Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing the Bladder on a Fuel Safe Cell?

Old 07-05-2009, 02:12 AM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Changing the Bladder on a Fuel Safe Cell?

I have the Fuel Safe SA102 cell in my RS America race car. The cell and bladder are approximately 10 years old. In order to qualify for a NASA log book the CCR states the bladder must be changed every 5 years. None of the paper work that came with the car indicates that the bladder has ever been changed, so it's my undertaking. Has anyone completed this? Any input on cost and what's involved would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JF

Last edited by 993PET; 07-05-2009 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The cost of a new bladder for the SA102 is roughly $2k and it is close to the price of a new cell. To change it you must remove the cell from the car, remove the plate on the bottom of the cell where the fuel lines come through, if you have the remote filler plate, that will need to be removed, and you'll need to remove the filler plate. Then on the top of the fuel cell container is a large plate that is held in with phillips head screws, remove that and the bladder will come out.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never seen a scruitineer check for a fuel cell dates. Ever.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:37 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
I've never seen a scruitineer check for a fuel cell dates. Ever.
Having said that...

Have you ever seen a bladder "wear out?"
Old 07-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Yes I have. The bladder becomes hard and cracks causing leaks through the bladder fabric into the can. The fuel cell is an integeral part of the crash system and an older blader, even if it appears to be good, may be compromized in a severe impact and may not be able to hold the fuel in. Fortunately, the location of a 964/993 fuel cell is in a pretty safe location.

The manufacture date of the fuel cell is printed on the fuel cell bladder and is under the large plate on the SA102 cell.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the bladder replaced in my Fuel Safe SA100 and I am glad I did. Mine was 8 years old and had developed a couple of small holes / cracks that were beginning to leak. The replacement bladder with internal surge tank cost me $1,500 as opposed to buying a new SA100 which would have cost me somewhere around $2,000 to $2,500 from what I found when searching various dealers.

While my cell was at Fuel Safe, I had them build a remote fill plate (with fitting for an external discriminator valve) because I am converting to a dry break fill system (the 2 1/4" "Red Head" system).

When you have your bladder replaced, it receives a new 5 year certification with an option to send it back to Fuel Safe after 5 years to have it inspected. If it passes the inspection, then you get an additional 2 to 3 year extension. So . . . I am hoping my new bladder will pass its inspection in 5 years and, therefore, the expense associated with the bladder replacement will have lasted 7 years (or maybe 8? . . . I can't remember as I type this).

Jeff
Old 07-05-2009, 02:49 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I can't believe NASA's new rule. I would think they might be more concerned with cars with stock fuel tanks in stock locations that might be 40 years old. It seems odd to me that someone would go through the expense of adding a fuel cell and then be required to replace the bladder every five years and a stock tank could be 40 years old but that's okay. Makes no sense to me.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Having said that...

I just replaced on in my SRF that was 8 years old and had leaks at the seams. I've also see ones that were 15 years old and looked and felt brand new.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:30 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for your replys.

Geoffrey:

As always you are a wealth of knowledge and BTW it was great to meet you at WG 2 weeks ago. It sounds from what you say that it's almost simpler to replace the entire cell?

Joe:

This rule requirement is new from NASA this year to obtain a new log book, so I don't have any choice.

JF
Old 07-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I think SCCA has the same 5 year old rule too.

JF, it was good also to meet you at WGI. There is no reason to spend the extra money on an entire cell if you can replace just the bladder. The SA102 is a very complex shape which is why it costs so much.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by 993PET
Thanks for your replys.

Geoffrey:

As always you are a wealth of knowledge and BTW it was great to meet you at WG 2 weeks ago. It sounds from what you say that it's almost simpler to replace the entire cell?

Joe:

This rule requirement is new from NASA this year to obtain a new log book, so I don't have any choice.

JF

Ahhh good to know.

Also one other tip if you are replacing it. They padding most fuel cell companies ship with is the foam they use in the cells. Pack it away in a box, sealed in a garbage bag. You never know when you'll need it but it is REALLY nice to have on hand.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:41 PM
GTP993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I may suggest, use baby powder on the outside of the bladder and on the inside of the aluminium cell for easier installation.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:22 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by GTP993
If I may suggest, use baby powder on the outside of the bladder and on the inside of the aluminium cell for easier installation.
A big ole plus 1 on that !

Typical replacement on cells is five year, be it FT3, FT3.5 or FT5. That said, many wont replace cells until they leak.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:47 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
I just replaced on in my SRF that was 8 years old and had leaks at the seams. I've also see ones that were 15 years old and looked and felt brand new.
No kidding?

I thought there was more to the story. Thanks for filling in the cracks... as it were. To add fuel to this discussion, I saw a liner where the rubberization was turning gooey. That would have been an interesting fuel additive.

It has always seemed madeningly incongruous to me that groups such as NASA will allow a 944 with either a steel (early) or Plastic (late) stock fuel tank, but a cell with a molded polyethelene plastic "liner" and a steel/alloy "can" is not legal. How can either by itself be preferable to BOTH put together?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I think a lot has to do with location and OEM crash testing. As with many "standards" whether or not they make sense, at least they are a known quantity. So, allowing a stock 944 tank means that it will be in the stock location which is a known quantity and tested to pass certain governmental crash testing. An aftermarket cell might not fit in the factory location due to the size and shape and would be required to be installed in the trunk area which is more vulnerable in an impact.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing the Bladder on a Fuel Safe Cell?