitness on a par with most other top tier athletes. Just because their body types do not fit into the anorexic ectomorph F1 mold does not mean they are any less fit.

Some of them (Jimmy, Carlr etc.) yes, but sorry, not these guys.

They don't have a different "body type", they're just fat and no way in world you can call them "fit".
Sure, they might have some muscles hiding underneath the layers of fat but fit they're not.
Attached Images   
Old 08-05-2009, 11:05 AM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys,

Driver fitness is everything, and particularly in endurance racing. Thats a fact.

Some of you who know me know that I do Ironman Triathlons. Thats a 12 hour day at least. After being in the car for a 1.5 hour enduro, I am as fresh as could be. Wonder why? To compete at the top level, you have to be fit (except Tony Stewart, how does he do it?)

JL
Old 08-05-2009, 11:50 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I dont think its everything, but it is something. .
I think the difference is not how you would perform, but how you feel when you get out of the car. you come out fresh, others come out tired. Now, effect on best lap, number of fastest laps, and decision making through traffic, would be an interesting study. Personally, I think there is a benift of training how the muscles will be used. Reaction time and strength, can actually be reduced by doing long distance training. Do you need strength endurance in endurance racing? I dont know, It could, as it depends on the car i guess.
Personally, it would be interesting to see pulse rate and body temp differences of an instructor vs a new student for a DE day in a 100F degree temp day in a really fast car. I think a lot of the fitness level, is how the body handles stress and adrenaline.

Originally Posted by JimmiLew
Guys,

Driver fitness is everything, and particularly in endurance racing. Thats a fact.

Some of you who know me know that I do Ironman Triathlons. Thats a 12 hour day at least. After being in the car for a 1.5 hour enduro, I am as fresh as could be. Wonder why? To compete at the top level, you have to be fit (except Tony Stewart, how does he do it?)

JL

Quick Reply: Driver fitness!!