Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRG to run a Mercedes SLR in World Challenge?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 02:55 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

We will never see it, unless someone brings us a picture . When are the races going to be shown on TV? I havent seen one yet!!! (except long beach)
Old 06-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
A couple pictures of the car in World Challenge livery at VIR for a recent Mercedes track day with Pumpelly at the wheel:

Based on the stickers, it seems like we may be seeing the car sooner rather than later.

WHOA.

I GOT WOOD.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-23-2009, 03:28 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
We will never see it, unless someone brings us a picture . When are the races going to be shown on TV? I havent seen one yet!!! (except long beach)
I have been recording them on Tivo so I can't be precise as to when they show them but I think I have seen every race this season. The new format is awful. They cram 2 hours of racing into an hour show that flows like mud. IMHO, this is the best racing in America and they can't let us see the whole race so they can show a rerun of Pinks? Come on.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I have my tivo set as well, and thought there was one this weekend. I was racing at Laguna and didnt see it on the list. I hope I didnt miss it. which one was it, NewYork from 3 months ago????

I have heard the 1 hour for both races is a little silly. what a waste!

anyway, Ill do a search and see if I cant record manually when they come up again.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
I have been recording them on Tivo so I can't be precise as to when they show them but I think I have seen every race this season. The new format is awful. They cram 2 hours of racing into an hour show that flows like mud. IMHO, this is the best racing in America and they can't let us see the whole race so they can show a rerun of Pinks? Come on.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:04 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They showed that car, or one like it, at the NY Auto Show, and were touting an "SLR Trophy" series around it. They were looking to build a fleet of them for heeled customers to play with. It sounded much like the Ferrari FXX program. Maybe it didn't fly so they're looking for another venue???
Old 06-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
They showed that car, or one like it, at the NY Auto Show, and were touting an "SLR Trophy" series around it. They were looking to build a fleet of them for heeled customers to play with. It sounded much like the Ferrari FXX program. Maybe it didn't fly so they're looking for another venue???
Yeah. I think read they are only planning to build about 25-30 of them worldwide.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:20 PM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

There was one at the NJMP World Challenge race (without livery). Car was awesome, 1.2mm was quoted as the cost to build.

Charlie
Old 06-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
A couple pictures of the car in World Challenge livery at VIR for a recent Mercedes track day with Pumpelly at the wheel:

Based on the stickers, it seems like we may be seeing the car sooner rather than later.
Side note - Spencer Pumpelly was one of my driving instructors at Skip Barber several years ago. Nice guy, and needless-to-say he could certainly get a Dodge Neon around Sebring in a hurry! I've followed his career ever since - glad to see the success he's achieved.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

my tivo did catch it. Its my first time watching the new format show.
YOu know, I kind of like the new camera crew, and annoucers. Ive always had a man-crush on Tom. that guy has the golden voice and has so much energy in his calling of a race. the video seems to be clearer and they are spending more time looking at the other cars in the race, like the old days

so far, im almost to the end of the GT race Ill let you know how I think about it after its all over. So far, its pretty good

mk

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
Old 06-24-2009, 03:19 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

They buchered the touring car race.

Incredible field. PD Cunningham finished in the back half of the field................5th, out of 8
Old 06-24-2009, 12:30 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
They buchered the touring car race.

Incredible field. PD Cunningham finished in the back half of the field................5th, out of 8
IMO the series has taken a HUGE nosedive over the past few years, the biggest mistake they made was allowing manufacturers in with the tube frames. Even in Touring they allowed way to many modifications. Koni is where it's at now.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:22 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Dont even get me started there. Since 2004, Ive been waving that flag!!

what a concept. stock supercars that have been gutted with minor mods. Grand Am GS, but 1 hour sprint races to make it fun to watch , and cars that are like the ones you buy at the store, gutted , with big tires , minor engine /suspension mods, at a lighter weight than Koni GS.

Originally Posted by MTosi
IMO the series has taken a HUGE nosedive over the past few years, the biggest mistake they made was allowing manufacturers in with the tube frames. Even in Touring they allowed way to many modifications. Koni is where it's at now.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

My thoughts
Old 06-24-2009, 02:56 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

What is the title of these races on Speed? I want to set my Tivo, but I can't seem to find any races coming up... I missed all last season. ;-(
Old 06-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
I agree that that they have allowed way too many mods, like sequential gearboxes and moving suspension pick-up points in TC, etc. But they never allowed tube-framed cars. There are GT cars that have extremely modified chassis, but not true tube frames.

I was hopeful that the WC Vision group would improve the series. I love the sprint format, to me it's more exciting than longer endurance races. But so far I have only managed to watch the Sebring race, the TV coverage has been so random and late that I haven't been able to get any of the others recorded. I think they did a decent job with the 1 hour show I saw but I didn't like it as much as the old format.

They introduced new TC rules to reduce costs and increase participation, they reversed themselves and allowed the new Acuras to run the old engines and sequentials- WTF? Now they have introduced a TC2 class with tighter rules but no prize money.

I really hope they can do something to improve the series and the coverage of it...

Quick Reply: TRG to run a Mercedes SLR in World Challenge?