Sponsored by:

Fun NASA weekend at TWS

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Chris's car showed up this weekend at Cal Speedway. Apparently he recently sold the car to a So Cal racer who already owns an original 993 RSR and 993 Cup. Now he's got the fastest one....

Viking is that a 3.4 or 3.6?....
No kiddiing? Wow....he told me at the Glen that he was considering selling it to go in a different direction. I guess he moved fast! Maybe thhat's why he hasn't been here in a while.....

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-03-2009, 06:02 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Running GTS-3? so, you are in the 3200lbs range with 290rwhp?
Pretty good to be only 3 seconds off the older cup cars with that heavy of a car.

Looks like a cool track. 95degrees? sounds like thunderhill weather!

mk

Originally Posted by onefastviking
This one is a 3.6L.
Needless to say it has numerous mods but it has never even had the valve covers removed, it is NOT an X51, and it runs stock Porsche cats still !
I know I can make more power by changing up the exhaust, even more with an X51 or different cams and heads, but since we already have to run ballast for the class we are in it seems silly to add more power just to add more weight.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:06 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This one is a 3.6L.
Needless to say it has numerous mods but it has never even had the valve covers removed, it is NOT an X51, and it runs stock Porsche cats still !
I know I can make more power by changing up the exhaust, even more with an X51 or different cams and heads, but since we already have to run ballast for the class we are in it seems silly to add more power just to add more weight.
With a 3.6 you must be running 3200 lbs or so to keep it in GTS3. I'm building a 3.4 for our 996 Spec class and based on a friends 3.4 which dyno'd at 258, I could run about 2850 in GTS3. Figuring you must be around 290 RWHP so you'd have to carry almost 3200 lbs to make class. Is that about right?

Also, I heard rumor you were going to the Nationals at Miller. My friends 996 Spec will be there and you 2 would be very competitive together. I may have to consider it myself if you're going....

Mark I just saw your post. Obviously great minds think alike....
Old 08-03-2009, 06:12 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Running GTS-3? so, you are in the 3200lbs range with 290rwhp?
Pretty good to be only 3 seconds off the older cup cars with that heavy of a car.

Looks like a cool track. 95degrees? sounds like thunderhill weather!

mk
Hey Mark ! It's a car that I built and wrench on, someone else drives it.
It's alittle less than 3200 lbs (with driver), but does have some ballast in it, and is detuned less than 290 rwhp, but lets not get into the hp/tq thing again

We have and do consider running GTS4 all the time, but there are more cars in GTS3 and thats what the goal was when building it, so for right now that is where it will stay. Now once we get more than 4-5 GTS4 cars coming out to all the events we will be more tempted to change.

And TWS is a great track ! I personally like it better CCW, I find CCW more rewarding and challenging than CW. But thats just my personal opinion.

Oh, the cup car, and driver, have gone faster in the past although in this same race thats what they did. Fastest time I know of a 996 Cup going is a 42 but the weather was cool and near perfect that day !

Have a great day, talk to you later,

Last edited by onefastviking; 08-03-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Hey Mark ! It's a car that I built and wrench on, someone else drives it.
It's alittle less than 3200 lbs (with driver), but does have some ballast in it, and is detuned less than 290 rwhp, but lets not get into the hp/tq thing again

We have and do consider running GTS4 all the time, but there are more cars in GTS3 and thats what the goal was when building it, so for right now that is where it will stay. Now once we get more than 4-5 GTS4 cars coming out to all the events we will be more tempted to change.

And TWS is a great track ! I personally like it better CCW, I find CCW more rewarding and challenging than CW. But thats just my personal opinion.

Have a great day, talk to you later,
wow, that is scootin along. I remember putting a passenger in at Sears a couple of seasons ago, with 310rwhp and near that same weight, it took about 1.5 seconds of my lap time. I figure, i could have been on the edge of disaster for only 1 second off but that wouldnt have been nice.

Hey, HP to torque discussion is no problem if we just talk facts and values .
GTS rules already took some of the "facts" into account with their classing system. . I have more torque than HP now and you wont see me fighting the rules!
Old 08-03-2009, 06:43 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

See other post response to Mark. Also, the previous car was a 3.4L which put out 275 RWHP. This 3.6L has dyno'd over 300 but it is tuned back now to match the lighter weight.
Yes, we will be at Miller for sure and we would love to have all the competition we can.

With a 3.6 you must be running 3200 lbs or so to keep it in GTS3. I'm building a 3.4 for our 996 Spec class and based on a friends 3.4 which dyno'd at 258, I could run about 2850 in GTS3. Figuring you must be around 290 RWHP so you'd have to carry almost 3200 lbs to make class. Is that about right?

Also, I heard rumor you were going to the Nationals at Miller. My friends 996 Spec will be there and you 2 would be very competitive together. I may have to consider it myself if you're going....

Old 08-03-2009, 06:47 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Sounds like Carlos and his rig, might be in the same performance range, but a little lighter right now. (a bunch of bolt ons to a 3.4). I bet its a great car to drive.
Wish I could make it out to miller. sounds like a great time and some awesome competition, regardless of the classes.

mk

See other post response to Mark. Also, the previous car was a 3.4L which put out 275 RWHP. This 3.6L has dyno'd over 300 but it is tuned back now to match the lighter weight.
Yes, we will be at Miller for sure and we would love to have all the competition we can.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:01 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

The RSR he has been running is this car you are talking about? (He also had that real nice PCA C class 993 he was running for a long time?)

Who was at Cal Speedway this weekend?

Mk

Chris's car showed up this weekend at Cal Speedway. Apparently he recently sold the car to a So Cal racer who already owns an original 993 RSR and 993 Cup. Now he's got the fastest one....

Viking is that a 3.4 or 3.6?....
Old 08-03-2009, 07:23 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Sounds like Carlos and his rig, might be in the same performance range, but a little lighter right now. (a bunch of bolt ons to a 3.4). I bet its a great car to drive.
Wish I could make it out to miller. sounds like a great time and some awesome competition, regardless of the classes.

mk
Cool, it will be great to have some more 996's out there. Last year at Nationals all the fast guys seemed to be in BMW's. It should be a fun year at Miller, although it is a place we have never been so the challenge to learn the track fast will be an issue.

JR, you should bring your car also !
I have spoken some to the guys here in Texas starting up Spec 996 . I've given them some of my thoughts based on previous experiences into "Spec" racing. Let me know if you ever need some additional thoughts, I have built, maintained, and or raced cars in 3 other "Spec" classes so I have seen some things that work and some things that don't. I'm not an expert but I might be able to offer you some additional thoughts from my previous experience.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:39 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
How many people showed for GTS2? Fastest GTS2 lap?
4 cars started the weekend. 2 torsion bar 911s, my SPBOX with 100 lbs of ballast, and a BMW. We lost one of the 911s to a broken clutch fork in quali on Saturday so 3 cars most of the weekend.

My fast lap was a 2:03.0 durinig Friday practice. Best laps of the weekend were a 2:03.7 during Sunday quali and again durinig the first race on Sunday. I was on pace to do a sub 2:03 lap during the same race (TraqMate predicitive timer) but ran up on a disabled car and had to slow down. Just drove conservative 2:04s from then on as I had a big lead. Other guys were generally running 2:05s.

As Chad mentioned, I punctured a tire on the out lap of the 2nd race on Sunday and DNF'ed.

I am not very good at TWS, so if you are trying to determine the capability of the SPBOX it is significantly higher than where I ran. Didn't have the fastest tires on the car either. If we get Gladwill, Watkins, Plummer, or Walker out there expect that you'll need to go faster to beat them.

Quick Reply: Fun NASA weekend at TWS