Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver fitness!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:23 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, for real, some of those dudes couldn't even run 1 mile non-stop, and definitely not under 8-10 minutes. Not all obviously. But there are some guys you know for a fact couldn't have jogged a step all year.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:35 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
See below...

Exactly.
Don't try to imply that you have to be fit in order to be a NASCAR driver because Tony, JP are perfect example that you don and there is a reason for it.

Yes, some of the NASCAR guys are in great shape (and nowadays there are more and more of them) but you can be a successful NASCAR driver even when you're fat & sloppy.
Yes but Tony Stewart is in 1st place...! NASCAR cars are very hard to drive...this is not coming from me but I got to spend some time talking with Patrick Carpentier whom I met back in his CART days and he was telling me the physical strength difference and skill difference between a NASCAR and a open wheel high down force cars. For those of you who do not know who Pat is he has driven CART, Indy, A!GP and NASCAR.

F1, INDY, NASCAR, ALMS, Rolex Grand Am...drivers all have different skill sets and none is easier than the other. That has been proven as drivers flip flop series.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:37 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
Also, most of the NASCAR guys run pretty elaborate cool suits and helmets in the cars. And they should. The COT is known to be very, very hot inside, even on the cooler days. Plus they are sitting in front of all the heat.

Like any sport, the top NASCAR guys are in great shape.
That may be the case, but from what I have seen, NASCAR drivers do not use cool suits - at least they didn't a couple of years ago and I can't find anything on the net that indicates they are using them today. They have run fresh air to the helmets for sometime. I would be curious if you have a reference about cool suits and NASCAR.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Dave, for real, some of those dudes couldn't even run 1 mile non-stop, and definitely not under 8-10 minutes. Not all obviously. But there are some guys you know for a fact couldn't have jogged a step all year.
I don't disagree.....but this is IMO not the sole measure of fitness.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
F1, INDY, NASCAR, ALMS, Rolex Grand Am...drivers all have different skill sets and none is easier than the other. That has been proven as drivers flip flop series.
Even Lawnmower racing has it's skill set. Though I have always thought it would be far more interesting if they had to run with operating blades.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Even Lawnmower racing has it's skill set. Though I have always thought it would be far more interesting if they had to run with operating blades.
I prefer racing Suburbans around the UN at 2 AM.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 10-15-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:50 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

I can see how that would be exciting, especially if you are carrying the toys in the photo. Never raced a Suburban but I have done hot laps in my diesel excursion around Buttonwillow - that got the attention of a few of the other drivers.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:11 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That may be the case, but from what I have seen, NASCAR drivers do not use cool suits - at least they didn't a couple of years ago and I can't find anything on the net that indicates they are using them today. They have run fresh air to the helmets for sometime. I would be curious if you have a reference about cool suits and NASCAR.
Pardon my confusion. I thought they had plumbing to through the suits as well as the helmets.

Check out this article: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor...08-08-heat.htm
Old 08-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I can see how that would be exciting, especially if you are carrying the toys in the photo. Never raced a Suburban but I have done hot laps in my diesel excursion around Buttonwillow - that got the attention of a few of the other drivers.
The most fun is (a) drifting them in the rain, and (b) getting NYPD to temporarily close off some cross streets so we could have legitimate heat races.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:44 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Look like sitting ducks to me. Better have that thing worked over by my friends at FMC. (now BAE systems).

mk

Old 08-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Look like sitting ducks to me.

mk
How can you know SO little about SO much?

j/k

Old 08-04-2009, 08:49 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Veloce Raptor;6788023]I prefer racing Suburbans around the UN at 2 AM. QUOTE]

That crew is fit, at least in a dynamic capacity
Old 08-04-2009, 08:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Well, not to start an argument, but I guess it depends on what your definition of "Fit" is? Unfortunately, as hard as auto racing is, it doesnt require the fitness of a top tier athlete from a common definition of fitness. Now if we are talking mental fitness, absolutely. There have been guys in HORRIBLE shape that have won races, but you never find a guy that that is out of shape, winning anything in any other physical sports disapline. (i.e. not golf, poker, bowling,etc, but football, track, skiing, volleyball, swimming, rugby, soccer, etc )
Edit: now, nascar drivers certainly have a level of fitness to get the job done. Its very specific and doesnt relate to fitness levels of other competitive athletes. (just as those might not apply to nascar racing either.)

Now, in racing, motocross takes the cake! those guys are animals in everyway!

mk

Lewis, with respect, I would put NASCAR driver fitness on a par with most other top tier athletes. Just because their body types do not fit into the anorexic ectomorph F1 mold does not mean they are any less fit.

Last edited by mark kibort; 08-04-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Hey, just saying. I thought you were going to try and be less of an axx?

Wouldnt you feel a little exposed with the chance of someone in a tree or a building with a sniper rifle? Its your world, granted, just asking.

Mk
How can you know SO little about SO much?

j/k

Old 08-04-2009, 09:38 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Michael might have to shed a few lbs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009...injury-ferrari

Quick Reply: Driver fitness!!