Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are racers more skilled drivers than DE guys?
Duh! Of course they are
81.98%
No! Just look at how many incidents occurred at this year's Crash at the Glen
6.31%
No - they have the same skills but racers have faster cars
11.71%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Are racers more skilled drivers than DE guys?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:45 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think you forgot to include a 4th ("face palm") option...
Old 06-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,598 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
i think you forgot to include a 4th ("face palm") option...
Old 06-23-2009, 05:56 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Cliff Notes version: Racing in the rain in a P car or open cockpit race car is a LITTLE bit different than DE experience. Though I did learn a lot coming up through DE while drving my 911 in the wet. But when you throw in door handle to door handle racing in the rain, BIG difference.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:53 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Now that I think about it..... I did ask a similar question just about a year ago......

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...e-drivers.html
Old 06-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

During winter, I run a go-cart endurance series.

Pretty harmless stuff and great fun. The money to run it, is in comparison to tracking, pocket change. But still, it's racing. And somehow, no matter how relaxed the intentions are, after ½ lap, it gets dead serious. (Surprise? No, not really)

One of the joys is "the pro vs. joe" moment. It contains everything from factory drivers to DE drivers. To sum the results up. All pros are basically in ~a second from each other. DE drivers, instructors and club racers: +2 seconds from each other and are really off pace in the beginning. By the end of the season there is maybe 10% of the these drivers who can truly challenge the pros. Even if it's only temporary for a few laps, they can do it.

So, I my guess is there is plenty of talent out there. But it needs to be polished, practised and financed. But sure, there are some really quick DE drivers, but perhaps not that consistent performance always?
Old 06-23-2009, 06:58 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
as dead mcmahon would say, ho ho ho you are correct sir!
Old 06-23-2009, 07:01 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Either could be a good driver. To put it simple, it takes skill to drive fast around a track. It takes additional skill to do the same in traffic. So, racing will give different skill sets than doing DE's alone. MOST of the time, really good DE guys make good race car drivers.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 06-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

There are always exceptions to the generalities but from my experience as a new racer I would say yes, racers are better drivers for all the reasons stated. I am mid pack at best so I don't have that mystical racer skill yet and I am constantly stunned at the cars/drivers that pass me and the way they pass me, over the curb, sideways , never losing momentum. Some insane stuff goes on on the race track.

As an example, my lap times at the Glen were over 4 seconds better than the last time I was there by necessity. Keep up or get run over.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Poll needs an option 4) Some are some are not.

I've seen some pretty crappy driving in races where courage and a big budget are substitues for driving skill, finess and racecraft.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I've seen some pretty crappy driving in races where courage and a big budget are substitues for driving skill, finess and racecraft.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau

Maybe an option of "almost all are but a few are not". I agree that there are always a few boneheads out there but by and large, most racers are quite skilled.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:04 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Thank you for the explanations. The only reason i asked was i just did a DE and then i started watching some racing. SO i tried the racing line and to me it felt smoother and it was faster.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:11 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Poll, Bad Choices;

There are some extremely talented PCA racers out there. No question about that. There are also at least an equal number that would not make good Red Group DE drivers. No question there either. Some of those guys may improve, and some will not.

The answer to the poll is yes, and no.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:32 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Van
I believe that people with both racing and DE experience usually have more situational awareness than people with just DE experience.

But, I'm going to reserve judgment about which are "better", "faster" or "safer".
Probably going to be the best most reserved response, and I agree.. I'm a DE guy looking into the club race scene soon, I think it's time
Old 06-23-2009, 09:33 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Regarding Lines;

I see no distinction between venues - DE or Race - as to what line you take on a flying lap. The only distinction to be made regards driver skill. If I were to try the wide entry late apex lines that I teach my novice students, I would fly right off the track because I am going too fast on corner entry. If I tried to get my students to drive the tight inside line that I must use at the speed I am going, we would biff for sure. They simply are not going fast enough to make an apex that long without getting in trouble.

So, if you can drive a wide line at full speed, you are either slow or insane(ly talented?). If you have to drive a tight inside line, then you are probably pretty quick.

This all goes out the window when someone else has that line, though.

Quick Reply: Are racers more skilled drivers than DE guys?