Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Update: Ding-Dong the Witch is Dead!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:14 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL, So we go from one ego-******** (not a typo) maniac to 12??? Hmmmm, too bad these guys don't pay attention to Indy and CART and how well that went down.... I do really like the prospect of new teams entering the series but not to the detriment of the series...... The FIA needs to stop making sweeping whimisical rules changes. Lose the politics and let the cars and drivers decide who wins. Formula one represents the pinnacle of automotive technology, you can't put a cap on that. Perhaps Max should start a new series with cost caps and call it a day.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:31 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see an ex driver at the head of the FIA and not Stewart , he has no teeth , maybe Gerhard , Patrese or someone with more Business acumen and far less mercurial than our current clown , or Briatore ! while not a driver , he would work very well ...

Yes Briatore for head of the FIA ....

PS : Amigos not MS , he was part of the problem , so please no MS .....
Old 06-29-2009, 05:22 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 224 Posts

"After Mosely, I prefer Kimi Raikkonen. No one can understand what he just said, so how bad could he be?"

Now THAT was funny.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:35 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,1895...404493,00.html
Old 06-29-2009, 05:48 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Max: I'm under pressure to stand for re-election

I think he misread the statements from around the world.
They want him to stand on the tracks in front of a fast moving train.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Considering that the American Automobile Association (AAA) is under the FIA umbrella, I can see why Max would make a statement like that.

The FIA is quickly becoming the U.N. of Motorsports.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by butzip
LOL, So we go from one ego-******** (not a typo) maniac to 12??? Hmmmm, too bad these guys don't pay attention to Indy and CART and how well that went down....
Actually, for those who really know their motorsports history, the CART split from USAC Champ Cars (Champ Cars were originally a USAC term) in 1979 was a roaring success to the extent that the only USAC race was the Indy 500 for about 20 years.

CART was formed by the owners who wanted a better say in how the series was run and how the money was distributed. Sound familiar? CART only failed because ultimately the Indy 500 was the Keystone to US open wheel racing and Tony George spent GOBS of family money to take CART down.

Ironically, while he accomplished this, he was VERY nearly sacked from the board of his family company because of the money he's wasted. I suspect his family would have been happier to have had CART spend money everywhere else and continued a cordial relationship with CART.

I personally think that FOTA could be successful. The teams left committed to F1 are pretty much a joke and F1 has no real must have race like the Indy 500. One could argue the Monaco GP is that keystone race, but I tihnk not. It's just not as important to F1 as the Indy 500 is to open wheel racing in the US.

The other interesting thing in all of this is that Ferrari has sided with FOTA. Traditionally they always sided with the FIA. Going back in history, Ferrari initially sided with FOCA (Formula One Constructors Association) in the fight with FISA (now defunt sporting arm of the FIA). Ferrrari switched alliances and FOCA lost some clout. Interestingly enough Bernie became the head of FOCA and probably now owns the name and organization (even though it's technically defunct). Ferrari had initially sided with GPMA a few years back when a similar row occurred and Ferrari broke ranks once again (their back room deal) and that ultimately took down GPMA. I think Ferrari is FIRMLY in the FOTA camp now though. Ferrari is more important to F1 than any particular race, so IMHO FOTA has the upper hand.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:35 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,928 Posts

I wonder if this Spanards tune would change if Alonso is named as a Ferrari driver at Monza as has been rumored. It's guys like this that give Max the will to go on. BTW, the Spanish Automobile Association backed Max in this fiasco.

Every once in a while they hold a race between the politics in F1.

'Only a mad Max would advise Todt'
02 July 2009

FIA president Max Mosley would have to be 'mad' to suggest Jean Todt as a future possibility for the job, according to Carlos Gracia. The head of the Spanish Automobile Association believes that Todt, as a former member of an F1 team, would not be an appropriate leader for the sport's governing body.

Todt's son, Nicolas, is driver manager for Felipe Massa
With Mosley's term set to end this October and no replacement currently announced, a number of rumours have hinted former key players from the teams of Formula One as prime suspects to fill the gap, with Todt - former team principal of Ferrari - top of the list of suggestions. "Unless Max has gone even more mad, I don't think he'll back Jean Todt because we all know where he comes from and who he's linked to," Gracia said to Spain's Onda Cero radio station.

With the FIA member groups such as Gracia's being those who cast votes for the presidency, the Spaniard has already stated his belief that Mosley will stand for re-election at the end of his current term.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pete
Every once in a while they hold a race between the politics in F1.

I have a new quote for my sig! That's awesome!
Old 07-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Todt was Vatenen's Boss at Peugoet Sport , not his co-driver , He was Mikkola's co-driver......
Correct, I remembered that he also co-drive for Vatanen but he didn't. In any case, I nominate Vatanen to be the head of FIA, Todt would be great but there would be too much talking & politics about his past & current Ferrari connections.

Quick Reply: F1 Update: Ding-Dong the Witch is Dead!