Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Destroyed Michelin Cups in 1 DE... are they right for dual purpose car?

Old 07-17-2009, 11:55 AM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shannon:

Could it be that at least a small portion of you spin problem has to do with suspension alignment?

You may think about calling all of these guys in and around Cincinnati for advice:

Bill Brocksick did my alignment and corner balance one year ago in March. Since then I have driven twice to Mid Ohio and twice to Putnam plus 1000's of street miles on the NT 01's. Bill has been doing suspension mods and alignments on porsches for 30 + years.

Wright team finished third at 24 hours of Daytona earlier this spring.
Generally speaking, with such few miles on new tires, your rear tires should not show much more tread ware than the front. Perhaps 2/32" at most. And it has nothing to do with driving to the track on R compound tires.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:28 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sig_a
Shannon:

Could it be that at least a small portion of you spin problem has to do with suspension alignment?
Hey Sig, thanks for the info and the input. The car seemed to be handling very well in general. The spins were definitely driver error issues (one from my friend, one from me).

I did have the car aligned just before going to the track. I've got the computer print out and I trust the shop. So I'm sure that I'm even side-to-side. But I don't have nearly as much neg. camber as y'all are indicating I should.

I'm going back next week to get the situation re-evaluated and decide on new tires. The MPSCs are going out of stock so I may be stuck getting something else.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I agree with Larry.
+1

I have used about 6 sets of MPSC's on my 986 and I have never seen wear like that on my tires. FWIW, I drive my car to and from the track on the MPSC's and I utilize fairly mild (for the track) alignment settings so I don't eat my street tires.

I generally get about 6-8 track days out of a set on MPSC's

Last edited by Ray S; 07-17-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:33 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Any chance you have pyrometer data from those tires?

Depending on how hard you drive you may find that you get more grip out of something else with a car that weighs what yours does (not as heavy as a GT3 for instance). I found the MPSC worked great on heavier cars where it was easy to get them up to temp. Tom is right, you have to get them really hot.

Get Nittos or R888's or something that require less camber and you can drive to the track on them. Normally I would say RA-1. They were the perfect tire for drive-to-track type cars. Too bad they are gone. ;-(.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
OK, I'll talk to the alignment guys and see if more camber is realistic. -2.5 and -3 sound a bit much for dual purpose. No? I don't drive on the street much, but it does go to and from the track and occasional day-long outings.
I have -2.5 & -2.9 on my 993 and it's fine. Obviously the inside wear more when on street but then at track, you'll wear them pretty evenly.

As already said, crank more camber and you should be fine, pyrometer is a good way to find out what the tires are going through when at track.

Oh, and less spinning always helps too!
Old 07-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren
Wow Larry, you're like a God here
I just have a lot of experience and have a good understanding of the subject. I also don't make "expert commentary" on things that I do not have first hand knowledge of. I am under-appreciated at Riesentoter.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:43 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Why do you say that? The inside edges of your tires are positively virginal.

Unless you put a lot of street miles on your car and are tearing up your streets, the few hundred driving to the track on your track tires does not mean much. I'd set the front for -2.5 and the back for -3 degrees.
+1. There is no reason for your expensive "Cups" to have such uneven wear. Fix your alignment.

I actually had a similar problem many moons ago [cording the outside of my track tires due to lack of negative camber]. My first solution to saving my "expensive" track tires was to set up my car at -2.0 F and -2.5 R. Then I got a cheap set of street rims and ran Sumitomo tires until track days. Ultimately, I stored my track wheels at the track and just drove my cheapo streets to-from. Actually, I still do that!

And you can definitely get a backup set of rims for less than $700.

-td
Old 07-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I am under-appreciated at Riesentoter.

Don't say that!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:00 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

Besides a possible alignment issue, I think any tire would be rendered useless after a flat spot like that, whether you got to the cords or not. The vibration alone would make the car undrivable.

Like others have said. Don't do that!
Old 07-17-2009, 04:07 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren
Wow! Stop spinning!!!
If those were the Hoosiers we ran several years ago, you would see AIR where those belts are.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:24 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on the mods made, you *could* have trouble getting the camber you need. Short of camber plates or a good come-along to the shock towers, my SC couldn't get enough negative camber with otherwise stock like components. I too would wear out the outside edges of the fronts, luckily they wore at about the same rate as the sliding rears would

Also, it sounds like the small amounts of street driving you do would impact the tires very little. Excessive TOE setting (ideally a bit of toe-out in front) will likely kill your tires faster than the negative camber amounts being discussed here).
Old 07-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
OK, I'll talk to the alignment guys and see if more camber is realistic. -2.5 and -3 sound a bit much for dual purpose. No?
No. I ran 3-3.5 on my 964 that saw plenty of street time. You are basically trading street wear for track wear, but you would be surprised that your wear is actually not that bad with a more aggressive setup. Also try Nitto NT01's. They are a greap r comp that wears better than most others.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:46 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NT-01's are a great suggestion, they last for a long time.

But look how much of the contact patch you are NOT USING!!!! This can be a contributing factor to your spins because during cornering, instead of using (for example) 10 inch wide wheel you might as well be using a 6.5 inch wide wheel.

If you aren't using that part of the tire, it will wear prematurely no matter what kind of tire it is. Some other tires may last longer, but you are only masking the problem, not fixing it. Street tires will take a lot more abuse though, so if you can't get more camber, I would say your car is street tire only.

If it is your home track, move to streets for now.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:24 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by himself
+1. There is no reason for your expensive "Cups" to have such uneven wear. Fix your alignment.
-td
To clarify: The tires DO NOT have uneven wear. They are worn evenly. There is ONE spot shown in the picture that is worn and corded. It was from a spin.

The tires did not fail because of alignment. The "defect" is focal, not concentric. I'm sorry I didn't make this more clear in the original post.

I appreciate the input about MPSCs and alignment. I was not aware of the importance camber might play with this particular tire (or R cmpds). It will factor into my decision about buying them again.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:36 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wanna911
NT-01's are a great suggestion, they last for a long time.

But look how much of the contact patch you are NOT USING!!!! This can be a contributing factor to your spins because during cornering, instead of using (for example) 10 inch wide wheel you might as well be using a 6.5 inch wide wheel.

If you aren't using that part of the tire, it will wear prematurely no matter what kind of tire it is. Some other tires may last longer, but you are only masking the problem, not fixing it. Street tires will take a lot more abuse though, so if you can't get more camber, I would say your car is street tire only.

If it is your home track, move to streets for now.
I understand what you're saying. But these tires had essentially 1 drive to the track and 1 day on the track. So the LACK of wear you see on the inside may simply be from low miles rather than lack of neg. camber.

The spins were not a setup problem, they were pure and simple driver errors. The car handled beautifully before the tire damage. But wow are you right about it being undriveable after. The vibration made it unsettle to the point I couldn't judge the "feel" of the car anymore.

Not my home track. This track has abrasive pavement. My home is Midohio and it's smoother. I have 3 DE left this year: MidOhio and two at Bluegrass (I hope).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Destroyed Michelin Cups in 1 DE... are they right for dual purpose car?