Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RIP
any idea as to cause of death?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:40 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's what my sources at RA have to say:

Very sad about the fatality in group 4. Somehow he hit the concrete barrier inside turn 8. I heard his brakes failed but that would just put you in the gravel outside 8. I suspect an A-arm or upright broke. Was in qualifying, he would have been on pole.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:16 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

so did the hit on the concrete barrier cause the fatality?

Safety equipment?
Old 06-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jacksonrw
so did the hit on the concrete barrier cause the fatality?

Safety equipment?
I've heard three different stories from people who were on the course to the people working the corner.

None of them match up at all.

The only thing that is consisten is that there wasn't much turning or slowing down done by the car, if any at all.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:53 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Was there much damage on the car?
Old 06-24-2009, 05:00 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
I've heard three different stories from people who were on the course to the people working the corner.

None of them match up at all.

The only thing that is consisten is that there wasn't much turning or slowing down done by the car, if any at all.
+1
I would guess that an Autopsy will be done and we will hear something soon.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

TOPEKA, Kan. (June 24, 2009) – Funeral services have been set for Championship-winning Sports Car Club of America driver Thomas B. Thrash Jr., of Houston, Texas, who died Saturday after a single-car incident during qualifying for the Chicago Region SCCA June Sprints at Road America, in Elkhart Lake, Wis.

The cause of Thrash’s incident is still unconfirmed, although witness reports stated that he appeared to make no attempt to slow the car entering Turn Eight before leaving the track and impacting the tire wall. A member of Thrash’s team stated that the car had functioning brakes and steering after the incident.

A family representative said Monday that no further investigation would take place to determine the exact cause.

Thrash, 48, was the 2007 SCCA Club Racing National Champion in the E Production class and was believed by many to be the favorite for that title again this year in his Mazda RX-7.

Thrash is survived by his wife, Patty; daughters Haley Buck and Lesley Whitley; parents Thomas “Ben” Sr. and Joyce; and sisters Teresa Granhold and Michele Adams. A lifelong Texan, Thrash graduated from Houston’s Pearland High School and graduated from Texas A&M, class of 1983, where he was a member of the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band. Thrash was a mechanical engineer and a partner at DTL Engineering.

Services for Thrash will be held at Memorial Oaks Funeral Home, 13001 Katy Freeway, Houston, Texas 77079. Visitation is scheduled for Friday, June 26 from 6-9 p.m., with the funeral Saturday, June 27 at 10 a.m.

The family has requested that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the youth camp/ministry that Tom Thrash attended as a child and supported since. Donations can be made to R.B. Thieme Jr., Bible Ministries; PO Box 460829, Houston, TX 77056-8829 or visit http://www.rbthieme.org/.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:27 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like natural causes to me, can't be sure, and "no further investigation", but only 48!
Old 06-25-2009, 09:28 AM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

Thanks
we may never really know what happened to Tom
my thoughts are with his family

Quick Reply: Road America fatility