Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where would my 3.4L 996 fit in SCCA club racing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:04 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Well you may be in luck.... We're talking to Garrett, the owner of GIAC, about putting one of these cars on his dyno and tuning it for fullrace gas, etc. That tune would then be available at any of his distributors for flashing. My shop has a close relationship with him and hopefully we can get this done in the near future and for a reasonable cost. Send me your e-address and I'll keep you in the loop.

PS: I may go to T-hill in Sept....
that's great news. let me know if i can help. i can trailer/ship my car down to GIAC or he can come to my dyno shop

seems like spec996 will allow a fair amount of mods for higher HP...so cost containment would be in suspension and tires?

would be great to see a contingent of socal drivers at TH. might not make BW in october....PRC races at infineon a week or two after.

BTW, POC runs Cal speedway a lot.... any oil starvation issues?
Old 08-01-2009, 01:06 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

hey john...i watched your Cal Speedway vid. any oil pressure/starvation issues on the high (and long) banking?

Originally Posted by JC3D
I have something similar as you know, and I was going to run it in ITE down here.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:45 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Carlos, I was looking around on the NASA site and looking up results. it seems the PRC guys make up the GTS group, but even that was unclear. Is that site confusing or what? what about ST1, ST2, and the other HP/weight classes? do porsches run i them? Its been a few years since Ive run a race with the NASA folks.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:46 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Carlos, I was looking around on the NASA site and looking up results. it seems the PRC guys make up the GTS group, but even that was unclear. Is that site confusing or what? what about ST1, ST2, and the other HP/weight classes? do porsches run i them? Its been a few years since Ive run a race with the NASA folks.
i was doing the same. i wonder when nasa allows PRC to supersize to GTS then the fields are much bigger. when not allowed then there is no field. for example...last race at infineon there was only 1 car in GTS2... thats' it. there was no supersizing allowed for that event. go back a couple of months to thunderhill in april. PRC drivers were allowed to supersize to GTS and the turn out was much better...16 gts cars on grid, only one bimmer. now this is just a theory of mine. i should talk to some of the PRC folk who ran in GTS and confirm if my hunch was right.

where are all the bimmer folk? only 2 bimmers in NorCal GTS (stammer ad ford)

looks like racing is good with less expensive cars in PTE, honda challenge...

only one car in super touring. barren wasteland.

oh well. i will just get some NASA races under my belt then focus on PCA and hope that GTS takes off...will do ITE and NCRC fun racing as well. with pca, the playing field is somewhat leveled, they use a performance index to weight system.... better for me. with PRC, they use the old pca rules (displacement classing) and that puts me with 2000 lbs 3.4L cars...no so good for me but ech, whatever. i should just stop whining and deal with it.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:30 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by karlooz
hey john...i watched your Cal Speedway vid. any oil pressure/starvation issues on the high (and long) banking?
here were only 2 cars running laast year and they both use the X51 oil pans. No issues so far but I'm going to add a Accusump to mine along with the GT3 cup 2-chamber oil/air seperator.....
Old 08-02-2009, 04:41 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

By the way, if I read your post correctly, you think you'd be in GT3 with the PRC. That is very likely incorrect if I understand your race car's prep level. You'd probably be in GTA in the PRC's 2009 Class structure:

PRC-GTA
Equivalent to PCA Club Racing Classes GTA, GTB, GTP1-GTP6 and GTC4. All PRC-GTA Class cars must meet the weight requirements specified in the PCA Club Racing Rules.

You'd have to meet the weight requirements, but if you did, your car would probably be in GTA in the PRC. You can peruse Mylaps to learn about past PRC GTA-class competitors (likely mostly R/RS/RSR cars and 997-based Cups as opposed to developed street cars), but don't assume that everyone has always classed their factory cars correctly at PRC events.

- Mike
Old 08-02-2009, 01:10 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

mike, now there's the rub. i assumed that i would be in PRC gt3 due to displacement, the fact that my engine is boxster based (it is not gt3 based), and that chris murray's 3.4L boxster is classed in gt3. i guess his car is classed incorrectly?

this is very bad classing structure for my car if it truly is in GTA. my boxster based 280wHP vs. 380wHP cups/R/RS/RSR. really?

with PCA, my water cooled engine and chassis can be in GTB or GT3, depending on level of prep, but is beyond GTB as i am underweight and have a non stock bumper, so i will run in GT3. i don't see why my car cannot be in PRC-3 ...your rules do not specifically state my chassis and engine are not allowed

"PRC-3
Similar to PCA Club Racing Classes GT-3R and GT-3S. Includes all normally-aspirated cars having engines with over 2.808 and up to 3.4 liters of actual displacement.....Unlike the PCA ClubRacing Classes GT-3R and GT-3S, there are no weight restrictions."

my car fits the bill, no?

looking at the times on mylaps, i understand i wont be a front runner but i can have fun at the back half of the class. at it's current state, my car is a potential 1:58 at TH. later, when i upgrade the wheels to 11x13 (like every other PRC3 car has) it can be a 1:55~6

you've replied to my post on the PRC forum and shot down the idea of PRC adopting current PCA rules. hey, that's fine, it is your club. all i wanted to know if there was some sort of equalling between different cars. i accepted it and wanted to run in PRC-3. now you tell me i can't run in PRC-3 because......?

do my ramblings make any sense?

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
By the way, if I read your post correctly, you think you'd be in GT3 with the PRC. That is very likely incorrect if I understand your race car's prep level. You'd probably be in GTA in the PRC's 2009 Class structure:

PRC-GTA
Equivalent to PCA Club Racing Classes GTA, GTB, GTP1-GTP6 and GTC4. All PRC-GTA Class cars must meet the weight requirements specified in the PCA Club Racing Rules.

You'd have to meet the weight requirements, but if you did, your car would probably be in GTA in the PRC. You can peruse Mylaps to learn about past PRC GTA-class competitors (likely mostly R/RS/RSR cars and 997-based Cups as opposed to developed street cars), but don't assume that everyone has always classed their factory cars correctly at PRC events.

- Mike
Old 08-02-2009, 03:40 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

last I ran with PRC, the rules were loosely PCA, in that a GT2 car would be PRC GT-2. Have things changed. It was based on displacement only. maybe mike thinks you have a cup car or something. then, in PCA, any mods other than GTC-x would be GTA, where the wCgt porsches run and RSRs.

you think that car is going to be a 1:58 at thunderhill? wow. where is it now. I thought you were just behind your GT3 buddies where they were at 1:59-2:00 now.

Are you going to do the end of August race at T-hill with NCRC? I think I might be instructing that weekend again and might bring my car out there.

Tell me about your " Boxter" based engine. Is it because the 3.4 was the first motor the 996 came out with and you are using that, or did you do a boxter engien transplant . I dont know much about the differences. I forgot when the 996 went to 3.6 liter. anyway, I think you are right. you are GT-2 based on the rules, just as my rig is GT2 based on displacement only.

Mark

mike, now there's the rub. i assumed that i would be in PRC gt3 due to displacement, the fact that my engine is boxster based (it is not gt3 based), and that chris murray's 3.4L boxster is classed in gt3. i guess his car is classed incorrectly?

this is very bad classing structure for my car if it truly is in GTA. my boxster based 280wHP vs. 380wHP cups/R/RS/RSR. really?

with PCA, my water cooled engine and chassis can be in GTB or GT3, depending on level of prep, but is beyond GTB as i am underweight and have a non stock bumper, so i will run in GT3. i don't see why my car cannot be in PRC-3 ...your rules do not specifically state my chassis and engine are not allowed

"PRC-3
Similar to PCA Club Racing Classes GT-3R and GT-3S. Includes all normally-aspirated cars having engines with over 2.808 and up to 3.4 liters of actual displacement.....Unlike the PCA ClubRacing Classes GT-3R and GT-3S, there are no weight restrictions."

my car fits the bill, no?

looking at the times on mylaps, i understand i wont be a front runner but i can have fun at the back half of the class. at it's current state, my car is a potential 1:58 at TH. later, when i upgrade the wheels to 11x13 (like every other PRC3 car has) it can be a 1:55~6

you've replied to my post on the PRC forum and shot down the idea of PRC adopting current PCA rules. hey, that's fine, it is your club. all i wanted to know if there was some sort of equalling between different cars. i accepted it and wanted to run in PRC-3. now you tell me i can't run in PRC-3 because......?

do my ramblings make any sense?
Old 08-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

As I stated, I do not know the complete configuration of your car. Chris' car is a Boxster, and he classed it in GT3 in the past based on former rules.

If you have a Boxster engine in a 996 chassis, it appears to me that PCA's performance index tables allow you to be in a GT class other than GTA/GTB. The PRC does not have performance index tables... we use GTA as a catch-all across a number of PCA GT classes. This includes 996-chassis race cars.

If we were to adopt the PCA structure, what class would your car be in? GT4? With whom would you race? We only have a few GT4 cars that occasionally run with us. If you were in GT4 class all by yourself, would would be the point? We might not give out a trophy each day for a single car class. So what are you trying to achieve?

I do not make the rules for PRC. We have a rules committee that takes input as you know. I think the proposal is really clear... what we need now is for folks to make arguments in favor or against.

I personally don't think the argument that "my car is between classes," carries a lot of weight, as the classes have been stable for a long time, so folks can develop with a reasonable plan.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are a lot of in-between cars out in the world, but rules stability dictates that care be taken when it comes to restructuring... the greater good must be considered.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:56 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

i've run 2:00 over the top. it is estimated by my shop that it can do 1:58s. with bigger tires and wheels then who knows.

Originally Posted by mark kibort
last I ran with PRC, the rules were loosely PCA, in that a GT2 car would be PRC GT-2. Have things changed. It was based on displacement only. maybe mike thinks you have a cup car or something. then, in PCA, any mods other than GTC-x would be GTA, where the wCgt porsches run and RSRs.

you think that car is going to be a 1:58 at thunderhill? wow. where is it now. I thought you were just behind your GT3 buddies where they were at 1:59-2:00 now.

Are you going to do the end of August race at T-hill with NCRC? I think I might be instructing that weekend again and might bring my car out there.

Tell me about your " Boxter" based engine. Is it because the 3.4 was the first motor the 996 came out with and you are using that, or did you do a boxter engien transplant . I dont know much about the differences. I forgot when the 996 went to 3.6 liter. anyway, I think you are right. you are GT-2 based on the rules, just as my rig is GT2 based on displacement only.

Mark

mike, my 996 c2's engine is based on the boxster design, not the gt3 design. chris' car is a boxster with a carrera engine. if it's all about the engine then my car should be allowed to run in PRC3. IMHO

if PRC adopts PCA rules then i would be in PRC3. some that are in PRC3 would be in PRC4. those who are in PRC2 can add ballast and go to PRC3. PRC4 can also greatly benefit from the rules shift...the only casualty i see is the GT2 field but there are only 2~3 cars in it.

i have replied to the PRC forum thread i started, i apologize for not replying sooner.

i am in between classes. there is a huge disparity between those 2000 lb 3.4L cars in gt3 and my 2735 lb 3.4L car. when it was heavier, i could have raced it in GT4 but because of the displacement rule i was forced to GT3. i am just wondering if there are others that are also in favor for PARITY. it looks like there are those in PRC who are also in favour.

discussion is good for the club. has anyone proposed adopting PCA rules? in the end, will it be a democratic vote?

cheers,
carlos

As I stated, I do not know the complete configuration of your car. Chris' car is a Boxster, and he classed it in GT3 in the past based on former rules.

If you have a Boxster engine in a 996 chassis, it appears to me that PCA's performance index tables allow you to be in a GT class other than GTA/GTB. The PRC does not have performance index tables... we use GTA as a catch-all across a number of PCA GT classes. This includes 996-chassis race cars.

If we were to adopt the PCA structure, what class would your car be in? GT4? With whom would you race? We only have a few GT4 cars that occasionally run with us. If you were in GT4 class all by yourself, would would be the point? We might not give out a trophy each day for a single car class. So what are you trying to achieve?

I do not make the rules for PRC. We have a rules committee that takes input as you know. I think the proposal is really clear... what we need now is for folks to make arguments in favor or against.

I personally don't think the argument that "my car is between classes," carries a lot of weight, as the classes have been stable for a long time, so folks can develop with a reasonable plan.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are a lot of in-between cars out in the world, but rules stability dictates that care be taken when it comes to restructuring... the greater good must be considered.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

In the end the rules committee will decide, based on input/feedback. You have me confused. If your car is a 996 production car that has a modified 996 production engine, then in PCA it is GTA or GTB. Likely GTA. It would be in GTA with the PRC if it is in GTA or B with PCA.

Have you read the rules carefully? It doesn't matter what the design was based on, it matters what kind of car the engine came out of. Now if it is a hodgepodge of parts/one of, then you'd have to check with PCA on class and your PRC class would depend on that process.

Now if it has an engine from a 986 car, PCA has a special case in their GT classes. They have an index or performance for a 986 motor in any chassis. I am confused about how you have described your engine.

I don't think we need any more GT1-4 cars in specific groups. Nor 911 "Spec" or GTL for that matter. What I think we need/want is more like-minded drivers and well prepped Porsche racing cars so we can have more fun... this goes for the paddock culture as well.

At any given event there could be any number of cars in any of our classes. We don't control that in any way, nor manage it. Nor does PCA as far as I know. You have to be careful when considering how many cars of what type are showing up at which events. I think the most you can say about recent PRC events is that a fair number of 911 "Spec" are typically showing up. Likely the highest average if you do math on the data. GT2 and GT3 ebb and flow, and GT1 and GT4 would likely be tails on the Gaussian. We aren't trying to achieve a specific curve shape.

There is no parity in racing as far as I know. What has been proposed does not create parity.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:10 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carlos, did you crew with Team ARE at Daytona24 back in 1999 ?

i've run 2:00 over the top. it is estimated by my shop that it can do 1:58s. with bigger tires and wheels then who knows.

mike, my 996 c2's engine is based on the boxster design, not the gt3 design. chris' car is a boxster with a carrera engine. if it's all about the engine then my car should be allowed to run in PRC3. IMHO

if PRC adopts PCA rules then i would be in PRC3. some that are in PRC3 would be in PRC4. those who are in PRC2 can add ballast and go to PRC3. PRC4 can also greatly benefit from the rules shift...the only casualty i see is the GT2 field but there are only 2~3 cars in it.

i have replied to the PRC forum thread i started, i apologize for not replying sooner.

i am in between classes. there is a huge disparity between those 2000 lb 3.4L cars in gt3 and my 2735 lb 3.4L car. when it was heavier, i could have raced it in GT4 but because of the displacement rule i was forced to GT3. i am just wondering if there are others that are also in favor for PARITY. it looks like there are those in PRC who are also in favour.

discussion is good for the club. has anyone proposed adopting PCA rules? in the end, will it be a democratic vote?

cheers,
carlos
Old 08-03-2009, 01:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior

PS: I may go to T-hill in Sept....
huh??? what is MAYBE?
just show up.

it's not flat like BW and it has blind turns ;-)
Old 08-03-2009, 01:35 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If your car is a 996 production car that has a modified 996 production engine, then in PCA it is GTA or GTB. Likely GTA. It would be in GTA with the PRC if it is in GTA or B with PCA.
God knows why, but I feel compelled to try and clarify the PCA rules on a Sunday night after a fairly unremarkable bottle of cabernet.....

No matter what Carlos has done to his car he will never be a GTA car under PCA rules. That designation is reserved strictly for factory race cars, not highy modified production cars.

Carlos has a 99' 996 with a 3.4 motor which is the motor they came with in 99' to 01'. Yes he called it a "Boxster Motor" which is a term that refers to the type of motor not which car it came in. All water cooled 996 and 986 motors are "Boxster Motors". All GT3 motors, whether street or cup cars, are dry sump GT1 based motors....

So, his car model could run as a GTB car at 2750 lbs. if the rest of the car conformed to those specification which it does not. He can however, run in their GT classes based on motor size, type, and weight. Under those parameters, he would be a GT3(S or R) car. The water cooled 986 type motor (yes that's a 996 too)= a index of 135. So by their formula, 3.4 x 135 = 459. His weight of 2735/459 = 5.95 which is in the middle of the GT3 range (551-675).

As I read the PRC regs, he would therefore also be a PRC3 car per the PRC3 description on the bottom of page 6 of the 2009 PRC regulations.....
Old 08-03-2009, 01:51 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

I did not know that 996 and 986 cars had "986-based motors." I based my comments on this language from the PCA rules:

Class GTA
996 or later factory race cars with normally-aspirated motors and other 996/997-based cars not meeting the requirements
of the Stock, Prepared or GTC Classes. Tires are free.

In any case, his car, as I understand it, would probably not be competitive with top-of-class GTA, GT3 or GT4 cars that have in the past 7 years run with PRC.

Quick Reply: where would my 3.4L 996 fit in SCCA club racing?