Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Update: Ding-Dong the Witch is Dead!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I hope FOTA can continue to change the sport and do things like address the Steward issue and get rid of the stupid tire rule that requires the teams to choose between two non optimum tires - that is a joke.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:43 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I hope FOTA can continue to change the sport and do things like address the Steward issue and get rid of the stupid tire rule that requires the teams to choose between two non optimum tires - that is a joke.
I actually kind of like the tire rule. It a purist sense, it is all wrong, but from forcing a team to exercise strategy, I think it is entertaining. F1 needs all the entertainment factors it can get.

Apparently one of the rule changes FOTA is going to keep is eliminating refueling. While I think the present fueling systems are ridiculous and dangerous, I don't see why they want to take away that element.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
Apparently one of the rule changes FOTA is going to keep is eliminating refueling. While I think the present fueling systems are ridiculous and dangerous, I don't see why they want to take away that element.
I wonder how much actual thought goes into these decisions? If you have to run a full load of fuel, you might as well start with the crappy tires first since the added weight will trash them pretty quickly, eliminating that as real strategic factor as well. Two interest points gone with one swipe of the rules - classic.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I was excited when I heard about the FOTA breakaway. Getting rid of Max now is a step in the right direction but he wasn't the only problem or problematic persona at F1.

FOTA could have started with clean slate- something F1 needs to, but won't, do. It may improve slightly but my expectations are low.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:22 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Ferrari just didn't like all this refueling thing?

So how entertaining would it be if they did Le Mans starts for F1.
Can an F1 driver even buckle himself in and get all the drink hose/telecom plugs all plugged in right.
And then pray the engine fires.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:10 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,491 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Someone here on Rennlist recently wrote that Max might go, but he'll leave claw marks on the floor before he does. This recent statement from King Max appears to be just that....

Mosley braces FIA for tough phase
26 June 2009

FIA president Max Mosley has warned the governing body's World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) in Paris that the sport of Formula One should be prepared for 'difficult times' following the actions of the Formula One Teams Association (FOTA) this week, confirming that their apparent peace deal has now disintegrated.

With fans across the globe delighted to see a compromise found between the FIA and FOTA on Wednesday, the opposite effect is now likely to be seen as Mosley has said on Friday that the teams have not kept their end of the deal. With FOTA having seemingly branded Mosley as a 'dictator' in F1 and wished him a 'good retirement' on Thursday, Mosley has responded with a letter of caution to the WMSC in Paris, stressing the it is and always will be the FIA - and not FOTA - which runs the sport.

'It is disappointing that (Luca) Montezemolo (FOTA chairman) did not keep his part of the bargain we made last Wednesday,' reads Mosley's letter to the rest of the FIA. 'I had anyway decided not to offer myself for re-election next October and, given what I have had to contend with during the last 12 months, I needed a peaceful summer before starting a more leisurely existence. The compromise we found was therefore acceptable to me personally and seemed in the overall interests of Formula 1.'

Luca di Montezemelo, Ferrari president and FOTA chairman
The letter went on to confirm that FOTA may well now set up its own breakaway series and that F1 could suffer as a result: 'But when FOTA falsely claimed that they had ousted me and imposed their will on the FIA, the situation became intolerable. No doubt we face a difficult period. This may well result in short-term problems in Formula 1. It is possible that FOTA will set up an independent series. That is their right, provided they do so under the International Sporting Code.

But the Formula 1 World Championship will continue to be run by the FIA as it has been for 60 years. The Championship has had difficult times in the past and no doubt will again in the future but that is no reason to hand control to an outside body, still less one with little or no understanding of sporting ethics and under the control of an industry we have constantly to monitor.'

FIA president Mosley is understood to be furious with FOTA's actions
Mosley also added that the various sporting committees of each country connected with the FIA are in agreement with the Paris-based federation. 'Member clubs of the FIA from all over the world have made it clear that they will never allow the car industry to decide who may and who may not be president of the FIA,' the letter reads on.

'This has nothing to do with me as an individual, it is about the independence of the FIA and its member clubs as defenders of the motorist and arbiters of international motor sport. In addition to motor sport, the FIA has to defend the interests of the motorist in areas such as road safety and the environment and even basic things like access to technical information for independent garages. This often brings us into conflict with the car industry. When we started EuroNCAP (safety tests scheme), one of the major manufacturers threatened to quit Formula 1 if we did not abandon our activities. The FIA has to be free to confront the car industry whenever necessary.'
Old 06-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Why does Max insist on being such a.......

Old 06-26-2009, 01:57 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ray S
Why does Max insist on being such a.......

Cause he likes wearing skirts and leather?
Old 06-26-2009, 03:12 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ew928
Post of the day,no... week... nah, YEAR!
Old 06-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Benton
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.8
I was excited when I heard about the FOTA breakaway. Getting rid of Max now is a step in the right direction but he wasn't the only problem or problematic persona at F1.

FOTA could have started with clean slate- something F1 needs to, but won't, do. It may improve slightly but my expectations are low.
Agreed. I'm pretty pessimistic... I doubt much will change. There's really not a good solution here until Max and Bernie croak.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:39 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Didn't read all replies but it seems everyone is suggesting J. Todt for the new head FIA position.

Good choice and it will be either him, or Todt's former "boss", a Flying Finn, Ari Vatanen (Todt was Vatanen's co-driver in Rally World Championship back in the day) who also would be a great choice, maybe even better since he has no F1 ties.

If you guys are not familiar with Vatanen, here's a clip of him climbing Pikes Peak, IMO maybe the best motorsport video ever. *****? Talk about *****...

IMO either man will be a great leader.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I nominate Sir Jackie.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:29 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Didn't read all replies but it seems everyone is suggesting J. Todt for the new head FIA position.

Good choice and it will be either him, or Todt's former "boss", a Flying Finn, Ari Vatanen (Todt was Vatanen's co-driver in Rally World Championship back in the day) who also would be a great choice, maybe even better since he has no F1 ties.

If you guys are not familiar with Vatanen, here's a clip of him climbing Pikes Peak, IMO maybe the best motorsport video ever. *****? Talk about *****...

IMO either man will be a great leader.
Todt was Vatenen's Boss at Peugoet Sport , not his co-driver , He was Mikkola's co-driver......
Old 06-29-2009, 04:10 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ew928
Actually he prefers taking them off....to be more precise, having them taken off.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:11 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.8
I nominate Sir Jackie.

After Mosely, I prefer Kimi Raikkonen. No one can understand what he just said, so how bad could he be?

Quick Reply: F1 Update: Ding-Dong the Witch is Dead!