Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where would my 3.4L 996 fit in SCCA club racing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:23 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where would my 3.4L 996 fit in SCCA club racing?

just glancing through the GCR, it might be GT2 but it also looks like cup cars can be in these classes.

anyone know?
Old 07-30-2009, 09:08 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have something similar as you know, and I was going to run it in ITE down here.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:10 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

hey john,

you POC guys need to run up some events up north

i know ITE, where everything goes. hmmm, i could be a mid packer but it is still racing.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:13 PM
JC3D
Pro

Why don't you come to Laguna Seca next month and run that thing as an EX. I am am running Speedventures and POC on Friday and there is racing on saturday and sunday.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:15 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JC3D
Why don't you come to Laguna Seca next month and run that thing as an EX. I am am running Speedventures and POC on Friday and there is racing on saturday and sunday.
how hard its it do get POC licensing?

what other cars are in EX? i would love to race at LS.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:22 PM
JC3D
Pro

I am not the one to answer that, Are you licensed with PRC? maybe someone here that is on the board can chime in. If not, speedventures has a run group as well all weekend.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:23 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

ah bad timing. i am getting my NASA licensing that weekend.

Originally Posted by JC3D
I am not the one to answer that, Are you licensed with PRC? maybe someone here that is on the board can chime in. If not, speedventures has a run group as well all weekend.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:07 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

Come on out and race with the PRC!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:47 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Come on out and race with the PRC!

that's why i am getting my NASA license
Old 07-31-2009, 03:14 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

you better come out with me and race ITE for the double regional event at sears or Laguna. ITE will be perfect for you . we will have a HUGE field for laguna with all the folks coming down with the NW porsche group.
Nasa will be boring for you. no real class that fits. PRC will be good, when they run, but with your mods to the car, you will be GT2. No chance of doing real well place wise unless you get that thing to run like a supercup car or RSR. . PRC is fun though . Ill run with them next season for sure and do a partial SCCA season.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:16 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Yes, GT3 cup cars are GT2 SCCA, but there is not too many of them running. mostly the panos, which you should do fine against. in ITE, its unlimited on DOTs and there is some great racing with some more relaxed class requirements. (i.e. no fuel cell required, etc)

mk

Originally Posted by karlooz
just glancing through the GCR, it might be GT2 but it also looks like cup cars can be in these classes.

anyone know?
Old 07-31-2009, 03:19 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I think nasa and SCCA are allowing licenses to be interchangeable. run with us and you dont have to worry about sound either. you should be just fine placewise, a big gaggle of cars are from 1:38 to 1:41, besides the two that are running speedGT front runner type cars up front.

mk

ah bad timing. i am getting my NASA licensing that weekend.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

carlos, you are way too late to get POC licensed. but you need to start NOW to get ready for next year as POC only comes up to LS once a year, i started three yrs ago and i shall have my p rovisional this year.

have fun at NASA and race PRC. i would be there except i want to mix it up with the BSR's at LS.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:21 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

how hard its it do get POC licensing?
what other cars are in EX? i would love to race at LS.
Ex is our version of ITE but your car would fit in one of racing classes depending on the build.

As for licensing, we really want new racers to participate in our semi-annual Racer's Clinic. The clinic is a weekend event with lots of track and classroom instruction focusing on safety and co-existing on the track . However, if you'e been racing for awhile and have at least 6 verifiable starts with a recogonized organization (SCCA, NASA) that supports a 13/13 rule, then we'll issue a Provisional License on a case-by-case basis. Starts must be verifiable (MyLaps) with a clean record, etc. Hell we let Mooty in but I'll be watching him like a hawk .....

If you're interested in Laguna and meet those requirements send me a PM and I'll work to get you through the system....

JRG
POC Director
Old 07-31-2009, 12:35 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

was thinking about ITE ...after seeing the TH times on mylaps, i'd be running top half. i just don't have the HP to keep up with that 'stang and NSX. might do it anyways. the class runs on DOTS right? i will have to get some big meats.
i'm doing NASA for PRC and the fact i can "supersize" to GTS4 for only 50 bucks more.
i am in gt3 with PRC...i only a have a 3.4L. you'd definitely be in GT2 because of your displacement. GT3, as well, for PCA-GGR as my performance index/wt is 595...within the 551 to 675 GT3 range.
Originally Posted by mark kibort
you better come out with me and race ITE for the double regional event at sears or Laguna. ITE will be perfect for you . we will have a HUGE field for laguna with all the folks coming down with the NW porsche group.
Nasa will be boring for you. no real class that fits. PRC will be good, when they run, but with your mods to the car, you will be GT2. No chance of doing real well place wise unless you get that thing to run like a supercup car or RSR. . PRC is fun though . Ill run with them next season for sure and do a partial SCCA season.
yes, i have heard the same. i just need 6~8 NASA races under my belt, i believe. no sound at LS would be awesome.
Originally Posted by mark kibort
I think nasa and SCCA are allowing licenses to be interchangeable. run with us and you dont have to worry about sound either. you should be just fine placewise, a big gaggle of cars are from 1:38 to 1:41, besides the two that are running speedGT front runner type cars up front.

mk
ech thought so. makes sense for you to do POC because of the healthy BSR field.
Originally Posted by mooty
carlos, you are way too late to get POC licensed. but you need to start NOW to get ready for next year as POC only comes up to LS once a year, i started three yrs ago and i shall have my p rovisional this year.

have fun at NASA and race PRC. i would be there except i want to mix it up with the BSR's at LS.
thx john. i will wait to get my full NASA license then check you guys out next year
watch out out for that Mooty fella
Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Ex is our version of ITE but your car would fit in one of racing classes depending on the build.

As for licensing, we really want new racers to participate in our semi-annual Racer's Clinic. The clinic is a weekend event with lots of track and classroom instruction focusing on safety and co-existing on the track . However, if you'e been racing for awhile and have at least 6 verifiable starts with a recogonized organization (SCCA, NASA) that supports a 13/13 rule, then we'll issue a Provisional License on a case-by-case basis. Starts must be verifiable (MyLaps) with a clean record, etc. Hell we let Mooty in but I'll be watching him like a hawk .....

If you're interested in Laguna and meet those requirements send me a PM and I'll work to get you through the system....

JRG
POC Director

Quick Reply: where would my 3.4L 996 fit in SCCA club racing?