Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety Solutions Hybrid Pro vs. Hans

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009 | 06:12 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Default Safety Solutions Hybrid Pro vs. Hans

I am in the market to buy a head neck restraint system. A few people who I have talked to think highly of the Hybrid system becuase is provides better protection during off center impacts and second impacts if your belts get knocked off or come lose off the Hans.
Just looking for some opinions on the topic. I did do a search and found some discussion. Comments?

Safety Solutions Hybrid Pro - Head neck system

http://www.usracegear.com/product/SS-ProRa
Old 07-23-2009 | 06:33 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

I think if your belts get knocked off or come loose you have some bigger problems at hand.
Old 07-24-2009 | 10:13 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

I think if your belts get knocked off or come loose you have some bigger problems at hand.
Wise you are, my young padawan!
Old 07-24-2009 | 05:09 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
...and, most people do not realize that if you lose your belts your body and your head are decelerating at the same rate. Therefore, your head loads are zero and you do not need a head and neck restraint.

The #1 job of a head and neck restraint is to keep your shoulder belts where they belong.
Old 07-24-2009 | 05:22 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Hans for me, it is just a perfect simple design that does not require Mistress Zelda's straps and gizmos. Easy to use = very likely to use it.
Old 07-24-2009 | 09:00 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbaker
...and, most people do not realize that if you lose your belts your body and your head are decelerating at the same rate. Therefore, your head loads are zero and you do not need a head and neck restraint.

The #1 job of a head and neck restraint is to keep your shoulder belts where they belong.
Well slap my *** and call me Sally I though it was to keep your head from pulling away from your body. You would think they would have figured out belts by now.
Old 07-24-2009 | 09:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

H&N restraints, oil viscosity, tow vehicles....there is just NEVER enough popcorn for the classics

Old 07-25-2009 | 09:49 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kurt M
Well slap my *** and call me Sally I though it was to keep your head from pulling away from your body. You would think they would have figured out belts by now.
Well, Sally, since they have apparently not figured that out by now, the burden falls on the H&N restraint.
Old 07-25-2009 | 10:21 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

I'm certainly no expert (nor an engineer for that matter) but if the best engineers (F-1) use it in their teams it's good enough for me
Old 07-25-2009 | 12:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by smlporsche
I'm certainly no expert (nor an engineer for that matter) but if the best engineers (F-1) use it in their teams it's good enough for me
I believe they use it since it is the only H&N restraint specified by the FIA.
The spec was written around the HANS device, hence it is the only device used.
The spec is interesting to read.
Old 07-25-2009 | 09:25 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by smlporsche
If you drove a car that was built like an F1 car then you'd be making a good decision. Since you aren't I'd think more about it than following the F1 herd.

Remember that the F1 driver is in a carbon tub with custom fit impact material for seating, formed and extended lateral head restraints, and belts which have very close moutning point. None of those exist in unison in any racecar run by most people on here.
Old 07-26-2009 | 07:38 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbaker
Well, Sally, since they have apparently not figured that out by now, the burden falls on the H&N restraint.
Interesting avenue for discussion and learning.

what is not figured out? Is it the seats inability to contain the body's movement that lets the belts slip off?

Last edited by kurt M; 07-27-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-26-2009 | 11:03 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have you considered a DefNder?

here's a thread on it...https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...straint-2.html
Old 07-27-2009 | 10:51 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kurt M
...Is it the seats inability to contain the body's movement that lets the belts slip off?
Yes. It would be more accurate to say that the shoulder slides out from under the belt. One can address the problem by providing lateral support of the upper body via the seat, but that gets tricky in racing where the driver uses a lot of arm movement, e.g. dirt sprint car racing. Connecting the H&N restraint to the belt works in all cases.

The interaction between the belts and head loads is very interesting, and shows up in H&N restraint testing when the baseline is established, i.e. there is no H&N restraint (how weird is that, eh?). The original 50G tests at Wayne State use a LaJoie Seat with lateral support at the shoulders:

The 70G Delphi sled used for SFI & RSI testing has no shoulder support. As one might expect, the belts stay on the WSU dummy, but slide off the Delphi dummy. (There is only one test series showing the belts staying on the Delphi dummy, but that's another thread.)

With respect to the subject at hand, here's the interesting part: When no H&N restraint is used, the 50G sled at WSU generates higher head loads than the 70G sled at Delphi. Why? Because the belts stay on at WSU.

If you lose the belts you don't need a H&N restraint.
Old 07-27-2009 | 01:47 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

And you need less H&N if you are not wearing a helmet too. I think helmets and belts are here to stay and I want mine to work well together. What happens if the mid torso moves out of the seat but the upper portion does not? That is the belts stay put but the ribcage is unrestrained as it is with many seats in even a slight offset? Does the body deform in unwanted ways or does it just form the "C" shape?

Quick Reply: Safety Solutions Hybrid Pro vs. Hans